Colorado Football Domestic Abuse Scandal

NUance

Seeking justice for alleged abuse, victim of Colorado assistant confronts big-time college football

By Michael McKnight, www.si.com Friday February 3rd, 2017

<snip>

“I told (coach) Mac I was terrified to talk to him and it was the hardest decision I had ever made,” Jane later told SI. Tumpkin, her boyfriend of three years, had repeatedly and violently abused her during the last two of those years, she told MacIntyre.
Over the course of this 34-minute call, Jane told MacIntyre that the physical abuse had begun right after Tumpkin accepted the CU job in February 2015. He and Jane had been staying at the Renaissance Boulder Flatiron Hotel when, after one of the many arguments about his infidelity that complicated their relationship, Jane says the former collegiate defensive lineman, who is approximately 6'1", 220 pounds, “choked me, threw me up against the walls, and bit me in the face.” The 22 months after that first episode were marked by similar assaults, according to Jane.
The media will be all over this.
I dunno what's with these guys. Why would a guy beat up his girlfriend? Multiple times?? If he couldn't get along with her, why not just break it off and find a new SO. Both of them would be better off.
  • Fire 2

Tumpkin's issues here have been the worst-kept secret (out here) for quite a while. If it wasn't for the egregious football assault scandals (Baylor/Minny/etc), CU would have sat on it longer. They still didn't fire him, they allowed him to resign.

The previous AD (Bohn) supported/created a hostile environment towards females, especially by the male athletes. It was hard to listen to his Title IX hypocrisy. The new administration has just a passing interest in changing this culture since the Athletic Dept is so estranged from the Academic side of the university regardless of what they do. The Boulder PD is an active enabler in this as well.

It's a very sad situation and I hope the ex-girlfriend is able to get past her ordeal...

Yeah, and the article makes it sound like the girlfriend didn't want to sue them or get her abusive coach/boyfriend fired. She just wanted him to get help for his problem. HC MacIntyre could have nipped this in the bud if he had engaged her and worked through the problem with her. Instead, he sicked the lawyers on her. Bad on them. They deserve a scandal.