ESPN B1G Blog: Way-too-early Big Ten Power Rankings

Saunders

Signing day is over. So it's time for us to update our way-too-early Big Ten Power Rankings for 2017, which debuted Jan. 10.

How did recruiting affect the pecking order? Glad you asked:

1. Ohio State (four first-place votes): The Buckeyes led our first way-too-early power rankings and stay on top after signing a star-studded class ranked No. 2 in the country by ESPN RecruitingNation. The new crop of blue-chippers, especially in the defensive backfield, should offset another wave of early NFL defections. The offense should improve under the direction of former Indiana coach Kevin Wilson.

2. Penn State: Best quarterback-running back duo in the country? It's quite possibly in State College, where Trace McSorley and Saquon Barkley return. James Franklin will have a veteran team that could dig down for reinforcements from a recruiting class that finished No. 17.

T-3. Michigan: The Wolverines move up slightly in the power rankings after signing the No. 6 class in the country, which was badly needed given how many valuable seniors are gone. New recruit Aubrey Solomon and last year's recruiting prize Rashan Gary could form a terrifying defensive line duo in the near future.

T-3. Wisconsin: The Badgers' class didn't wow the analysts, but they simply know how to evaluate and develop in Madison. Wisconsin remains the team to beat in the West Division until proven otherwise.

T-5. Nebraska: Mike Riley's staff pulled in the No. 21 class in the country, a much-needed infusion of talent. There will be several position battles to watch this spring in Lincoln, particularly at quarterback.

T-5. Northwestern: How's this for academic appeal: Defensive tackle Joe Spivak chose to walk on for the Wildcats instead of taking scholarship offers at Michigan State and elsewhere. Pat Fitzgerald's team is in great shape in the offensive backfield, with running back Justin Jackson gunning for a fourth-straight 1,000-yard season and quarterback Clayton Thorson coming off a 3,000-yard sophomore campaign.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/141263/ohio-state-leads-post-signing-day-way-too-early-big-ten-power-rankings

• Fire 3

I don't think Wisconsin will have the offense to be #3 in the B1G. They lost too much of their offensive line. They're gonna have two RS freshmen and a sophomore on their O-line. Just sayin..

To me, it's all about their defense. It's been elite the last few years. But now that they've lost Aranda and Wilcox back to back (and promoted a position coach to DC)I'm curious to see if there's drop off.

I don't think Wisconsin will have the offense to be #3 in the B1G. They lost too much of their offensive line. They're gonna have two RS freshmen and a sophomore on their O-line. Just sayin..

To me, it's all about their defense. It's been elite the last few years. But now that they've lost Aranda and Wilcox back to back (and promoted a position coach to DC)I'm curious to see if there's drop off.

Not just a position coach to DC, a position coach with 1 year of coaching experience to DC.

Wisconsin deserves to be the preseason favorite in the West. They have gone to (i think) 4 of the 6 B1G CCGs.

They absolutely deserve to be the favorites. We have to prove we can beat them. I like our chances going foward, becasue we seem to be hiring assistants that have some fire in their bellies. Nebraska is trending up, in large part, because Riley has acknowledged at the end of his first 2 seasons that we weren't good enough.

• Fire 6

Not just a position coach to DC, and position coach with 1 year of coaching experience to DC.

True. Didn't realize that!

Its all about their front 7 to me. Gives them the right to be early favorites.

The do lose a sneaky bit of talent on offense. Ramczyk- An all American, Clement, Ogunbowale- Who killed us last year and was the type of back that gave us fits. Do return Fumagalli and Hornibrook(Not really scared of him though.)

Its all about their front 7 to me. Gives them the right to be early favorites.

The do lose a sneaky bit of talent on offense. Ramczyk- An all American, Clement, Ogunbowale- Who killed us last year and was the type of back that gave us fits. Do return Fumagalli and Hornibrook(Not really scared of him though.)

Yeah, that's the thing. The Badgers lose a ton of talent on offense--pretty much their whole O-line. And on D, which was their strength last year, they have a new coordinator. Okay, sure we have a new DC as well. But for us it's an upgrade. For Wisconsin it's an unknown: First time DC who has exactly one year of position coaching under his belt. One year!

Wisconsin beat us by 6 points last October up in Camp Randall. This year it will be different. I think we'll beat them when they come to Lincoln. I'd put NU at the #3 spot in that Power Ranking, with Wisconsin just behind us. /jmho