Westerkamp Determined to Prove Doubters Wrong

Mavric

I'll eat my hat if New England doesn't take one of these guys. Be it in the Draft or be it in UDFA.

likely you'll be eating your hat then. While I think these guys will get picked up and they could be a good fit in NE it's still a long shot to predict that one of these guys will end up on 1 of the 32 NFL teams

I like to live dangerously.

I'd compare Westy to Julian Edelman as far as attributes go. Julian has seemed to have a pretty good career so far. ;) I'd love for him to end up on the Packers somehow.

Because they're both white? Westy doesn't thave the speed, quickness or the moves that Edelman has, that's a pretty terrible comparison. Amendola might be a decent comp, though.

Guess that's your opinion as it had nothing to do with race. :facepalm:

Westerkamp

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 200

40 time: 4.5 seconds according to the link above.

Vertical: 40"

Edelman

Height: 5'10"

40 times: 4.52 at the combine

Vertical: 36 1/2"

At first glance, you're wrong based on what you're saying. Clearly Westy has the same speed, the same size, the same UPS if not better, he has fantastic hands. Unfortunately we won't get to compare NFL combine numbers so it'll be interesting to see how things go with those numbers on down the line. Now if you want to say that Westy can't seem to get his hips engaged at times and seems stiff in that area then I might only agree with that assessment. And remember, we're comparing a soon to be rookie to a seasoned NFL veteran so of course he's not going to have some of the same development yet that Julian has.

Watch it and try to remember:

I think Westy has the edge at the same point in their careers since he is already a WR and Edelman converted over from QB

I'd compare Westy to Julian Edelman as far as attributes go. Julian has seemed to have a pretty good career so far. ;) I'd love for him to end up on the Packers somehow.

Because they're both white? Westy doesn't thave the speed, quickness or the moves that Edelman has, that's a pretty terrible comparison. Amendola might be a decent comp, though.

Westerkamp

Edelman

At first glance, you're wrong based on what you're saying. Clearly Westy has the same speed, the same size, the same UPS if not better, he has fantastic hands. Unfortunately we won't get to compare NFL combine numbers so it'll be interesting to see how things go with those numbers on down the line. Now if you want to say that Westy can't seem to get his hips engaged at times and seems stiff in that area then I might only agree with that assessment. And remember, we're comparing a soon to be rookie to a seasoned NFL veteran so of course he's not going to have some of the same development yet that Julian has.

No, not really. I feel like the fact Edelman has four career punt return touchdowns in the league compared to Westy's almost exclusively fair catching it against (often) mediocre college competition is kind of telling about their athleticism. They are not that similar, and I highly doubt Westerkamp would run that fast of a time at the combine. Brandon Reilly is a 4.5 guy and he's clearly faster than Jordan. I'm not a Westerkamp hater, they're just not a great comparison, the only reason people would compare the two is because they're white. It's not bringing race into it's just the truth.

Westerkamp

Edelman

No, not really. I feel like the fact Edelman has four career punt return touchdowns in the league compared to Westy's almost exclusively fair catching it against (often) mediocre college competition is kind of telling about their athleticism. They are not that similar, and I highly doubt Westerkamp would run that fast of a time at the combine. Brandon Reilly is a 4.5 guy and he's clearly faster than Jordan. I'm not a Westerkamp hater, they're just not a great comparison, the only reason people would compare the two is because they're white. It's not bringing race into it's just the truth.

Your opinion I guess......... :dunno

Westerkamp

Edelman

Not to beat a dead horse but here are Antonio Brown's combine numbers:

Weight: 186

40: 4.57

Vertical: 33.5

And no one's comparing Westerkamp to Brown just because they're both undersized guys without blazing speed. If those measurables you listed for JW are legit, they would compare somewhat favorably with a guy like OBJ. If that's the case, why is everyone still trying to compare him to Edelman? Westerkamp can be a great receiver at the next level, I'm only pointing it out because it's a lazy comparison that a lot of fans seem hell-bent on making.

