How to deal with noise complaints... against you :(

I like what Knapp said here "Explain to your landlord, in writing, that you are attempting to live normally. Walking and talking and cooking are normal life activities that you have a right to engage in."

I remember living on the second floor of two story apartment and was called on a Saturday morning from the landlord (not LOMS) about party noise complaint for Friday night. I asked how could that be, since I was 50 miles away in North Denton the past few days camping. Even though she said believed me, they still had to file the complaint in my records - strike one :/

Knapp gave some really good advice. Only things I would add to his comments:

Check the audio recording laws for you state; if single-party consent is allowed, record your conversations with the landlard/manager(s). If you get to a point of having to communicate via written letters, the landlord/manager is usually going to take a harder stance.

I would contact your local Housing Authority and see what you can find out about your complex/landlord from them. Many times if there is 1 old person in a complex like this, it's a subsidized or low income unit situation. If that's the case, you will lose any complaints they make. You may offer to move units to avoid this person with highly sensitive hearing. Lastly, if you can record the noise from others, you can have some evidence of being singled out...

Knapp gave some really good advice. Only things I would add to his comments:

Check the audio recording laws for you state; if single-party consent is allowed, record your conversations with the landlard/manager(s). If you get to a point of having to communicate via written letters, the landlord/manager is usually going to take a harder stance.

I would contact your local Housing Authority and see what you can find out about your complex/landlord from them. Many times if there is 1 old person in a complex like this, it's a subsidized or low income unit situation. If that's the case, you will lose any complaints they make. You may offer to move units to avoid this person with highly sensitive hearing. Lastly, if you can record the noise from others, you can have some evidence of being singled out...

Nebraska is a one-party consent state.

Can the apartment manager go to the down apartment and listen to you walk and your tv noise? I seem to remember a friend having a very similar problem and the complex ended up putting some sort of subflooring in that eased the noise. If it's an older apartment maybe the spacing or material between apartments is inadequate. I don't know if it is carpeted, but maybe there is a supersonic carpet pad that can be installed.