Huskers Add Kurt Warner's Son as Walk-On WR

Mavric

This is why so many fans are always disappointed in our team. The expectations are too high. Look at this situation. Some guys think this kid is going to be big time. He's from Arizona. His own FCS school, Northern Arizona, didn't even want him. He got one FCS offer and that's it. Let's cool our jets here.

I get that. BUT, why did so many big time programs want him as a walk-on then? Just to say, hey we got Warners kid, zippity do Dah? I mean, he obviously has some flaws, but he must have enough talent where he could help the team out in 2-3 years.

This is why so many fans are always disappointed in our team. The expectations are too high. Look at this situation. Some guys think this kid is going to be big time. He's from Arizona. His own FCS school, Northern Arizona, didn't even want him. He got one FCS offer and that's it. Let's cool our jets here.

I get that. BUT, why did so many big time programs want him as a walk-on then? Just to say, hey we got Warners kid, zippity do Dah? I mean, he obviously has some flaws, but he must have enough talent where he could help the team out in 2-3 years.

And he is clearly a top end talent as a walk on player. No one is saying we should have given him a scholarship, but this guy is still a great land as a flyer guy. If he doesn't pan out oh well no harm no foul, and if he does you get a hard working, solid player down the road. He isn't going to win the bilitnikof award but I could see him catching a key 3rd down pass against Wisconsin his senior year.

I would not beat all surprised if I learned that Kurt Warner has a big influence of his son's football playing / school decision thinking. It would not surprise me that a walk on would be just fine (I am sure Dad can afford to pay some tuition, etc - he made many millions). They may well have narrowed their choices of schools / football programs and coaches, etc to a very short list of ones that fit Kurt's idea of what is best for his son. Why wouldn't he?

A scholarship is a commitment of sorts by both player and coach. Riley has some kind of reasonably positive reputation in the football world obviously (K. Johnson, Miles, Spielman, etc as we have already made good note of and now with Warner). Nebraska has a good national reputation as being a place where both football and education and an overall positive expereince is important. We have never been in serious NCAA trouble and historically our coaches have been very responsible and postive mentors generally for our players. Of course not every former Husker can say he had a wonderful experience and absolutely no regrests. That is impossible to expect. But the vast majority of former players have pretty fond memories and assuming they gave their best efforts and made good choices, they results of being a Husker student athlete were very rewarding. This ought not be surprising although it is quite refreshing and encouraging to see this kind of postive brand recognition and acceptance by some pretty 'big' names within the insiders of big time football (college and pro).

Go Big Red!