Riley and the Direction of the Program

Mavric

State of the Program  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me, I thought we have generally under-achieved for two years in most areas. On the field we had a disaster of a season and one that was OK record-wise but the level of play was lacking. On the recruiting side we had one full class that was pretty much more of the same and one that was a small step forward but nothing special.

However, I feel a lot better than I have with the staff changes we've seen. I feel we have more the type of staff that we should have had from the beginning - better late than never I suppose. Parrella and DWilliams are huge upgrades and I'm optimistic about Diaco - definitely an upgrade with the chance to be really good. Plus all three of those guys are huge recruiting upgrades from their predecessors.

Still not sure about Langsdorf. I don't think he's necessarily a bad coordinator but I'm not sure he's a great fit. But it will be interesting to see what he can do with some different players. I think all three phases should see a noticeable improvement this year. How much that improvement translates into winning more game and winning bigger games will be fun.

• Fire 2

I think we did a pretty good job of fighting through adversity this past season. We lost our entire interior defensive line last spring. We only had one DT left from our previous year's two-deep. Our O-line was a *M*A*S*H* unit of injuries for most of the season. How many combinations of O-line starters did we have last year? We lost our top three playmakers for the end of the season. Tommy, Westy and Nate. Despite all this we put together an okay 9-win season, and landed a pretty decent recruiting class. Give all the stuff we went through, I think the season came out about as good as could be expected. /jmho

• Fire 8

I think we are trending in the right direction. We are in a better spot today than we with what Bo left the program. I think our recruiting has been slightly better - I can't recall Bo bringing in a big time offensive threat like Tyjon who actually made it to campus.

I do agree and wish some of the recent staff changes had been made earlier and think that some of the initial staff hires held us back. Is Nebraska where I wanted them to be after 2 years of Riley? No. But i think we are definitely trending up.

My biggest concern going forward is the length of stay for some of these new additions. I can't think Diaco's life long ambition is being the DC at Nebraska. On one hand, it's good if we see staff attrition because that generally means things are going good. However, it's also difficult to replace top coordinators. Saban fights this every year, and it pretty much cost him a NC this year. Meyer has been trying to find the replacement ever since Herman left. Bill Snyder has been faced with staff attrition ever since he took over at KState.

I was and still am a big fan of the hiring of Riley. I like the direction of the program and the people he's bringing in as either players or staff. However, I'm a little uneasy when looking five or so years into the future.

Year one seemed like a purge year and one of transition. Year two seemed to have the players on board, but purge of dead weight on the staff that shouldn't have been hired to begin with. Now entering year three, there is alot to be happy about: Three options at QB who are made for the offense Riley wants to run, depth on the Oline that doesn't require walk ons throughout the two deep, a swtich to a 3-4 defense which should help the lack of pass rush, and recruting seems to be trending up.

I remain with a wait and see approach. I wan't things to work for Riley, but I feel this year is really the turning point. I don't need a Big 10 Championship next year, but anymore blowout losses and I think it will be hard for me to be in favor of him.

I see trending upwards in almost every area.

We've had a decade of criticism towards our coaches not being willing to fire their friends or cut dead weight - that's changed.

We've had I don't even no how long of absolutely dreadful turnover margins - that's changed.

We're more monetarily and mentally devoted to excellence in recruiting.

We've got the best defensive coordinator we've had in at least 7 years if not longer, and while the jury is out on Langsdorf's time here he is at least very highly regarded.

• Fire 3

I think right after the end of the regular season , from an outside perspective it seemed as if things were trending down and it wasn't looking good for Riley's future. I think Riley has done a great job of turning that around and putting us back on the path to a championship of some sort.

I really do believe we are moving in the right direction now with the staff hirings and recruiting. Can we stay the course as the stakes increase? We shall see but it appears for the first time in a long time there is a sense of urgency to be great again. We are really making moves and when we make them they aren't lateral it seems and I like that. Something previous staffs weren't doing.

I don't want to compare Osborne to Riley as coaches but it's almost like when Osborne was getting later in his career and realized he needed to switch it up to really win I feel like we may be seeing the same thing from HCMR. Doing things out of his normal comfort zone to win now because he knows his time is limited and this is his last shot. It's refreshing because I do feel like HCMR will do whatever it takes to get us back to championship football.

I have a few minutes to kill so here's my take expanded from the comments. I think our coaches are building for 2019 and trying to survive until then.

Changing the course of the ship is going to take a few years and there's a high potential for things to go wrong. We're switching every system and fine tuning what we changed. As a team IMO we've done ok at securing top end talent when they're on. Our starters when they're playing well could beat or hang with almost anyone. However, if they weren't at their best or injuries showed up the wheels came off and we crumbled.

