Here comes the offseason: Projected S&P+ Rankings for 2017

Saunders

The preseason S&P+ projections are a pretty simple mix of three factors: recent history, returning production, and recruiting. Over the last few days, I have posted about each.

To come up with preliminary projections, I create projected ratings based on each factor. Here’s how the process currently works:

• Recruiting is easy. I simply create a projected rating based on these two-year recruiting rankings. The recruiting-based projection makes up 25 percent of the overall S&P+ projection.
  • For returning production, I apply projected changes (based on each team’s returning offensive and defensive production, which are on different scales) to last year’s S&P+ averages. The projection based on returning production accounts for 56 percent.
  • For recent history, I’ve gotten a little weird. I found that the previous year’s S&P+ ratings were carrying a little too much weight in the projections, so what you see below is a projection based solely off of seasons two to five years ago. Recent history now carries less weight in the overall formulas, only 19 percent. It basically acts as a slight supplement to the two factors above.
Enough talk. Here are the preliminary projected S&P+ rankings for 2017.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/3/14496224/2017-college-football-rankings-projections

Huskers check in at #42.

• Fire 2

How returning production in four different offensive stats correlates with changes in Offensive S&P+ ratings:
(The higher the number, the more likely returning production in these areas is to coincide with strong offense.)
Receiving yards correlation: 0.320
Passing yards correlation: 0.231
Rushing yards correlation: 0.126
Offensive line starts correlation: 0.096
The conclusion remains: Continuity in the passing game matters a hell of a lot, and continuity in the run game doesn’t have as strong an impact.

So let me get this straight: According to SBnation, we're gonna be starting either Tanner Lee or POB (or perhaps Tristan Gebbia) instead of Tommy, and our passing game is going to get *worse*?? Ha ha! That's not happening. :lol:
  • Fire 3

Final Sagarin NU ranking:

2013---38

2014---29

2015---42

2016---45

Our starting lineup doesn't look to be much different overall compared to the recent past (13, 14 had 3 stars AA, Kenny, Randy). Expecting NU to end way higher like 20, 15, etc, you need to make the significant upgrades arguments.

Maybe OL, maybe QB, maybe D and ST coaching...will upgrade enough for a 25 spot jump, but mostly likely not.

• Fire 1

How returning production in four different offensive stats correlates with changes in Offensive S&P+ ratings:
(The higher the number, the more likely returning production in these areas is to coincide with strong offense.)
Receiving yards correlation: 0.320
Passing yards correlation: 0.231
Rushing yards correlation: 0.126
Offensive line starts correlation: 0.096
The conclusion remains: Continuity in the passing game matters a hell of a lot, and continuity in the run game doesn’t have as strong an impact.

So let me get this straight: According to SBnation, we're gonna be starting either Tanner Lee or POB (or perhaps Tristan Gebbia) instead of Tommy, and our passing game is going to get *worse*?? Ha ha! That's not happening. :lol:

It's not an in-depth personnel look, but a statistical analysis. It doesn't take into account scheme changes.