ESPN: Ranking B1G Offensive Lines

Mavric

Runners-up: Wisconsin and Nebraska

The tradition of success in the trenches isn’t going away any time soon for the Badgers, who could easily find themselves on top of the rankings by the end of the season depending on how seamless the process of replacing star left tackle Ryan Ramczyk winds up being this offseason. Wisconsin has some similarities with Ohio State as it returns four starters from a unit that was better in pass protection by allowing just 24 sacks while finishing a distant third behind the Buckeyes in rushing offense. And the Badgers, too, should be expected to be even stronger on the line with so many experienced veterans back in the fold.

Along those same lines, Mike Riley’s Huskers took a significant step forward last season and could duplicate that again with a skilled group returning this fall. The loss of Dylan Utter is significant, but the rest of the line is stocked with players who have already shown they can handle the blocking responsibilities for a team that allowed the fewest sacks in the Big Ten last year.

ESPN

I dont understand why people around here dont appreciate Coach Cav more. The guy took a mess of Oline that were comprised of spread run (zone blocking) type players that had very little experience pass blocking in a pro offense scheme (different blocking styles, techniques, etc), with little to no depth.... he then redshirted a few of our best players and still managed to produce the least amount of sacks in the B1G, that says a lot considering the play style of YOLO Tommy. Not only that, but he had several walkons starting and still had good rushing yards most games. He has been good at recruiting and is overall a good dude. I think he is greatly under-appreciated.

I dont understand why people around here dont appreciate Coach Cav more. The guy took a mess of Oline that were comprised of spread run (zone blocking) type players that had very little experience pass blocking in a pro offense scheme (different blocking styles, techniques, etc), with little to no depth.... he then redshirted a few of our best players and still managed to produce the least amount of sacks in the B1G, that says a lot considering the play style of YOLO Tommy. Not only that, but he had several walkons starting and still had good rushing yards most games. He has been good at recruiting and is overall a good dude. I think he is greatly under-appreciated.

The bolded part is giving the OL way too much credit and not giving Tommy nearly enough credit. If the OL doesn't improved by a lot this year over last year, we're going to find out just how important Tommy's legs were.

• Fire 4

We'll have 17 scholarship offensive lineman, 20% of the 85 man roster. Cav needs to get it done this year.

I have a hard time being critical of Coach Cav. Dude came with kids that he didn't recruit, that didn't necessarily fit our scheme and they played admirably last year considering then number of walk-ons and the injuries that plagued the line last year.

If the line can stay healthy there is no doubt in my mind that we will see significantly better play up front in the future

• Fire 2

Why would you redshirt your best players?

• Fire 1

Coach Cav is that you?

• Fire 1

The bolded part is giving the OL way too much credit and not giving Tommy nearly enough credit. If the OL doesn't improved by a lot this year over last year, we're going to find out just how important Tommy's legs were.

While I agree the oline underperformed, but I'm going to play devils advocate.

If Lee truly is the real deal, the defenses we play are going to have to play on their heels a bit more. While YOLO bombs were a TA thing, they also coincided with Langsdorf's offense of taking what the defense gives you. If a team puts 8 in the box, man coverage while playing to cut off shallow routes and says 'Dare you to throw it deep,' you're going to get killed by a good QB. You have to adjust and respect the passing game more which in turn helps the running game.

• Fire 1

Why would you redshirt your best players?

Because taking quality young players that are not ready to play in the trenches during the big10 season and inserting them too early is a good way to create injuries that tend to hang around for years. Then 3 years from now fans can complain that our o-line coach got all our young talent injured because he doesn't know how to coach.

Cav is doing things the right way and results will come.

• Fire 2

because he hasn't shown a thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bolded part is giving the OL way too much credit and not giving Tommy nearly enough credit. If the OL doesn't improved by a lot this year over last year, we're going to find out just how important Tommy's legs were

Tommy was running for his life most of the year. Defenders were in his face almost immediately , and I thought some of his bad throws were due to that . His legs turned sacks into positive yards countless times.

• Fire 3

The bolded part is giving the OL way too much credit and not giving Tommy nearly enough credit. If the OL doesn't improved by a lot this year over last year, we're going to find out just how important Tommy's legs were

Tommy was running for his life most of the year. Defenders were in his face almost immediately , and I thought some of his bad throws were due to that . His legs turned sacks into positive yards countless times.

I agree to a large degree. Fyfe played heavily in three games, OSU, Maryland, TN.

Sack totals from those games:

OSU: 0

Maryland: 3

TN: 4

I don't have the time to go back and look at film/injury reports, etc. But things on the line and with our WRs got dicey late in the season. You can't exactly attribute everything to one variable (TA) when other things (The OL & Talent) changed.

Moving to a different point that was brought up. I think Cav redshirting guys that could've played was a good idea. So much of what I remember from HCBP was that we were constantly scrambling. We were getting guys to play out of need and the system never really had time to reset. I want to see almost every OL (and ideally DL) redshirt to put on muscle. That's one position where development time seems really important. I would much rather have a 5th year senior going pro than a guy that's going pro after 4 years. Why? Because it means we're getting more of those prime years. The strategy backfired late in the season when we could've used some fresh bodies etc, but I think for the long term good of the program it was the right move. I'm also willing to argue that HCMR's tenure is all about the good of the program. It's not about a quick turn around and him keeping his job. He's here to make things right long term. The hope is going to be this is going to pay dividends after some not great roster management for many years. I hope we get a glimpse of what it looks like this year because I still think 2018 is going to be rough. I'm optimistic that we're going to be pleasantly surprised though.