My favorite spaghetti pasta sauce with turkey

Enhance

I developed this myself combining some of my own taste preferences and a couple of other recipes I've used from the internet. It's by far and away my favorite kind of pasta sauce - enjoy!

Ingredients:

-1 lb ground turkey
-1 red or green pepper, finely chopped
-1/2 onion (white), finely chopped
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1 can Trader Joe's organic diced tomatoes 32 oz
-1 16 oz can Trader Joe's tomato sauce
-1 small can Trader Joe's tomato paste
-2 TSP dried oregano
-2 TSP dried basil
-1 TSP dried thyme
-1 TSP dried parsley
-1 TSP Rosemary
-1 TBSP sugar
-Crushed Red pepper to taste (usually half a teaspoon)
-1 TSP salt
-1/2 TSP pepper
-4 Bay Leaves
-2 TBSP olive oil
Directions:
1) In a large skillet, heat one TBSP of olive oil and then sauté the pepper and onion over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds.
2) Remove pepper/onion/garlic from pan and set aside. In the same skillet, put the other TBSP of olive oil and cook the ground turkey thoroughly. Once cooked, put the pepper/onion/garlic mix back in with the turkey and stir. (NOTE: If you have a gas stove, you can do this the 'one pan' style. Push the pepper/onion/garlic mix to the back of the skillet and move it off the burner, leaving only about half the skillet on the burner for cooking the turkey. Combine everything once the turkey is cooked through).
3) Drain the turkey mixture to remove some of the grease from the pan. Then, combine the turkey mixture, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and all the spices back into the skillet. Stir well, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for one hour. (NOTE: If you don't have a skillet large enough to hold all of this, put everything into a large sauce pan or pasta cooker to simmer).
4) After an hour, remove the bay leaves and serve over whole wheat pasta.
  • Fire 1