Hail Varsity: Keyshawn Johnson Sr.: Recruiting 'Rankings Are for Fools'

LINK

Going forward, Johnson stresses patience to Nebraska fans. Instead of worrying about rankings and win-loss records, he wants fans to take a step back.

“Let the meals cook and wait for it to be prepared at the table,” Johnson said. “That’s all. That’s it. Jut wait for the meal to be cooked and for it to be prepared at the table. Don’t be in such a hurry. You’re not winning a national title next year anyway, so just relax. Let them build the program. You’ve got to let them build the program. You can’t get so caught up in what everybody else is doing because everybody else is already ahead of you. You’re playing catch up because Bo Pelini had you behind. You’re playing catch up now. So just let the program build. Let it build.”

Johnson is also not a fan of suggesting Coach Mike Riley and his staff have a timetable to accomplish their goals. Part of letting the program build is also having realistic expectations.

“Enough with this, ‘He won six games the first year, it’s a disaster!’ and ‘I can’t believe they lost to Iowa and Ohio State!’” Johnson said. “You were going to lose to Ohio State. You were going to lose to Wisconsin. That was going to happen.”

Plus, Johnson saw what Riley and his staff did once at Nebraska to be a good thing. They used the talent they had to the best of their ability, despite it not perfectly fitting their scheme.

“For all the Tommy Armstrong touchdowns, scrambling around, that’s not football,” Johnson said. “You can’t win on a consistent basis with a quarterback like that. When [Riley’s staff] inherited the program, they didn’t even have any quarterbacks that fit their system. Tommy Armstrong was the most experienced and the best available quarterback that was on the roster and that’s what you’ve got. So you had to find creative ways to win with him.”

I love what he has to say... Especially the quoted part above.

• Fire 4

LINK

Going forward, Johnson stresses patience to Nebraska fans. Instead of worrying about rankings and win-loss records, he wants fans to take a step back.

Let the meals cook and wait for it to be prepared at the table, Johnson said. Thats all. Thats it. Jut wait for the meal to be cooked and for it to be prepared at the table. Dont be in such a hurry. Youre not winning a national title next year anyway, so just relax. Let them build the program. Youve got to let them build the program. You cant get so caught up in what everybody else is doing because everybody else is already ahead of you. Youre playing catch up because Bo Pelini had you behind. Youre playing catch up now. So just let the program build. Let it build.

Johnson is also not a fan of suggesting Coach Mike Riley and his staff have a timetable to accomplish their goals. Part of letting the program build is also having realistic expectations.

Enough with this, He won six games the first year, its a disaster! and I cant believe they lost to Iowa and Ohio State! Johnson said. You were going to lose to Ohio State. You were going to lose to Wisconsin. That was going to happen.

Plus, Johnson saw what Riley and his staff did once at Nebraska to be a good thing. They used the talent they had to the best of their ability, despite it not perfectly fitting their scheme.

For all the Tommy Armstrong touchdowns, scrambling around, thats not football, Johnson said. You cant win on a consistent basis with a quarterback like that. When [Rileys staff] inherited the program, they didnt even have any quarterbacks that fit their system. Tommy Armstrong was the most experienced and the best available quarterback that was on the roster and thats what youve got. So you had to find creative ways to win with him.

I don't like how he says you're going to lose to these schools. With that mentality of course we are going to lose. Plus it's sports anything can happen on any given day. As long as we show up to the field we have a chance of winning.

LINK

Let the meals cook and wait for it to be prepared at the table, Johnson said. Thats all. Thats it. Jut wait for the meal to be cooked and for it to be prepared at the table. Dont be in such a hurry. Youre not winning a national title next year anyway, so just relax. Let them build the program. Youve got to let them build the program. You cant get so caught up in what everybody else is doing because everybody else is already ahead of you. Youre playing catch up because Bo Pelini had you behind. Youre playing catch up now. So just let the program build. Let it build.

Enough with this, He won six games the first year, its a disaster! and I cant believe they lost to Iowa and Ohio State! Johnson said. You were going to lose to Ohio State. You were going to lose to Wisconsin. That was going to happen.

For all the Tommy Armstrong touchdowns, scrambling around, thats not football, Johnson said. You cant win on a consistent basis with a quarterback like that. When [Rileys staff] inherited the program, they didnt even have any quarterbacks that fit their system. Tommy Armstrong was the most experienced and the best available quarterback that was on the roster and thats what youve got. So you had to find creative ways to win with him.

I don't like how he says you're going to lose to these schools. With that mentality of course we are going to lose. Plus it's sports anything can happen on any given day. As long as we show up to the field we have a chance of winning.

I agree the team needs to believe they can and will win. However, Vegas and a lot of fans did not think we were going to beat tosu and wisky. Riley was left with no depth and injuries killed us.

LINK

“Let the meals cook and wait for it to be prepared at the table,” Johnson said. “That’s all. That’s it. Jut wait for the meal to be cooked and for it to be prepared at the table. Don’t be in such a hurry. You’re not winning a national title next year anyway, so just relax. Let them build the program. You’ve got to let them build the program. You can’t get so caught up in what everybody else is doing because everybody else is already ahead of you. You’re playing catch up because Bo Pelini had you behind. You’re playing catch up now. So just let the program build. Let it build.”

“Enough with this, ‘He won six games the first year, it’s a disaster!’ and ‘I can’t believe they lost to Iowa and Ohio State!’” Johnson said. “You were going to lose to Ohio State. You were going to lose to Wisconsin. That was going to happen.”

“For all the Tommy Armstrong touchdowns, scrambling around, that’s not football,” Johnson said. “You can’t win on a consistent basis with a quarterback like that. When [Riley’s staff] inherited the program, they didn’t even have any quarterbacks that fit their system. Tommy Armstrong was the most experienced and the best available quarterback that was on the roster and that’s what you’ve got. So you had to find creative ways to win with him.”

I don't like how he claims NU cannot win a national title next year. I would bet that most pundits at the end of last season did not think a team like Washington would make it to the CFP given they did not end last season in the top 25. I'm not saying I think its likely NU would be in that position, but I don't like the mentality that it won't happen.

LINK

I don't like how he claims NU cannot win a national title next year. I would bet that most pundits at the end of last season did not think a team like Washington would make it to the CFP given they did not end last season in the top 25. I'm not saying I think its likely NU would be in that position, but I don't like the mentality that it won't happen.

This team has been a QB who can complete above 53% of his passes away from serious national championship contention for a lonnnggg time. I'm excited to see a QB who is built to start doing that.

This team has been a QB who can complete above 53% of his passes away from serious national championship contention for a lonnnggg time. I'm excited to see a QB who is built to start doing that.

2012 wasn't that long ago, really.

Right? maybe it's just me but I think your list iis wrong if you have Armstrong above or in reality anywhere close to Tmart. They've both finished their 4 years and only with one of them did I feel when healthy could take over a game for you.