The coaches came in and started playing with what toys they had. First (on offense) they tried to take what was given to them and make it fit their system. That didn't work so they tried to learn a different system to try to make what they had work. That worked a little better, but lets not forget how the offense looked that first game with Fyfe this season. The play calling looked good, things seemed to make sense. I think our offense will thrive with a passer. The caveat to that is our line hasn't looked good. It's possible that injuries did a number on us, but again I think our coaches are looking at righting the program (which is why they stuck with the red shirts). I like the potential of our last two classes but outside of our guards I don't know if our line is that stable for the next year or two.

Defensively, I like who we have coaching, who we have recruiting, and the personnel we have. Well except our DL personnel. I suppose even that might be augmented by I think that our DEs will be good, but our lack of a NT isn't looking great. Again, I think we're heading in the right direction.

I think next year we're looking at another 4 loss season unless Tanner Lee really is a 1st round talent. I think our D will again be good but not great (I like our secondary). My hope is that we can still recruit well even with another blah season. I hope that this coaching staff can survive 2018. I think if we stay on this upward trend in coaching talent and recruiting ability 2019 will be fun. However, until that point I'm prepared for a bumpy ride.

I had to go with the top choice in the poll. Yes Riley's first season was a disaster and there were some pretty concerning things with the level of effort towards the end of this past season, but I still feel the trend has been up and that brighter days are ahead for the program. I think there were 3 or 4 main things that contributed to the woes his first 2 seasons and IMO they all have been/are being addressed satisfactorily.

1-Pelini's departure was fairly rocky and I think that carried over with some of the players. Those issues should be pretty well cleared up just through the passage of 2 years time.

2- QB & Offense. We should now start seeing the offense this staff wants to implement. They had no QB for the system they prefer and now it looks like they will. If this pass happy crap is gonna work, it needs to start working this coming season. Nuff said.

3- The defense. I am most excited about the departure of Banker and the arrival of El Diaco. The 3-4 sounds very interesting but, at this point, anything different than what we've had will likely satisfy me. A little more aggressive and a tougher attitude sure can't hurt. I may be setting myself up for severe disappointment but I really expect a huge improvement here this coming year.

And finally #4- Recruiting and athletes. Pretty pumped about this class and the job this staff been getting done on the recruiting trail. 20-22 rank, whatever it was, doesn't concern me as much as what this class looks like and I think it looks great. Filled the needs nicely with, IMO, generally better prospects than we have been getting in quite awhile. These guys are more than good enough to get the job done. It now depends on how well they can coach 'em up and if their systems are going to actually work in the B1G.

The way I see it, excuses are now a thing of the past. They've got some athletes and they can run the offensive system they want. If I have any concerns it is that our OL may still not be where it needs to be but, that's all on this staff now. I'm very optimistic things are headed in the right direction and glad that any excuses should now be a thing of the past. Git R Done.

• Fire 1

My biggest concern going forward is the length of stay for some of these new additions. I can't think Diaco's life long ambition is being the DC at Nebraska. On one hand, it's good if we see staff attrition because that generally means things are going good. However, it's also difficult to replace top coordinators. Saban fights this every year, and it pretty much cost him a NC this year. Meyer has been trying to find the replacement ever since Herman left. Bill Snyder has been faced with staff attrition ever since he took over at KState.

I was and still am a big fan of the hiring of Riley. I like the direction of the program and the people he's bringing in as either players or staff. However, I'm a little uneasy when looking five or so years into the future.

Diaco has already dabbled some as a HC, unsuccessfully, so maybe he has come to the realization that DCing is his true life's work and will stick around w us for a piece. Assuming he does well, of course.

As to Urban, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't offer Tim Beck the full OC position, because that's why Beck left, to become HERMAN's OC @ Texas. Beck wasn't good enough for NE Fan, of course.

I think we did a pretty good job of fighting through adversity this past season. We lost our entire interior defensive line last spring. We only had one DT left from our previous year's two-deep. Our O-line was a *M*A*S*H* unit of injuries for most of the season. How many combinations of O-line starters did we have last year? We lost our top three playmakers for the end of the season. Tommy, Westy and Nate. Despite all this we put together an okay 9-win season, and landed a pretty decent recruiting class. Give all the stuff we went through, I think the season came out about as good as could be expected. /jmho

I agree with this.

Diaco has already dabbled some as a HC, unsuccessfully, so maybe he has come to the realization that DCing is his true life's work and will stick around w us for a piece. Assuming he does well, of course.

As to Urban, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't offer Tim Beck the full OC position, because that's why Beck left, to become HERMAN's OC @ Texas. Beck wasn't good enough for NE Fan, of course.

Yeah, I'm sure Beck wasn't offered the OC job at tOSU because he was so good. Simpler explanation is that Urbs wasn't impressed with him either.

• Fire 2

Yeah, I'm sure Beck wasn't offered the OC job at tOSU because he was so good. Simpler explanation is that Urbs wasn't impressed with him either.
Well, Urbs loved Herman--the "genius"--and Herman loves Beck, so that's all I know. I'm sure Beck is quite alright makin' the big $ @ Texas.