Mods - Can we gets some clarification, please?

There seems to be a theme of people being offended by politically slanted comments outside the P&R forum, most recently in status updates. Ironically, the people most offended by this are also the members whose posts/status updates constantly set-off content alerts if I view the site from my office or via business phone/tablet. I could exempt myself from the content alerts but it is important I abide by the same rules to which I expect my employees to adhere. Specifically the use of slang in relation to the male anatomy...

While the "I'm offended" shtick is tiresome, I would like to do my part to prevent offending those with more delicate sensibilities than myself. I am not offended in the slightest by either of these referenced conditions/situations but I am happy to ensure other posters are able avoid being offended inasmuch as the rules allow. I would like to understand expectations in regards to these items as the bombast seems to be getting pretty deep and the rules are necessarily vague. Most probably to allow this to be handled case-by-case...

I appreciate your guidance in advance. Below is the status update thread for reference.

Status update thread:

In the Deed the Glory

I am tired of the political b.s. on this board. I come here for a break from it and it continues to spread out from its home.

Hide Comments

10 Feb
onlyHskrfaninIL

+10

10 Feb
teachercd

Same posters...same posts

10 Feb
onlyHskrfaninIL

as you would expect...you are never going to change anyone's mind on political views no matter what side you are on

10 Feb
B.B. Hemingway

Why are people so sensitive about this. Just don't pay it any attention.

10 Feb
El Diaco

I make a motion that P&R talk needs to stay in that forum and not in status updates. At least then people can avoid it if they want to.

10 Feb
B.B. Hemingway

^ Snowflake :)

10 Feb
TonyStalloni

I started on Facebook about 5 years ago to see pics and vids of my grandkids. It is hardly worth going there now. This place is getting nearly as bad.

10 Feb
TAKODA

I'm game for no politics outside of the P & R threads.I try to lighten the intensity with a little levity but does not appear to have the desired affect. Are the mods around? Have not seen any postings from them for quite a while, and this is something only they can control.

10 Feb
TAKODA

Well, we still have NUance posting I see.

11 Feb
BigRedN

+1

11 Feb
teachercd

I like how posters want you to think their way and their way only...then criticize those that don't because they are not "open"

11 Feb
ZRod

I vote we all vote and actually care about how our country is run. Politics shouldn't be a back seat subject no matter how painful.

11 Feb
obert1

wish I could not have those threads pop up in new/unread content.

11 Feb
TAKODA

I thought we were just talking about keepin g it in the P & R threads. Politics and religion discussions, just need to stay in designated areas. Pro or Con, its part of our life.

11 Feb
ZRod

Fine. Then football and basketball need to stay in their designated areas.

11 Feb
teachercd

I think they can be in any thread, lets face it...if you get that worked up about politics posts being in a football thread than you have bigger issues in life. If you get worked up about a joke/comment about a politicians than you have bigger issues.

11 Feb Delete
ColoNoCoHusker

Pot meet kettle... You guys can cross the line with your references to the male organ and what not but the slightest political comment in status updates puts you in a tizzy. Go ahead an grill me for it...

11 Feb
Lil' Red

A few political status updates upset some of you guys that much?

11 Feb
TonyStalloni

Putting angry named filled political post in the Status Updates is like the jerk who takes his dog for a walk in the park and never picks up the waste. We all come here to enjoy the news or some funny story but some drop a nasty political opinion and walk away laughing. I don't have a problem with anything said in the P & R forum. Thats your own back yard and you can let your dog do anything it wants. I would like here to be a space where anyone can walk without stepping in it.

11 Feb Delete
ColoNoCoHusker

Vulgar name filled comments in status updates are only offensive if there is a political spin or context? That explains it...

11 Feb
teachercd

Not for me...I think it should be an open forum of name calling and making fun. It is hilarious!

11 Feb
In the Deed the Glory

Wow, that little comment blew up. I'm not trying to censor anybody. I don't want to limit where people can type what. I was just giving an opinion. I didn't want people to feel like they had to defend themselves to the mods.
Man, this place sometimes.

11 Feb
El Diaco

Boner Boner Boner Boner.

