20 replies to this topic

#1 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

I am currently sitting on a beach in Poipu, Kauai #humblebrag

What are some of your favorite vacation spots?

The wife and I go on a tropical vacation every February w/o the kids. Keeps us sane with the cold and snow of the upper Midwest. Pre kids we did 2 Caribbean cruises and Kauai for our honeymoon. Since kids we have done the Playa del Carmen or Punta Cana areas (we're afraid to do a cruise w/o the kids incase something happens and we need to get back asap). We are currently back on Kauai for our 10th anniversary.

With kids we do Estes Park, CO every summer and stay in a big rental house there with my parents. We also took the kids just south of Cancun to an all inclusive 1.5 years ago.

Planning on going to the Charleston SC area (Folly Beach) this summer with the whole family and renting a house with a good friend (and his family) who currently live in Charlotte.

Also planning taking the kids on a Disney cruise between this coming Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The stupidity of some of our fans never ceases to amaze me. - ADS

#2 NM11046

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

Mmmmm my favorite thing about Kauai was the gelato spot in Poipou - Papalani Gelato.  GO!  Right now.

Will never go back cuz of the dam chickens though.  I have very real ornothophobia and those things are everywhere ... at the pool, in the trees, at the beach, at the rental car spot at the airport.  Ick.  Maui for me all the way (or BI)

"Red is always popular in Nebraska."

cZtDFbg.png

#3 Lyons in the Sea of Red.

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

Boy I can't wait for the day I get more than 10 days vacation
Posted Image

#4 ZRod

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,586 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:36 PM

Heard that!

Last year I lucked out and went from contract to a direct hire in August and recieved all 10 days the remainder of the year. This year will suck. I just used 2.5 days in Phoenix.

#5 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,211 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

That can be arranged.....   :o

bKzWyb.jpgI7yKkp.jpgelgfqt.jpg

#6 Dewiz

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

I am currently sitting on a beach in Poipu, Kauai #humblebrag

What are some of your favorite vacation spots?

The wife and I go on a tropical vacation every February w/o the kids. Keeps us sane with the cold and snow of the upper Midwest. Pre kids we did 2 Caribbean cruises and Kauai for our honeymoon. Since kids we have done the Playa del Carmen or Punta Cana areas (we're afraid to do a cruise w/o the kids incase something happens and we need to get back asap). We are currently back on Kauai for our 10th anniversary.

With kids we do Estes Park, CO every summer and stay in a big rental house there with my parents. We also took the kids just south of Cancun to an all inclusive 1.5 years ago.

Planning on going to the Charleston SC area (Folly Beach) this summer with the whole family and renting a house with a good friend (and his family) who currently live in Charlotte.

Also planning taking the kids on a Disney cruise between this coming Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Geez money bags hahaha

#7 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,024 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

New Orleans is a fun place to vacation.  It'd be even more fun without kids though.  :lol:

It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then winter came and the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
walkforchildren2014_small.jpg

#8 B.B. Hemingway

Head Coach

• Members2
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

My wife tells me we don't vacation enough (we haven't been on any kind of vacation in 4 years while I've been building my business). I used to shrug it off, and get back to work, but lately I've been getting an itch to see the country/world...... 

8gqZnND.jpg d2mEzH3.png6TFT3ZH.pngSoZtBNE.png

"I set my own standards. I inherit nothing. I stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of one." - The Fountainhead

--NoSleepSquad--
--ShootersShoot--

--I'mTheGOAT--

#9 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,545 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

B.B. = I was in the same boat at one time.  But, as a friend I'm going to give you some real advice.  GO.  It doesn't have to be anything expensive or elaborate.  But, a business will consume you and you need to take time with you and your wife.

NUance = I used to love New Orleans.  But, after Katrina, it has fallen into be a pretty dangerous area...and DAMN, they got proud of their drinks on Bourbon street.  They are expensive.  Still can be a fun place though.

We have spent quite a bit of time in the Caribbean.  I think my favorite place right now down there is Puerto Rico.  You are still in the US..technically.  I actually rent a car and drive wherever I want to go just fine.  It's a beautiful island with great weather and people.

Right now, my favorite place I've been to is Germany.  My wife and I spent a week in Dusseldorf last year and absolutely loved it.  We are dreaming of going back and either renting a car or taking the train and seeing the entire country.

I really want to see more of Europe.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#10 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,024 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

B.B. = I was in the same boat at one time.  But, as a friend I'm going to give you some real advice.  GO.  It doesn't have to be anything expensive or elaborate.  But, a business will consume you and you need to take time with you and your wife.

NUance = I used to love New Orleans.  But, after Katrina, it has fallen into be a pretty dangerous area...and DAMN, they got proud of their drinks on Bourbon street.  They are expensive.  Still can be a fun place though.

