End of Net Neutrality

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

This has already happened in Portugal, where they did away with net neutrality. It was almost overnight and Internet costs not only more than doubled in many cases, there’s been “Problems” with TV over ISP providers having steams throttled down or dropped.

91122F29-0676-4D12-A6A9-E4E8694D48FC.jpeg

Apparently Pai's plan to deal with throttling is by "requiring transparency about which providers are throttling or cutting special deals with certain sites."

I wonder only what kind of BS hidden URL they're going to stow that info behind or what other hoops we'll have to go through to get it. 

It wont even matter for a lot of people. If you have one provider available, it's not like you have much of a choice...

Here's another important detail:

Simply abolishing net neutrality isn't enough for our corporate overlords. They pushing Pai's FCC for even more:

Comcast, AT&T and Verizon lobbied the commission ahead of the plan's release to include language saying states can’t jump in with their own net neutrality rules.

The FCC Chair, Ajit Pai, used to work for Verizon, by the way. They want to dump net neutrality and double dip by making sure states can't impose their own net neutrality rules to protect consumers. Some might call it... corporate greed?

But hey, everyone knows how badly Comcast, AT&T & Verizon are hurting right now, right? 

• Plus1 1

I'm actually surprised more business aren't against this, outside of your telecommunications companies.  Every company I have worked for, including my current one, the ERP is a web based system.  Add in websites that we have, email systems, etc.  Companies are web reliant.   Also, every company I worked for has always looked for ways to reduce costs.  This goes to fortune 500 companies to family owned businesses.   They cost of doing business is about to go up, if what people are saying is true regarding the end to net neutrality.    What I am understanding is not only will one of my necessary luxury items be going up in price but all of my other goods and services I buy will be going up as companies will be looking to offset the cost of rising internet bills by passing the increase to me as a customer.  Sounds like it's a double win for telecommunications companies.  A net loss to majority of other businesses and a double hit to me as a consumer.

• Plus1 3

CONTACT THE FCC AND SHARE YOUR OPINION ABOUT THE POTENTIAL REPEAL OF NET NEUTRALITY:

Call:  888-225-5322

Hit Option: 1, then option 4, then option 2 then option 0.

You are filing a compliant on filing 17-108.

Example script: "I'm registering a complaint as I feel repealing net neutrality will hurt small businesses and the american people, especially those in rural communities. Corporations should not be allowed to decide who wins and who loses my business.  Repealing net neutrality will hurt America."

You can also file online by:

www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express

Enter 17-108 in the first field and complete the form.

• Plus1 2

Guys--make your voice heard. Go to www.gofccyourself.com, and it will take you directly to the page you need to go to for posting a comment.

Select 'New Filing' on the right hand side (across from 17-108 under Proceedings), then select the 'Express Comment' header on the new page.

Fill in the required information, put your comment in the blank, and select the 'Email Confirmation' box to get email confirmation that your comment went through. 

This is pretty important folks--it's not just a communication or access issue, but it's an economical one too, especially considering the amount of business done online which would be hamstrung by Net Neutrality being removed. Prices would go up, start-ups would be more difficult to get going (if at all), and network speeds and availability would likely stagnate (at best). 

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...