End of Net Neutrality

On 12/16/2017 at 8:23 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

If all the horrors that the regulation lovers actually suggest (thev have not so far), then it is just as easy to reimpose net control as it was to terminate.   The internet has been so great without it, why on Earth would we want it now?   What bad experiences has anyone suffered before Obama and Dems imposed it?   I would really like to know.  The internet has thrived and exploded into such a popular, highly functional system.   Why would we want to stifle it so now?   The free market is the most effective and efficient way to improve society and make people's lives better.   The more open, free and and uncontrolled the more competition will develop bigger, faster, smarter and CHEAPER.   

You literally have everything completely backwards in the above paragraph which is exactly what the people doing this want. They want you to think what you're saying is the case, but it's a complete lie.

The internet IS unregulated RIGHT NOW. And the way it is now is NOT something that was imposed by Obama or the "Dems." They were keeping with the status quo by closing a loophole the telecomm companies had found. Please read more about it instead of remaining ignorant.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

On 12/30/2017 at 2:52 AM, Moiraine said:

You literally have everything completely backwards in the above paragraph which is exactly what the people doing this want. They want you to think what you're saying is the case, but it's a complete lie.

The internet IS unregulated RIGHT NOW. And the way it is now is NOT something that was imposed by Obama or the "Dems." They were keeping with the status quo by closing a loophole the telecomm companies had found. Please read more about it instead of remaining ignorant.

No, I think he's got it all correct. The free market gave us clean water, clean air, reasonable work hours, safe work environments, fair trading practices, plethora of consumer choices, clear and fair billing systems, a nation wide fiber optic system that we as tax payers paid for and the telecoms built. Oh wait, they just took our money and didn't build anything...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

No, I think he's got it all correct. The free market gave us clean water, clean air, reasonable work hours, safe work environments, fair trading practices, plethora of consumer choices, clear and fair billing systems, a nation wide fiber optic system that we as tax payers paid for and the telecoms built. Oh wait, they just took our money and didn't build anything...

Your post went over my head, or I just don't get the point you're trying to make. Care to elaborate?

When I say everything in his post is backwards, I'm talking about what Net Neutrality is and does. I wasn't arguing against the free market in general. Ending Net Neutrality basically takes away the free market for everyone except the Telecomm companies.

Edited by Moiraine

My point is that the poster is often detached from the realities of this country and world. Thinking that the free market is the answer to everything is asinine and flys in the face of history and reality. Telecom companies have lied and mislead consumers and the government for years, believing that net neutrality would some how stiffle the internet, and that telecoms won't charge for fast lanes, is beyond laughable. Open free and uncontrolled does not lead to more competition in the free market, it leads to less competition as companies merge and buy each other up. Which is why we are basically stuck with AT&T, Comcast, and Time Warner controlling the ISP market, and constantly trying to aquire each other to leave consumers with even fewer choices.

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

My point is that the poster is often detached from the realities of this country and world. Thinking that the free market is the answer to everything is asinine and flys in the face of history and reality. Telecom companies have lied and mislead consumers and the government for years, believing that net neutrality would some how stiffle the internet, and that telecoms won't charge for fast lanes, is beyond laughable. Open free and uncontrolled does not lead to more competition in the free market, it leads to less competition as companies merge and buy each other up. Which is why we are basically stuck with AT&T, Comcast, and Time Warner controlling the ISP market, and constantly trying to aquire each other to leave consumers with even fewer choices.

Ok, thanks. I thought you were being sarcastic in some way but I wasn't getting it, heh.

I found prior to Net Nutraulity the internet worked fine, and even after it was repealed it works fine today... Don't by into a fancy name- "Net neutrality" "affordable healthcare" "planned parenthood"--all misnomers IMHO... the free market works fine.  If someone wishes to invest in faster ISPs etc.. then those willing to pay the extra cost, can have a fast track pass just like Disney

Edited by Vizsla1
  • Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:

I found prior to Net Nutraulity the internet worked fine, and even after it was repealed it works fine today... Don't by into a fancy name- "Net neutrality" "affordable healthcare" "planned parenthood"--all misnomers IMHO... the free market works fine.  If someone wishes to invest in faster ISPs etc.. then those willing to pay the extra cost, can have a fast track pass just like Disney

Nobody got ticketed for speeding before they invented cars, either.  Worked just fine, right?

But then they invented cars, and someone got the bright idea to go too fast. Wreck. People hurt.  Need a law to fix that, since people aren't being responsible and not speeding, right?

Is that a bad law?  Should we abolish speeding laws because prior to Henry Ford putting cars on the road, there was no speeding? 

What's really going to be hilarious is when the people who rail against higher taxes find themselves paying gobs more money for the Internet because that extra money is necessary to keep it running the telecom companies just want more of your money. You're upset about high taxes, but you have no problem paying more money for the internet. 

Makes perfect sense.

• Plus1 2

The main function of a corporation is to make money for stockholders, and upper management. They aren't there to care about us, or do the right thing.  Pulling regulations off of them only gives them more leeway to take more, and give less. Slowing speeds of competitors, and  charging you more for their services is to their advantage , so of course they will do that. Most places there is no viable choice of providers, so competition, and free market don't do consumers any good either.

