Uber

zoogs

https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

As most of you know, I left Uber in December and joined Stripe in January. I've gotten a lot of questions over the past couple of months about why I left and what my time at Uber was like. It's a strange, fascinating, and slightly horrifying story that deserves to be told while it is still fresh in my mind, so here we go.

Spoiler alert: horrifying (and unsurprising) sexism.

These problems are not unique to them; many comments I've heard about this story are along the lines of "this only surprises you if you are a man". But what better way to help the industry help itself than by making everyone aware that if stuff like this surfaces (as it will), they will take a permanent hit that no amount of firing and personnel changes can paper over?

This will sound very odd ... but at least the sexism is pretty flagrant and out in the public eye there at Uber. Most often what we face in large corporations isn't something that you can put your finger on specifically. But numbers don't lie. Women in leadership positions overall in business are very low for very specific and prolific reasons.

https://medium.com/@hadrad1000/reflecting-on-susan-fowlers-reflections-e2dccb374b47#.jezc5s6eb

If people only take from this the fact that Uber’s HR department needs work, and the managers are a$$hole$, and Uber needs to release its diversity statistics, then we are missing the point.

Sexism is a problem everywhere. In politics, in publishing, in academia. If this is a wake-up call for HR, for SREs, and for Uber, then that’s wonderful. But it needs to be more. It needs to be a wake-up call for everyone.

I think I've been pretty lucky in grad school and then my job.

That's not to say that I think I should be scared to ever look for another job because every workplace is teeming with sexual harassers who want to pay me half a salary.

But my STEM field has a lot of women in it. There were more women in my department than men (although more male professors and male professors running committees). And at work my boss is female. I haven't worked directly under a man before except my professor during my Master's project.

And yes I know that's going to end up in the Woodshed. You sexist monsters.