Resistance Action Items

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/06/the-real-resistance-to-trump-the-gop-congress-215230

Politico article stating the real resistance comes from the GOP congress.

quotes

Donald Trump’s young presidency is already prompting many Americans to dust off their high-school civics knowledge and think again about concepts like the “separation of powers,” interbranch “checks and balances,” and the proper functioning of the federal government. At the same time, it is prompting many pundits, especially but not exclusively on the left, to worry that Trump presents an unprecedented threat to the Constitution.

Many are asking aloud questions that in recent times had only been whispered: Do the Constitution’s checks and balances still work? Is James Madison’s eighteenth-century notion that “ambition” could be trusted to “counteract ambition” applicable to an era of partisanship so intense that it’s warping people’s very conceptions of reality? Can the other constitutional branches—and especially Congress—check President Trump?

Story Continued Below

As it turns out, the answer thus far is—more or less—yes: Congress is providing a check on President Trump’s powers. It may not be happening as swiftly or as comprehensively as some Democrats might like, but the legislative branch is making its weight felt in the Trump era in a manner that, if it continues, bids fair to leave Trump with a reputation as an extraordinarily weak modern president.

If Trump remains unpopular—and especially if his unpopularity drags down the reelection prospects of other Republicans, as this year’s special elections thus far suggest—then conditions will be especially ripe for Republican pushback. And, at the extreme, if Trump’s presidency at some point really does look like it’s going down in flames, Republicans might sense the chance to develop a bipartisan reputation for heroism by vigorously opposing him.

So that brings us back to our initial question: Is Congress strong enough to stand up to Trump?

Let’s begin with a congressional tool already discussed above: the power of the purse. Republican elites—both governors and members of Congress—have been overwhelmingly critical of the Trump White House’s budget proposals, and it seems apparent that both the deep cuts to many existing programs and a number of the specific programs that Trump does want to fund (the border wall, for example) are unlikely to survive the congressional budget process.

Relatedly, Congress appears to be in no hurry to enact much of Trump’s desired legislative agenda. After significant turmoil, the House finally passed the American Healthcare Act, but even before its dismal CBO score, a number of Senate Republicans made it clear that the upper chamber would draft its own bill. Senator Burr recently said that he did not think the Senate would pass a health-care bill this year—a remarkable on-the-record admission from a member of the majority party. And, of course, even if the Senate passed a health-care bill, it would be another Herculean struggle to get it through the House again.

Nor is health care the only part of Trump’s legislative agenda that has failed to make it through Congress. Neither an infrastructure bill nor a tax reform plan has yet materialized, and Trump faces the very real possibility of having no major legislative accomplishments in his first year in office.

Another domain in which Congress might push back against a president is that of personnel. Here, Trump’s record with Congress has in some sense been better. Only one of his cabinet nominees, Andrew Puzder, nominated as secretary of labor, has failed in the Senate. And by nominating an establishment conservative—the sort of nominee President Marco Rubio might have chosen—as his Supreme Court pick, Trump ensured that the Senate Republican caucus held together.

But in another sense, appointments have been a trouble spot for this administration. The administration has been almost shockingly slow to staff up at the sub-cabinet level, and the time required to confirm those nominees later will detract still further from Trump’s legislative agenda. Moreover, Trump is certain to face significant trouble getting his choice of a new FBI director confirmed after having fired James Comey—which may partly explain why five candidates have withdrawn from consideration in the last few weeks.

Investigations offer another potent means by which Congress can confront a president, especially this president. There are currently four committees investigating links between Russia and the Trump campaign and administration. Many critics of the administration are frustrated by the pace of these investigations. But while there is little doubt they’d be going faster if Democrats controlled one chamber, the extent to which these investigations have proceeded and have damaged the administration is remarkable, especially for an administration less than 150 days old

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/06/the-real-resistance-to-trump-the-gop-congress-215230

Politico article stating the real resistance comes from the GOP congress.

quotes

Donald Trump’s young presidency is already prompting many Americans to dust off their high-school civics knowledge and think again about concepts like the “separation of powers,” interbranch “checks and balances,” and the proper functioning of the federal government. At the same time, it is prompting many pundits, especially but not exclusively on the left, to worry that Trump presents an unprecedented threat to the Constitution.

