WR Tommy Bush [Georgia- Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

58 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Bush commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 05:25 PM

Don't sprints not even try to measure "twitch"?

I'd be curious to see "verified" scores match up to eventual NFL combine results. This system exists to pump up the players. But yeah a 6'5, 187-lb guy who runs 4.47 is the kind of player the Houston Texans wouldn't say no to, much less the Longhorns. But let's say these are faithful measurements and he's an elite athlete with both height and quick twitch ability. Wouldn't it be a red flag if top schools in his backyard weren't beating down his door? You'd have to ask why not, right? And, can he overcome whatever those issues are?

It's almost an easier sell to think you've found a guy who's a diamond in the rough (e.g POB) that other schools just haven't picked up on yet. When someone is on everyone's radar, their pursuit or lack thereof can be telling.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Interesting numbers.  4.47 is legit speed, especially for someone that tall.  21.5 is also pretty fast for HS.

By comparison, 11.0 is fairly pedestrian.

I agree.  His 100 time was from the beginning of the year and it appears it was the only time he ran it.  He focused on the 200, 4x100, and 4x200, finished 7th in the 6A state 200m dash. 

Here is where he ranks nationally on the Spark Leaderboard and compared to Cameron Brown.  Surprising that Tommy has a better shuttle than Brown.  I know these measurements aren't an exact science of predicting success, but they do show a good snapshot of athleticism.  Brown has a freakish 40.9 Vert

Brown, Cameron 62 Chicago 18 WR Christian Brothers (MO) - MO 6-0 171 4.51 4.28 38.0 40.9 115.02
Bush, Tommy 82 Houston 18 WR Samuel Clemens - TX 6-4.5 187 4.47 4.15 36.0 36.4 113.07

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Oh yeah? Look I am not a coach but I worked for the football staff at Cerritos College for a few years. I brought kids on their visits and worked their camps. I witnessed NFL and D1 players on a yearly basis and have seen tons of tape. I have some experience beyond just HUDL grazing. I also know the recruiting game like the back of my hand. I can find out information about CA recruits because I have the connections. I am very adamant on this board about those things. I am not trying to toot my horn but there are somethings that I know that I couldnt expect the casual fan to know and it is kept that way. Don't grill because of this, I just had to say it. 

TOOT. TOOT. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Huskinator said:

All those professional football players from Cerritos college....  

Geez... do you understand the JUCO game? Not everyone stays past a semester or year. Some kids leave for another. Some kids out play future pros but don't make it, some kids make it, every kid from poly, Serra, servite, mater dei, etc has camped or played on our field. We have hosted elite juco players who worked out for us but ended up going to mt sac or Fullerton or blinn, etc...

• Plus1 2

There is a reason coaches try to see kids live or in camps.  Tape can be hard to gauge.  I've watched plenty of tape both as a player and a coach and  unless you are highly familiar with everyone they are playing against it can be hard to tell just how fast or athletic they are.  I've brought it up before in other posts that it's especially hard with taller rec.  They don't "look"  fast but they cover ground in a hurry.  I haven't even watched film on this kid but I can assure you there are taller rec out there that aren't even 3 stars.  Don't we have a few walk ons in the program that are pretty tall that didn't get multiple power 5 offers?

5 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Oh yeah? Look I am not a coach but I worked for the football staff at Cerritos College for a few years. I brought kids on their visits and worked their camps. I witnessed NFL and D1 players on a yearly basis and have seen tons of tape. I have some experience beyond just HUDL grazing. I also know the recruiting game like the back of my hand. I can find out information about CA recruits because I have the connections. I am very adamant on this board about those things. I am not trying to toot my horn but there are somethings that I know that I couldnt expect the casual fan to know and it is kept that way. Don't grill because of this, I just had to say it. 

I'm glad you're not basing his speed on HUDL grazing because I'd be confused as to why you think he isn't fast. Pulls away from quite a few people on there. I'll agree that this is an exceptionally small sample size though.

Vince seems to have a valid opinion based on his experiences with JUCO football.  The fact is, breaking down film on a player is the same whether it is done at Cerritos or Alabama.

Vince, assuming someone else can't possibly understand game film because they haven't coached at even the JUCO level is ignorant and shouldn't really be part of the discussion.

• Plus1 4