"You voted for Trump because..."

Did not vote for any of the final three in the presidential election, but IMO, the reason DT is in office, is because the press said he wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't be in office. They sensationalized that HC was a lock to win and those who voted for DT, took it as a stick it up your wazzu moment. Good/bad/indifferent, its where we are today!

I will continue to do, as I would be doing if HC had won, and that is, make the best of it that I can. Happiness is a way of life, not a destination.

• Fire 1

Did not vote for any of the final three in the presidential election, but IMO, the reason DT is in office, is because the press said he wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't be in office. They sensationalized that HC was a lock to win and those who voted for DT, took it as a stick it up your wazzu moment. Good/bad/indifferent, its where we are today!

I will continue to do, as I would be doing if HC had won, and that is, make the best of it that I can. Happiness is a way of life, not a destination.

I like that statement in bold --- so very true.

I like that statement in bold --- so very true.

Wish I could claim it but, its been around for a long while! :)

At some point people who are not materially affected by Trump/GOP policies have to realize that it's not just smile and go on for people whose lives are depending on the ACA, or on the U.S. affirming their basic humanity as immigrants, Muslims, refugees, LGBTQ, etc, etc.

If you can happily ignore the plight those people now have to face through sheer determination, more power to you -- but don't be surprised by the lack of plaudits for this stance.

• Fire 4

Hopefully these two tweet storms come through properly. Really interesting stuff.

Edit: Doesn't look like it's going to work since both are like 20 tweets long. They're both worth the clicks to get through it.

Thank you for these. Fascinating take on our respective plight as a people.

Here's what I'll add:

I still think there is a lack of understanding about your average Trump supporter. Most of us think they got conned. But they've still all got their various reasons for supporting Trump. For these folks to feel like they actually have a voice that represents them, and for the rest of us to understand how they found themselves supporting Trump, it would be helpful if they'd talk to us.

I do wish we had more reasonable pro-Trump voices here. If we're wrong about this man, tell us why. Build a case as to why we should be more positive about him. But don't be afraid to have your own views challenged as well. Changing your mind isn't a bad thing.

• Fire 3

QFT

At some point people who are not materially affected by Trump/GOP policies have to realize that it's not just smile and go on for people whose lives are depending on the ACA, or on the U.S. affirming their basic humanity as immigrants, Muslims, refugees, LGBTQ, etc, etc.

If you can happily ignore the plight those people now have to face through sheer determination, more power to you -- but don't be surprised by the lack of plaudits for this stance.

I don't want to belabor the point but Zoogs is spot-on here. I have never been one to be happy at the expense of another nor turn a blind-eye to injustices suffered by my neighbors. Not everyone is like that. However, please understand that the price of freedom is not born solely by our men and women in uniform. There is a cost we all have to carry for our freedom and happiness and it is fast becoming an unpleasant burden for many in this country...

• Fire 1

Thank you for these. Fascinating take on our respective plight as a people.

Here's what I'll add:

I still think there is a lack of understanding about your average Trump supporter. Most of us think they got conned. But they've still all got their various reasons for supporting Trump. For these folks to feel like they actually have a voice that represents them, and for the rest of us to understand how they found themselves supporting Trump, it would be helpful if they'd talk to us.

I do wish we had more reasonable pro-Trump voices here. If we're wrong about this man, tell us why. Build a case as to why we should be more positive about him. But don't be afraid to have your own views challenged as well. Changing your mind isn't a bad thing.

Agreed dude. As this election proved - until we recognize that we don't understand the "why" behind why people support Trump we will never come together and there will never be positive change. It's difficult on these challenging days for me to not be bitter and lump them all together but I'd like to also have more voices here to better understand.

At some point people who are not materially affected by Trump/GOP policies have to realize that it's not just smile and go on for people whose lives are depending on the ACA, or on the U.S. affirming their basic humanity as immigrants, Muslims, refugees, LGBTQ, etc, etc.If you can happily ignore the plight those people now have to face through sheer determination, more power to you -- but don't be surprised by the lack of plaudits for this stance.

Simply amazing that you reference this after one of my post, as if you know my and my families sacrifices for the very rights you enjoy and so boldly are speaking about. While many can protest with disgust and say they represent the afflicted, (unless you or your loved ones has/have or are serving) you really have no clue as to the reality of sacrifice. I am not saying you or anyone should put aside your views or desires to make things better by the pen or what ever peaceful means you so choose, but don't categorize everyone as heartless or without care, just because they do not live in the world of social media and consider it 'reality'

Zoogs, you and a handful of other posters are very bright young people (citizens) and the world is ever changing, just recognize there is some who speak with their heart who are not looking for the 'plaudits' you speak of, but are sharing a perspective from services rendered to allow those of you who choose, the ability to speak out or against that which offends you.

Can you say, by virtue of what your posting with your keypad, that you are protecting or sacrificing more, than those who have paid with, and continue to pay with, blood, life and limb? I think not, so please spare me the guilt trip that I have to fit in a specific club, to meet the standards set forth here at HB or any other club.