QB Isaiah Williams [Illinois - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

38 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Willimas commit?

• Nebraska
    • Missouri
    • Texas
    • Oklahoma
    • Alabama
    • Michigan
    • Oregon
    • Illinois

This poll is closed to new votes

• 4 weeks later...

21 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Illinois just hired his head coach from Trinity Catholic to coach TE's for him.  Bold move by Lovie, but should definitely help in the recruitment of this loaded private school that recruits the top players in St. Louis.  Also should in general help Illinois get into St. Louis for kids

how in the hell did they ever go away from recruiting st. louis? part of the greater metro area is in illinois.

makes the struggles of illinois basketball and football teams all the more puzzling with chicago and st louis to recruit from.

• Mavric changed the title to QB Isaiah Williams
  • 1 month later...

So Illinois has had quite a few CB's come in for this kid, including Wilt.. Could be over reaction to him unofficially visiting there and attending Jr day last month but timing seems like there might be something to this.

I know most people, myself included, think Beason's commitment won't stick but with Williams strongly considering Illinois do we need to start worrying about Lovie Smith?

4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

So Illinois has had quite a few CB's come in for this kid, including Wilt.. Could be over reaction to him unofficially visiting there and attending Jr day last month but timing seems like there might be something to this.

I know most people, myself included, think Beason's commitment won't stick but with Williams strongly considering Illinois do we need to start worrying about Lovie Smith?

His HS coach was hired by Lovie.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Well that explains it.. smart move by Lovie. Hire a HS coach that came from a school with a TON of talent. Not good for us IMO. 

Maybe they'll go 4-8 and all those talented 4 and 5* players will decommit.. sound familiar?

Smart move, but I dont think the guy is a very good coach.  Team underachieves for the amount of talent they have had.  I guess it is worth a shot by Lovie, but they are going to have to show progress and be somewhat competitive on the field for any of this to stick.  

1 hour ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Well that explains it.. smart move by Lovie. Hire a HS coach that came from a school with a TON of talent. Not good for us IMO. 

Maybe they'll go 4-8 and all those talented 4 and 5* players will decommit.. sound familiar?

Well, this might not be as bad as it seems.  Kansas tried something similar when they Tony Hull who was a big time coach in Louisiana to help them build a pipeline.  It appears that thus far it's paid ok dividends as they were able to snag Mike Lee who is a really solid DB.  I do remember that they had a rush of guys commit from LA but it appears that most of them backed off.  As a couple of other folks have mentioned, on the field production still matters quite a bit.

Williams and Beason are really good friends also.  Calvin Avery was pretty much the lead recruiter for Beason and is also helping with Williams.  Lovie said he will let Williams play QB, which is what he wants to do in college.  We are the only other team that said he could play QB also.  Other schools are recruiting him as a WR or DB.   

• Mavric changed the title to QB Isaiah Williams [Illinois - Signed LOI]