** 2017 Opponent Previews: Arkansas State (Game 1) **

Saunders

Thanks for the welcome. As a die-hard ASU fan and alum, I look forward to see how we will match up. I will be around asking questions and reading through posts to learn about the Huskers.

Its going to be an interesting matchup, because NU is a bit of a mystery this yeah. Brand new defensive system, and an offense that won't look like anything we've seen around here since at least 2009, with (likely) better QB play. On a side note, because I live in FL, the ASU game in 2012 was my first Husker game in over a decade, and my wife's first game ever.
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hello Huskers.

With 25 days left before my Red Wolves once again make the trip to Lincoln, I was wondering how the Big Red faithful see their team going into the season.

I am not coming here with any delusions of grandeur or predictions of a close game, just interested in the take that Nebraska has in their team as well as your thoughts of the Arkansas State squad.

If you have any questions (I can answer without giving away state secrets) I'll do my best.

Sincerely,

Bojo

• Fire 5

Hello Huskers.

With 25 days left before my Red Wolves once again make the trip to Lincoln, I was wondering how the Big Red faithful see their team going into the season.

I am not coming here with any delusions of grandeur or predictions of a close game, just interested in the take that Nebraska has in their team as well as your thoughts of the Arkansas State squad.

If you have any questions (I can answer without giving away state secrets) I'll do my best.

Sincerely,

Bojo

Who's your best player?

By reputation, absolutely would be Ja'Von Rolland-Jones. The RS Sr DE was the Sun Belt Player of the Year after starting the season as a rotational player at DE. He improved his run defense and finished the season with 57 tackles, 20.5 TFL and 13.5 sacks. He has an outside shot at eclipsing Terrell Suggs' NCAA record for sacks this season. If not him on defense, then a toss up between Kyle Wilson and Dee Liner.

Wilson, a JUCO transfer from Wichita, KS by way of Hutch, moved into the starting line up at the Mike LB position early in last season and ended up with 79 tackles, 15.5 TFL. Liner, the Alabama transfer, was a monster in the bowl game vs UCF, and has seemingly turned a corner for the Red Wolves. He finished with 8.5 TFL, with at least one in the last four games of the year.

Offensively, hard to tell you. Justice Hansen was an Oklahoma signee out of HS, where the former 4* recruit redshirted before transferring to Butler CC. Last season he threw for 2700 yards, 19 TD against 8 INT. He also ran for 131 yards, but was slowed by a knee injury last season.

Warren Wand is the top returning rusher, the 5'5 running back, ran for 879 yards last year, and 7 TD. He also 279 yards receiving and 3 TDs.

Blake Mack might be the best offensive player, the 6'4/245 TE is the leading returning receiver with 34 catches for 600+ yards and 3 TD. Arkansas transfer Kendrick Edwards, at 6'6/215, gives the outside pass catchers a new dimension in length.

I know that wasn't a direct answer, but best I could come up with.

• Fire 3

5'5? Jesus that dude is gonna get smoked. Big Mick could eat that little fella!

If he can find him

That's the idea. Won't find many "big" RBs on our roster. The biggest, Armond Weh Weh, 6'0/225, is coming off ACL surgery so not sure how ready he'll be by the 2nd. Otherwise:

Wand: 5'5/179

Johnston White: 5'11/190

Jamal Jones: 5'9/185

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad your best players are a DE and TE. Those are good tests for us week 1.

As long as we can show well (competitively) and come out healthy from the first two games (Huskers and the Hurricanes...because we decided to schedule the best teams of the 80s/90s on the same season) I think we'll end up okay.

By reputation, absolutely would be Ja'Von Rolland-Jones. The RS Sr DE was the Sun Belt Player of the Year after starting the season as a rotational player at DE. He improved his run defense and finished the season with 57 tackles, 20.5 TFL and 13.5 sacks. He has an outside shot at eclipsing Terrell Suggs' NCAA record for sacks this season. If not him on defense, then a toss up between Kyle Wilson and Dee Liner.

Wilson, a JUCO transfer from Wichita, KS by way of Hutch, moved into the starting line up at the Mike LB position early in last season and ended up with 79 tackles, 15.5 TFL. Liner, the Alabama transfer, was a monster in the bowl game vs UCF, and has seemingly turned a corner for the Red Wolves. He finished with 8.5 TFL, with at least one in the last four games of the year.

Offensively, hard to tell you. Justice Hansen was an Oklahoma signee out of HS, where the former 4* recruit redshirted before transferring to Butler CC. Last season he threw for 2700 yards, 19 TD against 8 INT. He also ran for 131 yards, but was slowed by a knee injury last season.

Warren Wand is the top returning rusher, the 5'5 running back, ran for 879 yards last year, and 7 TD. He also 279 yards receiving and 3 TDs.

Blake Mack might be the best offensive player, the 6'4/245 TE is the leading returning receiver with 34 catches for 600+ yards and 3 TD. Arkansas transfer Kendrick Edwards, at 6'6/215, gives the outside pass catchers a new dimension in length.

I know that wasn't a direct answer, but best I could come up with.

Great breakdown. Thanks for sharing!

• Fire 1