Edited by Big Red 40
37 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

The main function of a corporation is to make money for stockholders, and upper management. They aren't there to care about us, or do the right thing.  Pulling regulations off of them only gives them more leeway to take more, and give less. Slowing speeds of competitors, and  charging you more for their services is to their advantage , so of course they will do that. Most places there is no viable choice of providers, so competition, and free market don't do consumers any good either.

Maybe I'm naïve, but why can't doing the right thing and making money be the same thing?  Why is it always presented as an either/or proposition?

To the part in navy blue...perhaps SOMEONE should tell FCC Chairman Ajit Pai that.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Vizsla1 said:

See this is where it pays to actually understand technology at all, or to try and be actually informed on an issue.  NN is exactly how the internet work(ed) fine for the past 20+ years!  it is the premise that any data packet you send or receive over the network should be treated equally by your ISP to every other data packet sent or received regardless of source or destination, that's it, that's all.

It's got nothing to do with faster connections for you or anyone else.

Nobody is complaining that comcast, verizon, and cox et al. are going to be building special bigger data links to some businesses.  Because that isn't what they were doing or why they are fighting against this.  They see you as a commodity that they own because you have s#!t for choices in actual ISPs.  They want to charge the companies who's content you want to access for the data they send to you, and any company that doesn't pay up they will simply slow down the traffic coming from in software on their network equipment.  This isn't going to result in more innovation in networks or faster internet speeds.  In fact its the exact opposite, doing this allows them to not invest in their network as much, because they can throttle the data you the paying customer tries to access down to a speed they decide you should access it at, unless that company also pays them for un-throttled access to you. "Hey netflix, we've got 50 million customers, probably 10million are your subscribers, sure would be a shame if they all were buffering half the night and chose our competing service instead."

They can also throttle things they don't like based on protocol. Things like torrents, other file sharing applications or VPNs, or simply cut off the ability to use outside services like some isps have tried with VOIP phone services.  I'll let you in on a little secret, in order to do that they are looking at all the data you are sending and receiving on the network, that's got a fancy term too, deep packet inspection.  You know your favorite party just made it okay for them to sell that data too.  So on top of throttling your connection to sites that don't pay up they also get to spy on you and sell the data detailing what you and anyone in your household access and when.

In short, don't let your republican masters spout the same old tired bulls#!t and pull the wool over your eyes yet again.  Just remember to think for yourself, when they start spouting "regulation bad, free market solves everything, taxes are bad, entitlements the devil."  What they are actually saying is this regulation is bad for the giant telecoms and cable cabal increasing their profits without doing any actual upgrading or innovating, but those guys pay for our election and we don't want that to end.

Edited by methodical
  • Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Maybe I'm naïve, but why can't doing the right thing and making money be the same thing?  Why is it always presented as an either/or proposition?

To the part in navy blue...perhaps SOMEONE should tell FCC Chairman Ajit Pai that.

I don't think it has to be an either or proposition its mostly just a matter of motivation. Money , stock prices, projected earnings etc are the driving force behind most  corporate decisions , everything else is secondary. 

I'm sure many many people have told Ajit the don't want this (85%?) It seems as though he simply doesn't care though. Its good for corporations, and that's where his alliances are. 

4 hours ago, Vizsla1 said:

I found prior to Net Nutraulity the internet worked fine

!!! No you didn't. You have no idea how the internet works without it. Net Neutrality has always existed. !!!

In April 2014, the FCC reported a new draft rule that would have permitted ISPs to offer content providers a faster track to send content, thus reversing its earlier net neutrality position.[11] In May 2014, the FCC decided to consider two options: permitting fast and slow broadband lanes, thereby compromising net neutrality; and second, reclassifying broadband as a telecommunication service, thereby preserving net neutrality

The latter is what happened while Obama was president. Obama kept the status quo after the Telecomm companies found a legal loophole.

The people who run Fox News and all of the other biased conservative news sources are freakin' geniuses.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Vizsla1 said:

The internet worked fine prior to "Net Nutraulity" because Net Neutrality protected, by law, the standards by which the internet had operated since it's popular inception. 

So if I am reading the majority here correctly, you (majority) believe the government always knows best. Apparently, you have not been watching as cable TV (a highly regulated and government controlled entity) dies a slow death, because the internet is much cheaper, and with more options to watch programs on! Why do you think the government wants control of the internet? It's because they are losing control over what you watch! (Remember, the Obama Care was to bring costs down, you can keep your dr..it was about control) They try to sell it as if its good for you, which is how they sell everything that gives them more control over your life!

My uncle was a Telecom Engineer of over 30 years, having lived through the debacle of the wireless roll out courtesy of the FCC, I got to see the FCC's ineptitude up close and personal. The FCC's indecision and bungling delayed the introduction of cellular technology by 40 years and smart phone technology by 10 years. 

The USA is the world leader in the development of internet technology; precisely because it has been relatively unfettered by federal and state regulation.