LJS: Diaco's Defense is "Smashmouth"

Mavric

"I would tell all those linebackers, those front guys, to start gaining weight, get ready for an extremely physical style -- especially the inside linebackers," Grace said. "I experienced both the 4-3 and 3-4. The 4-3 is a lot more of poking and prodding, dodging guys, feeling things out.

"Whereas a 3-4, especially Diaco style, is smashmouth football, downhill, aggressive. I know Coach D will get them ready for it. But a lot of running downhill. They're going to definitely do what they can to stop the run, physical play. Hopefully a lot of knockbacks -- linemen getting knocked backwards."

You bet you better have a capable nose tackle. But if the linebackers can't hold up, it won't matter.

"There's a lot of, I'll call it, battling between inside backers and guards," Grace said. "Sure, we have a 4 1/2-yard advantage, but on those inside run plays there will be no slack given for an inside linebacker not being able to stuff that guard using speed and power to stuff those guys and fill those gaps and essentially take out two gaps depending where the nose fits."

LJS

• Fire 3

"I would tell all those linebackers, those front guys, to start gaining weight, get ready for an extremely physical style -- especially the inside linebackers," Grace said. "I experienced both the 4-3 and 3-4. The 4-3 is a lot more of poking and prodding, dodging guys, feeling things out.

"Whereas a 3-4, especially Diaco style, is smashmouth football, downhill, aggressive. I know Coach D will get them ready for it. But a lot of running downhill. They're going to definitely do what they can to stop the run, physical play. Hopefully a lot of knockbacks -- linemen getting knocked backwards."

You bet you better have a capable nose tackle. But if the linebackers can't hold up, it won't matter.

"There's a lot of, I'll call it, battling between inside backers and guards," Grace said. "Sure, we have a 4 1/2-yard advantage, but on those inside run plays there will be no slack given for an inside linebacker not being able to stuff that guard using speed and power to stuff those guys and fill those gaps and essentially take out two gaps depending where the nose fits."

LJS

Good read Mav +1!

We need to make the ccg this year and I think we may see some growing pains with this defense. We will also see strides though and if these players can buy in right away we might see a great defense the likes Hsker fans haven't seen in a long time.

OK....I'm interested in this quote from the article.

"Whereas, a 3-4, especially Diaco style, is smashmouth football, downhill, aggressive. I know Coach D will get them ready for it. But a lot of running downhill. They're going to definitely do what they can to stop the run, physical play. Hopefully a lot of knockbacks -- linemen getting knocked backwards."

Question....for the people who were old enough to be coherent during the late 80s and 90s. Does this description between the two seem to jive with what we experienced when we transitioned to the 4-3 in the early 90s?

Yes BRB, seems like different systems work at different times. The NU defenses of the mid and later 1990s were much more aggressive and in your face than the previous. However, they also started to recruit speed on D and I think that had the greatest impact. The 95 D was not only in your face but they were all over the field wt speed. I think that recruiting change had as much of an affect as the system change on D

Just go back and look at the Florida game in the Fiesta Bowl. We defeated a very good, fast offense with even greater team speed on the D side - some of those interceptions and the back to back sacks on the QB for a safety (1st wasn't called a safety but should have been - got him on the next play though!!) showed great team speed on the D side. I hope we get that going again. One of our frustrations in watching our D over the past few years is to see how slow our linebackers are. I say, turn some RBs in to linebackers to get them on the field. I think we are improving in that area now with the new LB recruits and redshirts coming available.

From what I have seen, defenses are evolving into using a lot of hybrids.

We used to say that someone was a tweener when they were too small to be a defensive end but too big to play outside backer. The size of the player had a correlation to quickness. The smaller defensive end was quick but struggled against the bigger offensive tackle. The bigger linebacker was a more physical presence that lacked the speed that position required.

Coordinators made players fit the roles they had, they needed certain players at end and tackle. certain players at outside and middle backer, and certain players in the defensive backfield. Get the right fits and you had a good defense.

Now we are seeing a lot of players who are almost glorified safety type guys. The idea is that you walk up guys to the line and make defenses guess what each player is doing while knowing that each defensive player is capable of doing multiple things, i.e. cover, rush or play the run.

From listening to Diaco's intro press conference, I got the feeling that he is very into this hybrid movement. So I am thrown by the idea that he wants to use the 3-4 in a very Bill Parcells type of way. Bill used to talk about the need for bigger and more physical linebackers. But those guys are pretty slow too. I remember our old 5-2 defense of the 1980s. Our guys were big and powerful but were too slow to get to the passer at times, which killed us against teams like Miami who had drop back passers capable of releasing the ball quickly to athletic receivers.

The switch from the 5-2 to the 4-3 and the addition of speed allowed the Huskers to attack the passer. And, well, I think Frank Costa might still be feeling the effects of that switch up.

In the end, I think we are all for a defense that will do two things that we have struggled mightily to accomplish for sometime now. We need to get to the passer quickly and we need to make a hard edge so that jet sweep plays go for something less than 10-15 yards per crack. Alright, I admit that 10-15 per crack on jet sweep might be a little bit of over statement, but those plays definitely worked for our foes through the last two coaching administrations. And the passer has been very comfortable of late as well.

• Fire 1

The thing I read is not so much a "system", but a mentality. The past 10 years, very few guys come to mind who were mentally checked in as Blackshirts with the aggressive mindset. SUH and Asante. Probably Crick, David as well. Guys who were junk yardmean and tough. Asante for all the PF calls roamed the secondary like a gladiator. SUH? No comments needed.

I'll be anxious to see who are the athletes at LB this year. I really haven't seen any yet. I hear the young guys are, but haven't seen them yet.

• Fire 2

The thing I read is not so much a "system", but a mentality. The past 10 years, very few guys come to mind who were mentally checked in as Blackshirts with the aggressive mindset. SUH and Asante. Probably Crick, David as well. Guys who were junk yardmean and tough. Asante for all the PF calls roamed the secondary like a gladiator. SUH? No comments needed.

I'll be anxious to see who are the athletes at LB this year. I really haven't seen any yet. I hear the young guys are, but haven't seen them yet.

So freaking much this ^

I remember reading a PLAYBOY article about when the Raiders were playing the Vikings back in the day. Watching the Vikings was like watching a craftsman lay carpet dilligently. Watching the Raiders play was like watching a guy parachute through a glass ceiling with a machine gun.

I want the latter, and I want a lot of guys like that.

It's all about how you run your scheme. I played in a passive 4-3 and played in a very aggressive 4-3. If your style is passive your players will inherently become passive. We didn't blitz nearly enough and our ends were to slow to sniff the qb on passing downs. Should have at least used different personel for different situations and I'm not just talking throwing a nickel out there. Just hope Diaco is aggressive with his play calling. I'm fine with defenses giving up a big play if they lost the chess match for that play. I don't like it when they get beat because a soft defensive attitude or effort

Scheme doesnt matter to me as much as a good DC who demands tough mofo mentality like McBride. McBride would grab a 6'4" 330lb DT by the facemask and threaten to f#*k him up. Surprisingly, i think he might have tried if one of the players would have pushed him. Ive played in 4-3 and 3-4, neither mattered as much as the position coaches and DC's attitudes did.