How the Patriots Manage Their Roster

NUance

The Patriot Way: Do You Want to Win a Super Bowl or Not?
The key to New England’s long-term success has been the opposite of spending big money.
<snip>
One agent who has negotiated deals with New England for more than a decade described four categories of players that the Patriots employ in their ever-changing cast of complements to Tom Brady.
• “One is the guy they draft low or sign as unrestricted and let him go when he wants money,” the veteran agent says.
• “Then there’s the malcontent. Corey Dillon, Randy Moss. He might not have the right personality for the team, but he comes for a year or two at below-market value, produces, and then when he wants money you let him go.”
• “Or they find a guy like LeGarrette Blount or Chris Long. Guys near the end of their career who want to win and still have something to offer.”

I think it's all about getting maximum value for every salary dollar on the roster. And the Pats do it better than anyone else in the league. Way better.

• Fire 1

Yup.

Big discussion here in Boston is does Belicek retire when Brady does? Does he pull a Larry Bird and head out early while he's at top or risk the Michael Jordon and fade away (potentially proving it was Brady all along and not his coaching).

I'm not sure what he does, but I think we saw the first 4 games that he can make due without Brady. His defensive mind is something you just don't see often. The way he takes ok players, small, not really being looked at and makes them into a force is mind blowing. Wes Welkers', Amendola, Edelman etc. Keyshawn Sr. had an interview a couple days ago that got a lot of push back here, but a lot of his points were right on imo. There are players that do well here under him that have been unable to perform elsewhere or go elsewhere and don't perform.

• Fire 1

The Patriot Way: Do You Want to Win a Super Bowl or Not?
The key to New England’s long-term success has been the opposite of spending big money.
<snip>
One agent who has negotiated deals with New England for more than a decade described four categories of players that the Patriots employ in their ever-changing cast of complements to Tom Brady.
• “One is the guy they draft low or sign as unrestricted and let him go when he wants money,” the veteran agent says.
• “Then there’s the malcontent. Corey Dillon, Randy Moss. He might not have the right personality for the team, but he comes for a year or two at below-market value, produces, and then when he wants money you let him go.”
• “Or they find a guy like LeGarrette Blount or Chris Long. Guys near the end of their career who want to win and still have something to offer.”

I think it's all about getting maximum value for every salary dollar on the roster. And the Pats do it better than anyone else in the league. Way better.

You mean after Alabama?

• Fire 2

I have nothing but respect for how the Patriots go about their business. All the talk of cheating amounts to no more then excuse making by the rest of the league. I like the direction my Vikings are going with Spielman, and Zimmer, but it's impossible not to admire the "Patriot Way"....

I think the reason cheating by the Pat's gets so much play is because the Pat's have been so good, they'd win without it. The better the team, the higher the standard/expectations around this. Their performance under Belichick has been nothing short of astounding

Even before 2001 the talk around Boston was that "Kraft is cheap, he looks at the price of cheese on his $4 sandwich. The Pats core competency is avoiding losses of salary cap money. Examples include:

not keeping/paying defensive stars in decline.

not drafting an expensive player when said pick can be traded for several free agents

not allowing a single talented drama queen to be a drag on the team.

not spending too much on dispensable players

The Pats were a step ahead in figuring out that many players are basically auto-parts and higher costs for most will not make the car go faster.

But that doesn't apply to Brady who cannot really be replaced. One public relations talking point that I actually believe said that players feel honored to play with the man they watched when they played Pop Warner. That inspires them to risk their bodies just a little more than the opposition; a major advantage in the rough game of football.