11 Feb Delete
ColoNoCoHusker

ITDTG - Wasn't trying to blow it up. There wasn't consensus in the status thread. You've been good on this but others in this update have become a huge broken record. Was just trying help since no one followed up on the 'need a mod ruling' statement...

• Fire 1

Mod here--but my opinion should by no means be interpreted as rule of law. I'm of the opinion that status updates should adhere by the board rules, which make no mention of blocking status updates containing harmless political comments. I don't think that should change.

Also, if we start making adjustments to account for everyone's sensibilities, we wouldn't have a board.

• Fire 3

I would like some clarification from the OP. Your first paragraph is basically a diatribe on how the word "boner" offends you, while you state others are being offended by all politics garbage. But then you state in the 2nd paragraph "While the "I'm offended" shtick is tiresome, I would like to do my part to prevent offending those with more delicate sensibilities than myself. I am not offended in the slightest by either of these referenced conditions/situations..."

You've made it quite clear that political discussion outside of P&R, particularly in status updates, does not offend you. We know this because you seem to do it more than anyone. But I'm a little fuzzy where you really stand on the use of the word "boner". It seems to offend you only when it's use can be propped up as some kind of false equivalency to the political discussion issue.

These two issues are not related to each other. The only way you can relate them is by claiming they both offend you. But you have claimed neither bothers you in the slightest (even though you started this thread). I'm confused...

I would like some clarification from the OP. Your first paragraph is basically a diatribe on how the word "boner" offends you, while you state others are being offended by all politics garbage. But then you state in the 2nd paragraph "While the "I'm offended" shtick is tiresome, I would like to do my part to prevent offending those with more delicate sensibilities than myself. I am not offended in the slightest by either of these referenced conditions/situations..."

You've made it quite clear that political discussion outside of P&R, particularly in status updates, does not offend you. We know this because you seem to do it more than anyone. But I'm a little fuzzy where you really stand on the use of the word "boner". It seems to offend you only when it's use can be propped up as some kind of false equivalency to the political discussion issue.

These two issues are not related to each other. The only way you can relate them is by claiming they both offend you. But you have claimed neither bothers you in the slightest (even though you started this thread). I'm confused...

JJ, I think he is less offended and more concerned that some content in the public forum is NSFW. In fact, this was discussed in the Shed, and all of the other members of the "Crew" have changed their sigs to "BC" now that the "cat is out of the bag", so to speak, and in the public forum.

• Fire 1

I am not offended by that word. It does set off my content filter if I view the site at work which is inconvenient. I'm not really sure why a political statement in a status update would be more offensive to someone than words that trigger content filters. I included that for a baseline reference to the hypocrisy you seem to have on when something is offensive. You misplaced/misinterpreted the reason for the comparison so please disregard it.

My intention was to follow up with the Mods to get a standard that all of us can understand and adhere to. I thought, incorrectly, if we had a Mod position, it would lesson you and your crew's frustrations. I apologize this went another way.

I hope that clears up my position

EDIT: And I reached out to a Mod since it was requested previously in the status chain but nothing was done... In hindsight, I should have left it alone

• Fire 1

I stated from the git go that I was completely open to altering my signature if that was the consensus. Therfore I will change it shortly.

But let's not act like this is a NSFW Boner use issue. The problem is one or two posters having been unceasingly douching up status updates and the whole board in general because of their intense hatred for the president. This Boner crew thing only became an issue for them because they don't want to reign in their posting behavior and a couple people from the bc happen to be involved in that discussion. It's a convenient complaint for them to make.

It's okay, I'm done with NoCo anyway. With the exception of the new versus thread in the shed, he's now on my ignore list.

• Fire 1

If you are offended at all by ANYTHING in those threads you should stop posting and take a breath.

If you get mad at posters poking fun at politicians...you should take a breath.

Why is this difficult?

Trump is a nazi!!

Trump hates non-whites

Trump is a huge bigot

Trump is not a man

Why would that or anything similar upset people?

