2018 Offensive Line Recruiting

To be fair rairdon and a few others that were ranked high were already in the fold when cav got here. Farniok was his prize. So he's been more unimpressive than the numbers even suggest

Disagree.... he had to win them back into the fold. Even if commited (not sure they were) he had to go win them over and impress them. They must be equated into the equation.

To be fair rairdon and a few others that were ranked high were already in the fold when cav got here. Farniok was his prize. So he's been more unimpressive than the numbers even suggest

Disagree.... he had to win them back into the fold. Even if commited (not sure they were) he had to go win them over and impress them. They must be equated into the equation.
Brokop and Raridon were both committed well before Cav was even a thought. You could maybe argue that he had to keep Brokop in the fold but have zero ground to say the same with Raridon. Raridon was a legacy kid who never wavered a bit when the old staff was fired. He committed to the university and it didn't matter who the staff was.
  • Fire 1

Would rather have a lower rated 6'7 OT prospect with good athleticism than the higher rated 6'4 OT prospect that will just end up being a guard or center.

Also for those that are complaining about not going after the highest rated prospects, last year we spent significant time going after Sarell and Filiaga and missed out and the board was complaining we didn't have any back ups.

Cav has been an above average recruiter, just have to wait and see if he can develop them.

Please elaborate on this.
Farniok, Jaimes were two solid OTs that Cav did a good job with, pretty sure Farniok even cited his relationship with Cav as the X factor.

I also think Wilson is a good example of talent evaluation, I think it's pretty clear he deserved a higher rating and we did a good job of identifying him.

And yeah keeping Raridon was an easy job but still not a gimme.

All I'm saying is O-line is arguably the toughest to evaluate and recruit, I think Cav has done a decent job identifying some underrated talent (Wilson and Jaimes). I'm not sold on how well he will be able to develop them but I think we have better pieces here than when he got here.

Would rather have a lower rated 6'7 OT prospect with good athleticism than the higher rated 6'4 OT prospect that will just end up being a guard or center.

Also for those that are complaining about not going after the highest rated prospects, last year we spent significant time going after Sarell and Filiaga and missed out and the board was complaining we didn't have any back ups.

Cav has been an above average recruiter, just have to wait and see if he can develop them.

Farniok, Jaimes were two solid OTs that Cav did a good job with, pretty sure Farniok even cited his relationship with Cav as the X factor.

I also think Wilson is a good example of talent evaluation, I think it's pretty clear he deserved a higher rating and we did a good job of identifying him.

All I'm saying is O-line is arguably the toughest to evaluate and recruit, I think Cav has done a decent job identifying some underrated talent (Wilson and Jaimes). I'm not sold on how well he will be able to develop them but I think we have better pieces here than when he got here.

So you are impressed by 3 guys out of 4 classes?

Raridon was a gimme:

"So you commit, then the coaching staff got fired. What was going through your mind when that happened?"

"It didnt really bother me, to be honest. I had a feeling that could happen either before I got there or soon after I get there, so I tried to make my decision based on other aspects of the school and not the coaching staff."

• Fire 2

Raridon was a gimme:

"So you commit, then the coaching staff got fired. What was going through your mind when that happened?"

"It didnt really bother me, to be honest. I had a feeling that could happen either before I got there or soon after I get there, so I tried to make my decision based on other aspects of the school and not the coaching staff."

I was asked to elaborate on why I think Cav is a decent recruiter. I listed 3 players where I thought he did a solid job. Does that mean I think he is the greatest OL coach in college football? No, it just means that IMO he isn't near as bad as everyone here is making him out to be. Like I also stated above, it'll all depend on how he develops the talent he has acquired.

Put down the pitch forks and give the man a chance to do his job. Riley has shown that he is willing to make changes when someone isn't getting the job done and that hasn't happened yet.

• Fire 1

Raridon was a gimme:

I was asked to elaborate on why I think Cav is a decent recruiter. I listed 3 players where I thought he did a solid job. Does that mean I think he is the greatest OL coach in college football? No, it just means that IMO he isn't near as bad as everyone here is making him out to be. Like I also stated above, it'll all depend on how he develops the talent he has acquired.

Put down the pitch forks and give the man a chance to do his job. Riley has shown that he is willing to make changes when someone isn't getting the job done and that hasn't happened yet.

It's also worth noting that he kept us in the running for Foster Serrel (sic?) last year. While it wasn't a win, it's not something to thumb our noses at. What I need to see from him is his ability to develop though.

• Fire 2

One tackle Nebraska notably hasn’t offered is a juco All-American at nearby Iowa Western in Council Bluffs. Anthony McKinney (6-8, 320, from Illinois) is a four-star player according to 247 and Rivals and already has scholarships extended by 13 schools like Oklahoma, Oregon, Georgia and TCU.

OWH

• Fire 1

One tackle Nebraska notably hasn’t offered is a juco All-American at nearby Iowa Western in Council Bluffs. Anthony McKinney (6-8, 320, from Illinois) is a four-star player according to 247 and Rivals and already has scholarships extended by 13 schools like Oklahoma, Oregon, Georgia and TCU.

OWH

I could go on and on about how annoyed I get about us seemingly completely writing off Iowa Western, but its been stated numerous times on this board already so I'll just say that this is very disappointing.

• Fire 1

One tackle Nebraska notably hasnt offered is a juco All-American at nearby Iowa Western in Council Bluffs. Anthony McKinney (6-8, 320, from Illinois) is a four-star player according to 247 and Rivals and already has scholarships extended by 13 schools like Oklahoma, Oregon, Georgia and TCU.

OWH

I could go on and on about how annoyed I get about us seemingly completely writing off Iowa Western, but its been stated numerous times on this board already so I'll just say that this is very disappointing.
It is disappointing, especially when we seem very interested in getting a high end JUCO OT. But instead we'll chase the two from Brooklyn and miss out.