Many are asking aloud questions that in recent times had only been whispered: Do the Constitution’s checks and balances still work? Is James Madison’s eighteenth-century notion that “ambition” could be trusted to “counteract ambition” applicable to an era of partisanship so intense that it’s warping people’s very conceptions of reality? Can the other constitutional branches—and especially Congress—check President Trump?

Story Continued Below

As it turns out, the answer thus far is—more or less—yes: Congress is providing a check on President Trump’s powers. It may not be happening as swiftly or as comprehensively as some Democrats might like, but the legislative branch is making its weight felt in the Trump era in a manner that, if it continues, bids fair to leave Trump with a reputation as an extraordinarily weak modern president.

If Trump remains unpopular—and especially if his unpopularity drags down the reelection prospects of other Republicans, as this year’s special elections thus far suggest—then conditions will be especially ripe for Republican pushback. And, at the extreme, if Trump’s presidency at some point really does look like it’s going down in flames, Republicans might sense the chance to develop a bipartisan reputation for heroism by vigorously opposing him.

So that brings us back to our initial question: Is Congress strong enough to stand up to Trump?

Let’s begin with a congressional tool already discussed above: the power of the purse. Republican elites—both governors and members of Congress—have been overwhelmingly critical of the Trump White House’s budget proposals, and it seems apparent that both the deep cuts to many existing programs and a number of the specific programs that Trump does want to fund (the border wall, for example) are unlikely to survive the congressional budget process.

Relatedly, Congress appears to be in no hurry to enact much of Trump’s desired legislative agenda. After significant turmoil, the House finally passed the American Healthcare Act, but even before its dismal CBO score, a number of Senate Republicans made it clear that the upper chamber would draft its own bill. Senator Burr recently said that he did not think the Senate would pass a health-care bill this year—a remarkable on-the-record admission from a member of the majority party. And, of course, even if the Senate passed a health-care bill, it would be another Herculean struggle to get it through the House again.

Nor is health care the only part of Trump’s legislative agenda that has failed to make it through Congress. Neither an infrastructure bill nor a tax reform plan has yet materialized, and Trump faces the very real possibility of having no major legislative accomplishments in his first year in office.

Another domain in which Congress might push back against a president is that of personnel. Here, Trump’s record with Congress has in some sense been better. Only one of his cabinet nominees, Andrew Puzder, nominated as secretary of labor, has failed in the Senate. And by nominating an establishment conservative—the sort of nominee President Marco Rubio might have chosen—as his Supreme Court pick, Trump ensured that the Senate Republican caucus held together.

But in another sense, appointments have been a trouble spot for this administration. The administration has been almost shockingly slow to staff up at the sub-cabinet level, and the time required to confirm those nominees later will detract still further from Trump’s legislative agenda. Moreover, Trump is certain to face significant trouble getting his choice of a new FBI director confirmed after having fired James Comey—which may partly explain why five candidates have withdrawn from consideration in the last few weeks.

Investigations offer another potent means by which Congress can confront a president, especially this president. There are currently four committees investigating links between Russia and the Trump campaign and administration. Many critics of the administration are frustrated by the pace of these investigations. But while there is little doubt they’d be going faster if Democrats controlled one chamber, the extent to which these investigations have proceeded and have damaged the administration is remarkable, especially for an administration less than 150 days old

As we count on them to do so on our behalf - they act for their constituents (in a perfect, moral world) so being able to share the publics thoughts on bills and etc is important so that they can properly vote and support - or not.

• Fire 1

RESIST.BOT OR CALL YOUR REPS ABOUT TRUMPCARE

CALL: 202-224-3121

TEXT: “RESIST” to 50409

• Explain your concerns, and if possible examples of how this will effect you
  • Demand that the public SHOULD SEE THE BILL (right now they are moving it quickly to CBO and will attempt to push it through similar to what the House did.
  • Demand hearings with expert witnesses & effected witnesses
  • Demand consultation with Dems and ALL members of the senate
  • Demand town halls/forums to discuss public's view and how it impacts us

Rumbles are that they are getting close to having the votes. We do know based on the fact that they're sending it to CBO they've negotiated and come to some agreements with content, and what we've seen is not good.