Westerkamp

Edelman

And no one's comparing Westerkamp to Brown just because they're both undersized guys without blazing speed. If those measurables you listed for JW are legit, they would compare somewhat favorably with a guy like OBJ. If that's the case, why is everyone still trying to compare him to Edelman? Westerkamp can be a great receiver at the next level, I'm only pointing it out because it's a lazy comparison that a lot of fans seem hell-bent on making.

I made the comparison because Edelman was just in the Super Bowl dude and makes crazy catches like Jordan does, Jordan behind the back, Edelman by his finger tips to help bring the Patriots back, not because he's white. Think what you want, not sure what your problem is here. I personally think it's pretty stupid to compare punt returns from a NFL veteran to a kid who was in college with a terrible special teams unit, but to each his own I guess........and Brown is one helluva receiver as well so you just helped prove my point in a way. Jordan has what it takes to be a great receiver in the NFL. Guess time will tell.

Westerkamp

Edelman

Part of the reason I compare the two are because of the type of WR I feel JW will be at the next level. He may be a guy to stretch the field, but he will be the guy for the short to intermediate passing game...similar to what Edelman does. JW will be sure handed and will trusted to make the catches.

Westerkamp

Edelman

I made the comparison because Edelman was just in the Super Bowl dude and makes crazy catches like Jordan does, Jordan behind the back, Edelman by his finger tips to help bring the Patriots back, not because he's white. Think what you want, not sure what your problem is here. I personally think it's pretty stupid to compare punt returns from a NFL veteran to a kid who was in college with a terrible special teams unit, but to each his own I guess........and Brown is one helluva receiver as well so you just helped prove my point in a way. Jordan has what it takes to be a great receiver in the NFL. Guess time will tell.

Funny, Pierson-El has had some success returning punts while Westerkamp was still here.

Pretty sure the coaches subbed him out most of those times. Wasn't necessarily because he was hurt, just subbing a different package of players.

And - hopefully - he won't be hurt nearly as much when he isn't leaving himself totally exposed half the time trying to bail out his QB for throwing a bad pass.

Agreed. I wish he had a couple of years of eligibility left. It would be cool to see what he could do with a better quarterback. I love Tommy's guts and moxie, but was anxious for the athlete playing quarterback days to be over. With the guys we have going forward, the receivers will be in a lot better position to succeed.

Westerkamp

Edelman

Funny, Pierson-El has had some success returning punts while Westerkamp was still here.

When Pelini was the coach with a different special teams approach, but last season, not so much..............it just appears you want to bag on J.W. for whatever reason. Or maybe you just "know more" than the rest of us. ;)

If we're comparing Westy to NFL players, he's got Wes Welker written all over him IMOY

Yeah, just slower and with less lateral quickness but don't let the tape get in the way.

Yea, no. You might want to go check Welker's pre-draft measurables (from hisTexas Tech Pro Day) before you go spewing anymore ignorance.
  • Fire 1

Westerkamp

Edelman

When Pelini was the coach with a different special teams approach, but last season, not so much..............it just appears you want to bag on J.W. for whatever reason. Or maybe you just "know more" than the rest of us. ;)

Why is disagreeing about a guy's potential bagging on a guy? I'm fairly certain Westerkamp returned punts in 2013 and was completely pedestrian at doing so but I could be wrong. Like I said, I have nothing against JW, he was a great college player and I hope he makes it the NFL. Though if he were the exact same player and happened to be not-white most of you would not be comparing him to Edelman or Welker. Like, I'm sure Reilly is the next Jordy Nelson if he can stay healthy because they're deceptively fast. ;)

If we're comparing Westy to NFL players, he's got Wes Welker written all over him IMOY

Yeah, just slower and with less lateral quickness but don't let the tape get in the way.
Yea, no. You might want to go check Welker's pre-draft measurables (from hisTexas Tech Pro Day) before you go spewing anymore ignorance.

So do you think Westerkamp has the potential to be as good as Odell Beckham and Antonio Brown because his pre-draft measurables are similar to theirs? Pretty sure I'm not the one spewing ignorance here.