Reggie Davis - Running backs - $350,000
Bob Diaco - Defensive coordinator - $825,000
Donte Williams - Cornerbacks - $400,000
Trent Bray - Linebackers - $400,000
Bob Elliott - Safeties - $325,000
John Parrella - Defensive line - $272,500
  • Fire 1

This is a double-edged sword.

On one hand, I want Nebraska to have the best coaches.

On the other hand, coaching salaries have become an arms race and are ridiculously out of control.

Further, I'm not sold on the idea that just because we're paying 400,000+ for a coach that we have the best. Look at Mark Banker and especially Bruce Read; can anyone seriously say they were worth their salaries?

Exorbitant salaries for football coaches are now the norm and honestly, I don't like it one bit.

On the other hand, coaching salaries have become an arms race and are ridiculously out of control.

Further, I'm not sold on the idea that just because we're paying 400,000+ for a coach that we have the best. Look at Mark Banker and especially Bruce Read; can anyone seriously say they were worth their salaries?

Exorbitant salaries for football coaches are now the norm and honestly, I don't like it one bit.

You dont like it that they make a lot of money. Going into college coaching is a rough business. A lot of these guys live in the poor house for a long time as a GA or SA and then get a small time coaching job that pays peanuts. Getting a good job is a long shot and sometimes they have to find another career. Not to mention you have to move your family around every 2 or 3 years. Some make it to the top level and some don't, but those that make it to the top absolutely have earned their money.

• Fire 2

You dont like it that they make a lot of money. Going into college coaching is a rough business. A lot of these guys live in the poor house for a long time as a GA or SA and then get a small time coaching job that pays peanuts. Getting a good job is a long shot and sometimes they have to find another career. Not to mention you have to move your family around every 2 or 3 years. Some make it to the top level and some don't, but those that make it to the top absolutely have earned their money.

Look at me, I'm crying a river for these poor football coaches.

Working every single day in the private sector is a rough business.

Many Americans work 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet.

Most people when they lose their job, don't get severance pay, unlike coaches.

Moving every 2-3 years is in the job description.

Coaches even at "nothing" programs like FAU still make way more per year than the average American.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lane-kiffin-salary-at-florida-atlantic-2016-12

So unless these coaches and their assistants are living the "Carl Pelini​TM" lifestyle, then they have more than enough money to get them through whatever downs there are in their careers.

Don't mistake what I am saying to mean I don't think coaches should be paid a decent salary, they absolutely should be. But, 3 million, 6 million, or in the case of Harbaugh at Michigan, 10 million a year? Coordinators making 800K - 1 million, assistant coaches making 400K plus, etc.

Are you blanking kidding me?

If this ^ is deemed as "political" then apologies.

Coaches even at "nothing" programs like FAU still make way more per year than the average American.

So unless these coaches and their assistants are living the "Carl Pelini​TM" lifestyle, then they have more than enough money to get them through whatever downs there are in their careers.

Don't mistake what I am saying to mean I don't think coaches should be paid a decent salary, they absolutely should be. But, 3 million, 6 million, or in the case of Harbaugh at Michigan, 10 million a year? Coordinators making 800K - 1 million, assistant coaches making 400K plus, etc.

2 words: Market Value
  • Fire 1

2 words: Market Value

Yep, coaches get paid so much because their product generates a ton of revenue.

I don't have an issue with the salaries that these coaches are being paid. The market dictates what their salaries are, and they are at or near the top of their profession. I don't mind people making a lot of money if they are at or near the top of their profession.

Now, I would be willing to say that it would be good if some of the money that goes towards these coaches' salaries go to the players instead. But, that's a whole other topic.

MC, coaches make sh#t tons of $ for other people and they regularly get fired after only a few years. It's not really something to be upset about.

Ehhh, at least they get a buyout if they get fired. I'm a capitalist so I'm all for making as much money for oneself as possible. That being said, 99% of these guys would be gym teachers if not for football and the majority of these guys are dumber than sh**. But hey, GBR!

MC, coaches make sh#t tons of $ for other people and they regularly get fired after only a few years. It's not really something to be upset about.

Ehhh, at least they get a buyout if they get fired. I'm a capitalist so I'm all for making as much money for oneself as possible. That being said, 99% of these guys would be gym teachers if not for football and the majority of these guys are dumber than sh**. But hey, GBR!

That is hilarious. Majority of coaches are dumber than poop? Wow! That was quite the educational post. Wish you posted more often with all this wisdom you have instead of just keeping it to yourself. Please share it with the stupid gym teachers and coaches of the world. We don't know any better.

You're misunderstanding my post.

I have no problem with a football coach at a P5 making 1-2 million a year.

I have no problem with coordinators making up to ~400K a year.

I have no problem with assistant coaches making up to ~100-200K a year.

Those are salaries that more than adequately compensate for the long hours and getting fired.

But coaching salaries, particularly for college football, are spiraling out of control.

Am I literally alone in thinking that most college football coaches are over-paid?