We've got 3 weeks to impact our respective representatives, and to ask our friends to do the same (especially in NV, AK, AZ, TN, WV, LA, ME, CO, SC & OH). Supposedly their phone lines have been quiet (like pre Trump quiet) and without town halls and etc they are feeling good about pushing this through. RESIST and make your voice heard.

• Fire 2

SUPPORT EQUAL RIGHTS FOR YOU, YOUR LGBTQ FRIENDS & FAMILY (AND ALL AMERICANS):

Call or RESISTBOT: Your 3 MoCs

Script: Hi. I’m from _ZIP_ calling to express my support for equal rights for the LGBTQ community. My (share who you know is gay) is gay/trans/queer, and I want her/him/them to have the same access to housing and employment that I do. Can you tell me if _NAME_ plans to support The Equality Act of 2017? (Senate: S.1006 / House: H.R. 2282)

Note: If you are LGBTQIA+, please edit the script accordingly. All people deserve equal rights.

• Fire 2

INSIST ON AN OPEN HEARING OF THE SENATE HEALTHCARE BILL:

Call: Sen. Orrin Hatch, SFC office 202-224-4515; fax 202-228-0554

Script: I am calling Sen. Hatch in his capacity as the chair of the Senate Finance Committee. The Senate’s current approach to the healthcare issue appears secretive, manipulative, and undemocratic. Democracy thrives with discussion, cooperation, and compromise. As a consumer of healthcare services, I’m asking Sen Hatch to conduct open, public hearings on the Senate healthcare bill.

(let your MoC's know that you've called him)

• Fire 2

ADVOCATE FOR YOUR GOVERNOR TO SUPPORT THE PARIS ACCORD:

If you don’t live in: CA, CT, DE, HI, MA, MN, NC, NY, OR, PR, RI, VT, VA, WA.

Call: Your governor’s office (lookup).

Script: Hi. I’m from _TOWN_ and would like Governor _NAME_ to join the ten states that have created the US Climate Alliance. (Share why a liveable planet matters to you.) Will you please pass along my message? Thank you.

• Fire 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A TWO-FER REGARDING THE BELIEF THAT THERE IS A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH:

Call the WH to advocate for open, frequent press briefings:

Call: The White House Comment line 202-456-1111 (or email).

Script: Hi. I am concerned about the lack of open press briefings at the White House. I think a free press is essential to our democracy. I would like open, televised briefings from the president on a regular basis. Thank you.

​Call your local affiliate news stations and reiterate the need for coverage of the WH press briefings - ask what they are doing:

Call/email: A news outlet you subscribe to or watch (list).

Script: Hi. I’m a subscriber/viewer and am concerned about the lack of open press briefings at the White House. I think a free press is essential to our democracy. Can you tell me what [org] is doing about this issue?

• Fire 1

CONTACT YOUR SENATORS REGARDING STOPPING THE AHCA - BOTH R'S AND D'S:

Hey guys - this week is it. We must not slow in our calls/emails/faxes to our representatives regarding the potential healthcare bill. Please, for you, your family, your friends and for others take 5 mins to contact your reps and share your thoughts on the importance of healthcare coverage. This makes it very easy to plug and play depending on whether you have an R or a D for your congressmen/woman. Resistbot is super easy, just text "RESIST" to "50409" and a fax will be sent to your guy/gal.

Action: Advocate to Democratic senators to use legislative actions to stop AHCA.

Call: Your Democratic senators (lookup or leave message).

Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP], calling about the Senate healthcare bill. I know my senator will vote to oppose it, but the process needs to slow and open hearings on the bill must happen. I would like [name] to “withhold consent” on all Senate business and to “filibuster by amendment.” I know these seem extreme, but tens of thousands of lives are at stake if the AHCA passes. Is Sen. [name] willing to take these measures?

Action: Advocate to Republican senators to support healthcare for all Americans.

Lookup: Note what percent of your state’s residents reject/support the ACHA.

Call: Your Republican senators (lookup or leave message).

Script: Hi. I’m calling from [ZIP] about the healthcare bill. (Share a story about your health and how not having coverage would hurt you--don’t hold back). I would like Sen. [name] to urge Mitch McConnell to slow the process down and conduct open, transparent hearings so the senate can create a bill Americans actually support.