We have spent quite a bit of time in the Caribbean.  I think my favorite place right now down there is Puerto Rico.  You are still in the US..technically.  I actually rent a car and drive wherever I want to go just fine.  It's a beautiful island with great weather and people.

Right now, my favorite place I've been to is Germany.  My wife and I spent a week in Dusseldorf last year and absolutely loved it.  We are dreaming of going back and either renting a car or taking the train and seeing the entire country.

I really want to see more of Europe.

Yeah, the Caribbean is nice.  Fantastic weather and beaches.  I learned the hard way not to leave anything of value in your hotel room, or put anything in your checked-through airline luggage.  The baggage handlers just help themselves.  We had several items stolen out of our luggage in the U.S. Virgin Islands between the time we checked them in at the airlines counter and picked them up in the U.S.  Also, my daughter's Gameboy was stolen out of our room at a Holiday Inn in Jamaica.  I'm pretty sure it was the maid.  But I couldn't prove it.   The hotel management wouldn't do anything about it either.  

Despite my complaints above about dishonesty, both my Caribbean vacations were a blast! 

It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then winter came and the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
walkforchildren2014_small.jpg

#11 teachercd

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

Turks and Caicos!  

I totally want to go to South Carolina...I want to move there!

Gotta love the PPC

#12 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

Heading on a 10 day vacation soon. Seattle and Portland and Astoria

#13 MattyIce

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

Need to vacation more often.

Consumed with coaching for 7 months of the year though.

B22RlEW.png xH7aV6l.png

#14 Stumpy1

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

We are trying something different this year.  Instead of going on a whole family vacation, the boys and I are going on a trip and my wife and daughter are going on a trip.  The boys and I will be headed up to Oregon in September to do some salmon fishing on the Columbia River and go to the game against Oregon.  My wife and daughter are heading to Maui at the end of May. 

We have been married for 13yrs. and have been together for 16 and have only been on 1 vacation by ourselves and that was last year when we went to Cabo.  My wife wants to go more often but I absolutely hate leaving my kids.  While growing up, my family never took trips and I didn't get to travel much so it makes me hesitant on making my kids miss trips.  I don't want them to miss any experience that I think they would enjoy.   

Instead you just go around like a 4 year old who discovered that his dick is capable of pissing in places other than his pants or the toilet. - ZRod

It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. - George Burns

#15 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

When my wife was alive she was too ill to do much traveling and consumed much of our income - we did do a short Amtrack  trip to Chicago once but she was not able to do much.  Last year I didn't feel much like traveling but this year I'm getting the itch.

I was thinking of getting one of those Amtrack all you can travel passes and just go.  

Hawaii is very expensive, Caribbean I've heard is hit or miss on crime/customer service.  Australia would be a blast - I've met some cool Aussies.  

Supreme Leader says North Korea is a place to die for.

#16 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

Mmmmm my favorite thing about Kauai was the gelato spot in Poipou - Papalani Gelato.  GO!  Right now.

Will never go back cuz of the dam chickens though.  I have very real ornothophobia and those things are everywhere ... at the pool, in the trees, at the beach, at the rental car spot at the airport.  Ick.  Maui for me all the way (or BI)

chicken-farm.jpg

#17 NUinID

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

Hard to say what my favorite vacation has ever been.  I haven't been to many places outside the country other than Cabo and on a couple of Bahama Cruises.  I do enjoy the 3 day weekend thing to recharge the batteries. 

Probably my favorite weekend is Vegas.  Just got back a couple of weeks ago.  The winter here in Idaho has been terrible.  Normally we get about 8-10 inches of snow in the treasure valley at 2" incriments and it melts the next day.  This year we have had 40" and we still have about 10" on the ground and it has basically sucked.  Anyway, my wife took me to Vegas for my birthday.  Saturday all we did from about 9-4 was walk up and down the strip and enjoy the sun and the 70 degee weather.  

I would de Vegas a couple of weekends a year if I could get away with it.  Drink a little, go to a show, gamble a little, people watch and enjoy the sights.  To me that is a great way to recharge the batteries.  San Fran, and Seatlle are also great places to visit for the weekend. 

#18 NM11046

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

chicken-farm.jpg

Nightmare.

"Red is always popular in Nebraska."

cZtDFbg.png

#19 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Back from Kauai this past weekend.  Work and real life suck.

#20 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:49 AM

Walked by your gelato place a handful of times on my way to Puka Dog, but never stopped.  We prefer the Hula Pie for dessert at Keoki's/Duke's/whatever else that group calls its restaurants.

Also, if you hate chickens I can see why you wouldn't want to go back.  Those little mf'ers are everywhere.

#21 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,545 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

Looking at taking the family on a trip to Yellowstone this August.  I have been in the area before on business but never been actually through the park.  We have never been there with the family.

Any ideas or suggestions?  My problem is, what I would want to do is very different than what the rest of the family will want to do.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users