There seems to be a theme of people being offended by politically slanted comments outside the P&R forum, most recently in status updates. Ironically, the people most offended by this are also the members whose posts/status updates constantly set-off content alerts if I view the site from my office or via business phone/tablet. I could exempt myself from the content alerts but it is important I abide by the same rules to which I expect my employees to adhere. Specifically the use of slang in relation to the male anatomy...

While the "I'm offended" shtick is tiresome, I would like to do my part to prevent offending those with more delicate sensibilities than myself. I am not offended in the slightest by either of these referenced conditions/situations but I am happy to ensure other posters are able avoid being offended inasmuch as the rules allow. I would like to understand expectations in regards to these items as the bombast seems to be getting pretty deep and the rules are necessarily vague. Most probably to allow this to be handled case-by-case...

I appreciate your guidance in advance. Below is the status update thread for reference.

Status update thread:

In the Deed the Glory

I am tired of the political b.s. on this board. I come here for a break from it and it continues to spread out from its home.

Hide Comments

10 Feb
onlyHskrfaninIL

+10

10 Feb
teachercd

10 Feb
onlyHskrfaninIL

as you would expect...you are never going to change anyone's mind on political views no matter what side you are on

10 Feb
B.B. Hemingway

10 Feb
El Diaco

I make a motion that P&R talk needs to stay in that forum and not in status updates. At least then people can avoid it if they want to.

10 Feb
B.B. Hemingway

10 Feb
TonyStalloni

I started on Facebook about 5 years ago to see pics and vids of my grandkids. It is hardly worth going there now. This place is getting nearly as bad.

10 Feb
TAKODA

I'm game for no politics outside of the P & R threads.I try to lighten the intensity with a little levity but does not appear to have the desired affect. Are the mods around? Have not seen any postings from them for quite a while, and this is something only they can control.

10 Feb
TAKODA

11 Feb
BigRedN

+1

11 Feb
teachercd

I like how posters want you to think their way and their way only...then criticize those that don't because they are not "open"

11 Feb
ZRod

I vote we all vote and actually care about how our country is run. Politics shouldn't be a back seat subject no matter how painful.

11 Feb
obert1

11 Feb
TAKODA

I thought we were just talking about keepin g it in the P & R threads. Politics and religion discussions, just need to stay in designated areas. Pro or Con, its part of our life.

11 Feb
ZRod

11 Feb
teachercd

I think they can be in any thread, lets face it...if you get that worked up about politics posts being in a football thread than you have bigger issues in life. If you get worked up about a joke/comment about a politicians than you have bigger issues.

11 Feb Delete
ColoNoCoHusker

Pot meet kettle... You guys can cross the line with your references to the male organ and what not but the slightest political comment in status updates puts you in a tizzy. Go ahead an grill me for it...

11 Feb
Lil' Red

11 Feb
TonyStalloni

Putting angry named filled political post in the Status Updates is like the jerk who takes his dog for a walk in the park and never picks up the waste. We all come here to enjoy the news or some funny story but some drop a nasty political opinion and walk away laughing. I don't have a problem with anything said in the P & R forum. Thats your own back yard and you can let your dog do anything it wants. I would like here to be a space where anyone can walk without stepping in it.

11 Feb Delete
ColoNoCoHusker

Vulgar name filled comments in status updates are only offensive if there is a political spin or context? That explains it...

11 Feb
teachercd

Not for me...I think it should be an open forum of name calling and making fun. It is hilarious!

11 Feb
In the Deed the Glory

Wow, that little comment blew up. I'm not trying to censor anybody. I don't want to limit where people can type what. I was just giving an opinion. I didn't want people to feel like they had to defend themselves to the mods.

11 Feb
El Diaco

Boner Boner Boner Boner.

11 Feb Delete
ColoNoCoHusker

ITDTG - Wasn't trying to blow it up. There wasn't consensus in the status thread. You've been good on this but others in this update have become a huge broken record. Was just trying help since no one followed up on the 'need a mod ruling' statement...

I hadn't realized that that many people are annoyed by political crap in the status updates. But I don't think we need another rule restricting content. Since it bothers than many folks, maybe it would be best if we (everyone) just refrain from putting political stuff in the status updates.