EXPRESS THE NEED FOR QUALITY EDUCATION FOR ALL OF AMERICA'S YOUTH

Action: Oppose Sec. DeVos’ efforts to exclude LGBTQ kids from quality education.

Call: Your three MoCs (lookup or leave a message).

Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP] calling to express my concern about Betsy DeVos’ agenda to exclude LGBTQ kids from receiving a quality education. As Sen/Rep [name] knows, sexual orientation is not a legally protected status in the US. So when DeVos says she’ll uphold the current law, this means she can legally discriminate against gay kids in education. That’s not okay. (Share story if you have a LGBTQ family member or friend.) America can’t afford to abandon our kids. All children deserve quality, robust education.

LET THE SENATE FINANCE OFFICE KNOW YOU WANT A PUBLIC HEARING FOR THE HEALTHCARE BILL

The Senate Finance Office is tallying calls from people who want a public hearing of the healthcare bill. Call (202) 224-4515. Just let them know you'd "like to add my name to the list of concerned citizens looking for a public hearing for the healthcare bill".

I just called, it was busy initially, called again and just gave them my zip. Took 10 seconds.

• Fire 1

(URGENT - do this today, especially if your state is threatening to disclose the information Kobach has requested )

ADVOCATE FOR THE RIGHT TO VOTE AND FOR THE NEED TO KEEP VOTING CITIZEN'S DATA PRIVATE:

Call: Your governor’s office (https://www.usa.gov/state-governor) and Secretary of State.

Script: Hi. I’m a constituent from [ZIP] calling to express my concern about the federal election integrity commission. Vice Chair Kobach’s history of voter suppression makes requesting citizen data deeply concerning. Don’t let him steal our votes. Please join with other states and refuse to comply with this invasive request.

(info on what each state is doing can be found here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/trump-commission-requested-voter-data-heres-every-state-saying/)

• 2 weeks later...

LAST WEEK TO BE HEARD ON HEALTHCARE! Calls to your representatives are important as they head back to DC to finalize the GOP's revised bill. They'll be finalizing this week and voting next week. FYI - it's still crap.

ADVOCATE FOR RETENTION OF ACA AND FOR BIPARTISAN COOPERATION ON IMPROVING IT WITH REVISIONS:

Call of Resistbot: Your two senators--red or blue (lookup or leave message).

Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP] and support healthcare for all Americans. We are tired of the power plays and divisiveness. I am calling to ask [name] to support a bipartisan effort on healthcare and to reach across the aisle for actual bipartisan dialogue on what solutions best serve constituent needs. Thank you.

OPPOSE CUTTING FUNDING (proposed in Senate healthcare bill) FOR KIDS IN SPECIAL EDUCATION:

Call: Your two senators (lookup or leave message).

Script: Hi. I’m concerned about cuts to services for kids in special ed programs that is within the senate healthcare bill. I believe we have a responsibility to fully support all learners. The Senate healthcare bill strips Medicaid funding which currently covers essential tools, staff, and screenings to give these kids a fair chance. I oppose the bill for many reasons, but this one is critical. (If it affects you directly, share why.) Thanks.

OPPOSE THE NEW SENATE BILL & URGE BIPARTISANSHIP TO REVISE THE ACA

Even with the delay in voting on the new Senate Healthcare bill there is risk it will pass in the near future. Take the opportunity to remind your HoC's what you think about the bill. It's important they hear from all of us!

View: Summary of new (as of 7-14) Senate healthcare provisions.

Senators:

Call: Your two senators (lookup or leave message).

Script: Hi. I’m calling to oppose the new Senate healthcare bill. If premiums increase 40%, I will be paying $[amt] per month. My family/I cannot afford this. Without insurance… (share impact and use emotion.) I am asking Sen. [name] to work with Democrats to fix the ACA, not repeal it. Thank you.

House Rep:

Call: Your one House Rep (lookup or leave message).

Script: Hi. I’m calling from [ZIP] to express my support for House Democrats’ new efforts to fix the ACA. Republicans’ efforts to dismantle the ACA and constant changes are making insurance more expensive and the industry less stable. Will [name] work with moderate Democrats to put solutions over politics?