Han Solo Spinoff Confirmed

40 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Not sure if this is a "spoiler" or not...but I'm going to hide the comment just in case.

Hide contents

So in the Star Wars timeline...this film is set prior to The Phantom Menace.  In reality, this is "Episode 1".

I just had a moment of revealation...

Spoiler

Solo couldn't possibly be set prior to TPM.  If it was, Han would be much, much older than he was in ANH.

14 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Hide contents

Solo couldn't possibly be set prior to TPM.  If it was, Han would be much, much older than he was in ANH.

There's a chart here:

http://www.yodasdatapad.com/ages.html

and an explanation of:

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Hide contents

As Moiraine pointed out, Maul survived TPM through great hate and was found with mechanical spider legs that were changed into normal mechanical legs.  TCW cartoon show got weird sometimes, but the overall quality was very good especially over the last few seasons.  Think I've done it before, but I would recommend watching it if you are at all interested in Star Wars (though it is a little "kiddie" sometimes, more so in the earlier seasons).

Back to Solo, though, read/saw/heard that Solo starts around 13 years before ANH then time jumps to 10 years before.

Spoiler

Also Han's going to Jabba to start working for him at the end, but it's not going to be THE job that he's in hot water for at the beginning of ANH.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Went in not expecting much.  Unfortunately I got what I expected.  The Darth Maul sighting was very cool.  Otherwise just sort of a forgettable 'Star Wars' pic for me.

So what exactly were you expecting?  I admit this is not a great film, nor one that I will put into my top 3....

But it is a very good film. 

Further, Ron Howard deserves (in this Star Wars fan's opinion) huge kudos for coming in half to two-thirds of the way through production and turning what was rumored to be a stinking pile of excrement into something that turned out to be fun and entertaining.  And, it was far better than almost anyone expected.

One of my greatest gripes about the prequel trilogy was how it shoe-horned in all sorts of unnecessary components from the original trilogy and in the process, created glaring plot holes that devalued the original movies. My hope with Solo was that it would be a fun movie that could avoid those mistakes. And the the most part, it did.

The story was straightforward, it was a safe play by Disney, nothing earth-shattering, but it was fun. Good popcorn entertainment. Chewie was great. Lando was great. The references were great. Perhaps too many additional characters introduced, and the actor that played Han seemed like more of a mix between Leo DiCaprio and Dennis Quaid than Harrison Ford.

The surprise at the end sent my 9 year old son and I to Wookiepedia to find out more. He knows more about the Clone Wars and Rebels series than I do (my children are Star Wars nerds too, I’m a very proud papa), so it led to some good family discussions afterward. Thumbs up from me.

Saw it last night. Liked it good popcorn movie, good escapist entertainment, which is what Star War’s movies were always ment to be.

I guess I never really feel there is much more to seeing a movie than that.  It does not have to have a profound impact on my life.

• Plus1 1

Spoilers ahead (I think enough time has passed)...

Things I loved about this film:

1. All the nods and winks to the original trilogy.

2. At the end, tying this movie into the the original trilogy.

3. Han shooting first.

4. The appearance of Darth Maul, or just Maul now at the end.

5. Alden Ehrenreich's portrayal of Han.  Wasn't a total scoundrel but wasnt all good either.  Fit pretty well with OT Han.

Just now, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm not sure what you're asking...:lol:

*What film I liked better?

*What film would I recommend someone see?

*What film was cooler?

*What film had more easter eggs and/or references?

*What film had the better cast, plot, story, etc?

Come on sista, help me out here.  

30 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Well these are just my opinions and clearly people are free to agree or disagree as they wish...

1. I liked Deadpool 2 better, simply because I highly anticipated it versus the "meh" feeling I had prior to Solo.  I also liked DP2 better because whatever craziness you saw on-screen, you could just say, "Well that's Deadpool."  Whereas with Han, that character was played by newcomer playing a legendary Hollywood icon; and fans of Star Wars have extremely specific ideas of how Han should be played.  It was a tight-rope that I thought both Ron Howard and Alden Ehrenriech walked pretty well.

2. If someone has a preference for crude humor and comic books, Deadpool.  If said preference is for science fiction fantasy, Solo.

3. I really have no opinion on which film was cooler because they're such different genres.  The only thing they both have in common is that they're fictional.  I guess if I was pressed to answer though, Deadpool was cooler simply because they had more latitude on profanity, inappropriate jokes, and overall crude humor.  Not sure what that says about me though.  ;)

5. Honestly...this is a tie.  I loved how Solo, at the end, tied into the beginning of the Rebellion.  I thought Donald Glover gave a 100% believable performance as a young Lando.  The new young guy who plays Chewie is nearly seemless with Peter Mayhew's take.  Emilia Clarke was perfectly cast as Qi'ra and I appreciated her seemingly two different takes on the character.  Surprisingly, Woody Harrelson was better than expected and I loved that Han shot first. 

Deadpool though, was equally good.  Zazie Beetz made the perfect Domino.  Thanos, I mean Josh Brolin, brought Cable to life in a pretty authentic way.  Brad Pitt's cameo was hilarious.  The jokes, "Hey...slow down on the hate Fox and Friends" references, and the overall messages of the film: family is important and preventing kids/people from being abused today, can spare pain and suffering in the future were all blended incredibly well together.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Um... I loved the movie.

My favorite part was

Hide contents

the explanation for why Lando pronounces Han's name wrong. I always noticed that whenever Lando said it. It's hilarious that they worked in an explanation for it.

Spoiler

Must of missed it. Was it simply to annoy Han, that's what I've thought since I realized with help that Lando says his name different.