Westerkamp Determined to Prove Doubters Wrong

Mavric

He wasn’t blessed with the physical attributes typically found in highly-touted receivers. But that didn’t that hold Westerkamp back from breaking Illinois High School records, nor did it prevent him from becoming one of the most productive receivers in Nebraska history.

Now, he’s determined not to let “undersized, slow, not athletic” define his NFL career.
“It’s just always been my motivation,” Westerkamp told Saturday Tradition. “People have always been doubting me. ‘Well, you’ll never amount to this. You’re too small. You’re not fast enough. You’re not athletic.’ It’s just things that I’ve heard over many years of playing this sport. But it’s what fuels me. It’s what motivates me.
“I love it. I love when people doubt that I can do something because I thoroughly enjoy proving people wrong.”

Link

Receiver is one position where running excellent routes, being able to find the hole in the zone, and actually making the catch, can and does, make up for a "slower" 40 time.

Westerkamp is definitely a slot receiver at the next level. My biggest question mark is Westerkamp's ability to stay healthy.

Showing some age, but Steve Largent comes to mind. I'd feel better for him if he could be 100% for our pro day. I look what he accomplished with a 50% QB. IMO, if given a shot, he will shine and not disappoint.

What is his 40 time? So little basic info is ever released by the program that we don't really know. The natural assumption is that we lack speed, power, etc when we don't get the numbers. We used to get winter testing, etc but if they do release this on a team wide basis I've not seen it. Just curious. The NFL is all about numbers and the speed factor is very important. I would think some team would give him a free agency or some kind of shot. He has good hands and while he is not oversized he is tough, etc. When many were suggesting he was one of the nation's best WRs and would be a top pick, I had my doubts but never say never. I wish him all the luck in the world. He was a fine Husker.

Coming out of high school he ran a 4.5 second 40 yard dash and had a 40 inch vertical. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/971879-nebraska-football-recruiting-4-star-recruit-jordan-westerkamp-player-of-year

I'd say he'll turn some heads at pro day if he is fully 100%.

I would guess westy is a high 4.5 to mid 4.6 guy. Reilly is probably a high 4.4 to low 4.5 guy. Has great Hands and instincts and could find holes in the defense. His work ethic will determine if he catches on with a team. The combine would not really help Westy too much bc his athleticism is not his selling point. Put on tape and talk to the kid and some team might give him an opportunity

Westercamp has pretty much all the tools to be an NFL receiver in the right system, but he has to get over the catching a pass and getting nicked up and coming off the field for 2-3 plays. That won't fly in the NFL. Brandon R. needs to stop doing it too. They have to be physically tougher to play in the NFL.

• Fire 1

Westercamp has pretty much all the tools to be an NFL receiver in the right system, but he has to get over the catching a pass and getting nicked up and coming off the field for 2-3 plays. That won't fly in the NFL. Brandon R. needs to stop doing it too. They have to be physically tougher to play in the NFL.

Sorry man, this 'coming off the field for 2-3 plays' didn't happen as much as you think it did. You might have seen it after he was hurt this past year but in the past 3 years he did no such thing and was one of our most resilient players.

I am definitely not the only one that has ever noticed that.

• Fire 1

Pretty sure the coaches subbed him out most of those times. Wasn't necessarily because he was hurt, just subbing a different package of players.

And - hopefully - he won't be hurt nearly as much when he isn't leaving himself totally exposed half the time trying to bail out his QB for throwing a bad pass.

• Fire 3

Sorry man, this 'coming off the field for 2-3 plays' didn't happen as much as you think it did. You might have seen it after he was hurt this past year but in the past 3 years he did no such thing and was one of our most resilient players.

I am definitely not the only one that has ever noticed that.

You're definitely not the only one to notice he did that this year while sporting multiple injuries but didn't do it all 3 other years and decided to generalize it making it sound like he has always done this his entire time here?

I'll agree with that.

No, I would say he did it some his Jr year also.

Pretty sure the coaches subbed him out most of those times. Wasn't necessarily because he was hurt, just subbing a different package of players.

And - hopefully - he won't be hurt nearly as much when he isn't leaving himself totally exposed half the time trying to bail out his QB for throwing a bad pass.

I thought it was interesting how we subbed WR this year. I remember at the Illinois game it seemed like there was a different group of receivers in every play