CBSSports: 247 Roster talent rankings for 2017

Saunders

College football is not a sport of Cinderella stories.

While teams at the bottom of Power Five conferences one year, and the occasional Group of Five program, may get their day in the sun with an opportunity to jump into a New Year's Six bowl game, the modern era of college football crowns national champions that have rosters littered with former four-star and five-star prospects.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/roster-talent-rankings-college-football-teams-with-the-best-players-entering-2017/

Huskers check in just outside the top 25 at #26.

• Fire 2

And that's about where we've been finishing seasons at. Imagine that.

And Wisconsin has been recruiting in the 30-50 range and that's where they're ranked on this list...but not where they are ranked period. Imagine that.

In other words, take these 'rankings' with a grain of salt.

How many playoff appearances or national championships do they have?

• Fire 2

And Wisconsin has been recruiting in the 30-50 range and that's where they're ranked on this list...but not where they are ranked period. Imagine that.

They have more conference title appearances than we do since we've joined so I'd start there
  • Fire 2

i think at this point we just want to win our division. At some point a conference championship should happen but talking about playoffs- there is so much more that goes into it. And to actually come out of the playoff as champs? I think we need to just let that dream die and if it ever occurs it will be amazing but it's not something we should try to base our program around
  • Fire 2

i think at this point we just want to win our division. At some point a conference championship should happen but talking about playoffs- there is so much more that goes into it. And to actually come out of the playoff as champs? I think we need to just let that dream die and if it ever occurs it will be amazing but it's not something we should try to base our program around

That is sad. If you aren't trying to win a NC, then you will have a hard time winning the conference.

Average rating for years 2, 3, 4 is 30 for NU. Better metric imo. Nearly the same though. '13 class will contribute jack to the team this year. 17 class will contribute forced into action players. Let's hope some turn into veterans quickly.

3-2 record, perhaps even 2-3, vs Oregon, Wisky, NW, Iowa and bowl....should get NU rated at seasons end. Won't be easy but very possible.

That is sad. If you aren't trying to win a NC, then you will have a hard time winning the conference.

That is sad, I'm pretty sure nearly every fan and 100% of the people in North Stadium are trying to win the National Championship. A realistic goal may not be this year, but they are building to it at the very least.

This is Nebraska, not Iowa.

• Fire 2

This is just a raw talent ranking based on recruiting. It doesn't taking into account development, coaching, attrition, etc...

Methinks you have that backwards.

• Fire 2

Methinks you have that backwards.

Not really because Ohio State, Michigan, and PSU are gunning for a NC not just a Big10 east championship. I would say that anyone trying to compete with those teams are also trying to compete for a NC.

• Fire 1