Resistance Action Items

STAND WITH WOMEN AND LGBTQ AMERICANS WHO WANT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS TO PROVIDE THE HEALTHCARE THEY NEED:

Write/Call/ResistBot: Your two senators and one House rep—local office.

Write/Call:

Acting Secretary, Eric Hargan

US Department of Health & Human Services

Hubert H Humphrey Building

200 Independence Ave SW

Washington, DC  20201

877-696-6775

Script: I oppose the plan that permits discrimination against women and LGBTQ Americans. The new office designated by the president threatens lives and violates the rights of Americans. Please use your position to further equality, a uniquely American value, instead of permitting discrimination under the guise of religion. A doctor’s job is to put patients, not ideology first.

OPPOSE TRUMPS UNFIT LIFETIME FEDERAL JUDGESHIP APPOINTMENTS:

Call/email/Resistbot:  Your two senators

Script:  I am writing to oppose the president's nominees for lifetime federal judgeships.  Not only are they mostly-male and mostly white, I oppose pushing through ideologically-biased nominees without proper hearings. I join the 70+ civil rights groups who oppose Eric Dreiband. I also oppose Thomas Farr who Rev. Barber calls "moral poison" and, according to Sen. Cory Booker, “has spent much of his legal career undermining civil rights and voting protections for people of color.”

Trumps nominees have had more "not qualified" ratings than any other president's nominees ... yet they have still been put forward.  Americans deserve better. We deserve judges that will uphold the full freedoms of our Constitution, not a narrow-minded and racist agenda.  We deserve judges who are not tied to the KKK, or partisan interests.

Edited by NM11046

HAVE YOU RESISTBOT'D YET?

It's an easy way to reach out to your governor, senator, congressmen and house members on issues that are important to you.  All it takes is a cell phone and your text messaging service.  It's super easy.  To try it:

Text:  RESIST to 50409

It will then walk you through a process to identify your officials and walk you through the free, easy service.  Basic messaging rates apply.  

If you have feelings about any issues that are front and center right now it's a handy way to get your thoughts in front of the people who represent you.

• 1 month later...

VERIFY YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE IN THE 2018 PRIMARIES AND MIDTERMS:

Take 5 steps to verify your right to vote (this takes 60 seconds).

1. Check that you haven’t been removed from your state’s voter rolls (check here). Extra important if you’re in NV!

2. Ensure that you meet your state’s voter ID requirements (check here). If you need help with getting ID or transport, go here or here.

3. Put your state’s primary dates in your calendar (check here).

4. Make sure your polling place hasn’t been moved (check here).

Important: Share these steps on social media so your friends can vote too.

• Plus1 1

STAND WITH NON-VIOLENT OFFENDERS & OPPOSE EXPENSIVE, INEFFECTIVE SENTENCING:  

Call/Resistbot/Email: Your two senators (look up).

Script: Hi. I’m calling in support of the Sentencing Reform and Corrections Act of 2018 (S. 1917) which is just out of committee. This bipartisan effort addresses the problem of expensive, ineffective mandatory sentences for non-violent drug offenders.  It also empowers judges in sentencing and funds programs that aid re-entry and reduce re-offending. Will [name] co-sponsor and vote for S. 1917?

• Plus1 1

STAND WITH THE DREAMERS:

CALL/RESISTBOT/EMAIL: Your 3 members of Congress

SCRIPT:  I value showing respect for all people, no matter where they were born.  People who immigrate tot he US make our country stronger & build our economy.  As our neighbors and fellow human beings, they are entitled to basic respect and compassion.

I want legislation that gives Dreamers permanent status without building a wall or breaking up families.

STAND WITH DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SURVIVORS

CALL/RESISTBOT/EMAIL: Your 2 senators

SCRIPT:  Hi, I'm from (zip code), calling to ask (senator name) to support passage of a clean Fix NICS bill (HR 4477) to protect domestic violence survivors and strengthen the nation's background check system.  However, I object to combining it with a second bill that allows concealed carry across state lines (HR 38).  Protecting people from gun violence as well as protecting people from domestic violence should both be a priority.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

STAND FOR FREEDOM OF THE PRESS

TAKE NOTE:  Is your local TV Station owned by SInclair?  (map:  https://www.vox.com/2018/4/6/17202824/sinclair-tribune-map  and list:  http://www.businessinsider.com/sinclair-broadcast-group-stations-by-state-list-2018-4 )

WRITE:  Your local station manager (you can usually find name and address online)

SCRIPT:  A single media copany controlling 72% of local TV stations is a threat to our constitutional right to a free press.  As a regular viewer of (channel and call sign), I'm asking you to stay committed to quality, fact based journalism for our local community and reject corporate political agendas.  Thank you, (name & town)

ACTION: subscribe to your local paper and/or give paid subscriptions to friends & family.  The biggest threat to Sinclair's monopoly are consumers who read and support print media.

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

STAND FOR FREEDOM OF THE PRESS

TAKE NOTE:  Is your local TV Station owned by SInclair?  (map:  https://www.vox.com/2018/4/6/17202824/sinclair-tribune-map  and list:  http://www.businessinsider.com/sinclair-broadcast-group-stations-by-state-list-2018-4 )

WRITE:  Your local station manager (you can usually find name and address online)

SCRIPT:  A single media copany controlling 72% of local TV stations is a threat to our constitutional right to a free press.  As a regular viewer of (channel and call sign), I'm asking you to stay committed to quality, fact based journalism for our local community and reject corporate political agendas.  Thank you, (name & town)

ACTION: subscribe to your local paper and/or give paid subscriptions to friends & family.  The biggest threat to Sinclair's monopoly are consumers who read and support print media.

I'm not a fan of Sinclair and their intent, but I can appreciate the irony of a "scripted" message used to bring down a "scripted" message.  

Thank you for the links to local news stations, that is helpful.  My concern isn't the "message" necessarily, but the ability to create the "norms" for the conversation.