No More Mr. Nice Guy For Nebraska's Mike Riley (ESPN)

seaofred92

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/141426/nebraskas-fortunes-could-ride-on-mike-rileys-ability-to-embrace-change

Riley’s unassuming front sits at the heart of his persona as a nice guy. But it’s an image from which the 63-year-old coach has made strides this offseason to break free, possibly representing Nebraska’s best chance to snap a conference-title drought that spans 17 seasons. After his four decades in coaching, the time is here to look beyond Riley’s exterior. Behind it, lurking, is a calculating and competitive nature. Two years into the closing chapter of his career, Riley has served notice that he’s prepared to step out of character, if required, to clear an imposing set of hurdles. Can an edgier Riley, open to change, create a contender out of Nebraska? Maybe. Maybe not. But he appears determined to find out.
  • Fire 4

Regardless of whether he can or can not, Riley should be credited at the end of his tenure for turning the program out of the rut and onto the right path. He has a much improved environment surrounding the team and is laying important ground work on the recruiting front.

If no new hardware glistens on our shelves when he hangs his whistle up, I firmly believe one will come soon after. If he is not the driver he can still be the catalyst.

• Fire 7

Regardless of whether he can or can not, Riley should be credited at the end of his tenure for turning the program out of the rut and onto the right path. He has a much improved environment surrounding the team and is laying important ground work on the recruiting front.

If no new hardware glistens on our shelves when he hangs his whistle up, I firmly believe one will come soon after. If he is not the driver he can still be the catalyst.

I feel like the momentum is heading in this direction, but the next two years will ultimately decide if the program is on the upswing or stuck in 9 win perpetuity.

I feel like the momentum is heading in this direction, but the next two years will ultimately decide if the program is on the upswing or stuck in 9 win perpetuity.

With the schedule increasing in difficulty it could easily be a case of us still winning only 9 games, yet drastic improvements of on field play showcase themselves.

Hopefully the rebuild pays off in a big way and we see it in the win column against the best the conference has to offer.

Especially with that 2018 schedule.

Best start stocking up on your favorite booze now, just in case.

Cools stuff thanks seofred.

I suggest folks look at final ratings and not record when analyzing coaching performance. No doubt the team tries to win em all but SOS and volatile events such as turnovers, close game results, and star player availability in the tough games all play big roles and are mostly random.

Mike + staff actually seems to me to be constantly improving. From November 15 to today....there have been numerous changes and I can't say I've had a negative take on any of them.

Want to do better? Change.

2018. Yeah. I predict NU loses some games that year ;)

The one aspect of what Mike Riley is doing that is incredibly refreshing is he sees that something isn't working, and he makes changes to address it. That is something Frank Solich, Bill Callahan, and Bo Pelini never did. All three of those former coaches just kept on doing the same things, even though it was clear they weren't working.

Take Bo Pelini, the first time Wisconsin rolls ups 400 yards rushing by the start of the 4th quarter, okay fine...it can happen to any team once. But when teams like Minnesota started copying offensively what Wisconsin did, and started beating Nebraska, did Bo step back, look at his defense, and realize that he had schematic issues? Nope. Just more of, "The players didn't execute."

Bill Callahan, knew his BFF, DC was completely incompetent. Did he fire him and bring in someone new? Nope. BFFs till the end. Schematically, Callahan also needed to fix his running game, and never did. It was same old same old, "Perfect in all areas."

Frank Solich, his offense devolved into literally 6 total plays. That's hyperbole, albeit not by much.

Mike Riley, on the other hand, saw the exact same problems with the defense and kicking game that us fans and members of the sports media saw...the difference is, he at least has made changes. He's proven he's willing to make changes. And, while nobody knows if these changes will work, one thing we all do know, what was being done previously was not working. And for that, Riley has 100% support from me, and I think 99% of Husker fans. At least I hope it's 99%.

• Fire 2

The one aspect of what Mike Riley is doing that is incredibly refreshing is he sees that something isn't working, and he makes changes to address it. That is something Frank Solich, Bill Callahan, and Bo Pelini never did. All three of those former coaches just kept on doing the same things, even though it was clear they weren't working.

Take Bo Pelini, the first time Wisconsin rolls ups 400 yards rushing by the start of the 4th quarter, okay fine...it can happen to any team once. But when teams like Minnesota started copying offensively what Wisconsin did, and started beating Nebraska, did Bo step back, look at his defense, and realize that he had schematic issues? Nope. Just more of, "The players didn't execute."

Bill Callahan, knew his BFF, DC was completely incompetent. Did he fire him and bring in someone new? Nope. BFFs till the end. Schematically, Callahan also needed to fix his running game, and never did. It was same old same old, "Perfect in all areas."

Frank Solich, his offense devolved into literally 6 total plays. That's hyperbole, albeit not by much.

Mike Riley, on the other hand, saw the exact same problems with the defense and kicking game that us fans and members of the sports media saw...the difference is, he at least has made changes. He's proven he's willing to make changes. And, while nobody knows if these changes will work, one thing we all do know, what was being done previously was not working. And for that, Riley has 100% support from me, and I think 99% of Husker fans. At least I hope it's 99%.

Not a thing here I disagree with. Solich had TO's momentum for 4 years before he realized he needed to recruit a QB and move some coaches out but by then it was too late. Callahan was here getting a check till an NFL team called. Bullhead Bo thought he was the answer for every football problem except he wasn't. I was hoping all this year Riley was different because about mid season on I kept hearing him mention in post game interviews that special teams was a problem and sure enough he cut his guy loose. A coach willing to make changes where no ones job is sacred is a coach I want here.