==============

And also, is it just me or does it seems like people are really grumpy this off-season? You'd think HB would collectively be in a better mood. I mean, we just landed a pretty decent class of recruits, and made a couple of excellent coaching changes. Things are looking up! #GlassHalfFull

Status update thread:

In the Deed the Glory

Hide Comments

10 Feb

onlyHskrfaninIL

+10

10 Feb

teachercd

10 Feb

onlyHskrfaninIL

10 Feb

B.B. Hemingway

10 Feb

El Diaco

10 Feb

B.B. Hemingway

10 Feb

TonyStalloni

10 Feb

TAKODA

10 Feb

TAKODA

11 Feb

BigRedN

+1

11 Feb

teachercd

11 Feb

ZRod

11 Feb

obert1

11 Feb

TAKODA

11 Feb

ZRod

11 Feb

teachercd

11 Feb Delete

ColoNoCoHusker

11 Feb

Lil' Red

11 Feb

TonyStalloni

11 Feb Delete

ColoNoCoHusker

11 Feb

teachercd

11 Feb

In the Deed the Glory

11 Feb

El Diaco

Boner Boner Boner Boner.

11 Feb Delete

ColoNoCoHusker

I hadn't realized that that many people are annoyed by political crap in the status updates. But I don't think we need another rule restricting content. Since it bothers than many folks, maybe it would be best if we (everyone) just refrain from putting political stuff in the status updates.

==============

And also, is it just me or does it seems like people are really grumpy this off-season? You'd think HB would collectively be in a better mood. I mean, we just landed a pretty decent class of recruits, and made a couple of excellent coaching changes. Things are looking up! #GlassHalfFull

Some people see the donut...som see the hole!

Status update thread:

In the Deed the Glory

Hide Comments

10 Feb

onlyHskrfaninIL

+10

10 Feb

teachercd

10 Feb

onlyHskrfaninIL

10 Feb

B.B. Hemingway

10 Feb

El Diaco

10 Feb

B.B. Hemingway

10 Feb

TonyStalloni

10 Feb

TAKODA

10 Feb

TAKODA

11 Feb

BigRedN

+1

11 Feb

teachercd

11 Feb

ZRod

11 Feb

obert1

11 Feb

TAKODA

11 Feb

ZRod

11 Feb

teachercd

11 Feb Delete

ColoNoCoHusker

11 Feb

Lil' Red

11 Feb

TonyStalloni

11 Feb Delete

ColoNoCoHusker

11 Feb

teachercd

11 Feb

In the Deed the Glory

11 Feb

El Diaco

Boner Boner Boner Boner.

11 Feb Delete

ColoNoCoHusker

==============

LOL;

I am not offended in the least, I said I was game. Whatever the rules are that you mods come up with, works for me. Other than that, I would say I can curse and piss with the best of them. I'm not scared , Bring it, I will be there!

• Fire 1

Being able to ignore or compartmentalize politics is a luxury that many in our country aren't able to do. I don't see what the problem is with people posting status updates about whatever they want within board rules. It's a place for people to express themselves and their random thoughts and ideas and remarks without having to create threads about every thing that pops into their head.

• Fire 2

To be clear, I didn't start this and I am not asking for any content to be banned. But as long as people are free to post all the Trump hate crap they want in status updates, those of us it annoys surely are free to complain about it all we want also. And don't misunderstand, it doesn't bother me in the least that people don't like Trump as I'm no fan either. It's just one of those things that seems so obvious to me that it doesn't need the level of attention it garners. Yeah he's a tool and about every bad descriptor you can use for him. I think most everybody gets that. I just get sick of seeing it. It's one of those preaching to the choir things. I guess that's why I rarely watch the news anymore. It's just one bad thing after the other. It's just depressing. I come on HB primarily to help escape the bs. I enjoy the levity, humor, sports talk, etc. and, when I'm in the mood to deal with it or argue I'll venture into P&R. It's no big deal, I've just had my fill of it lately. I understand not everybody is on the same wavelength. People want to keep discussing it all over the board, that's fine with me, as long as they accept that others like me may want to piss and moan about it from time to time. It's all free speech man.

• Fire 2