(POLL) Should NU fire Miles?

Should NU Fire Miles  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think so on Smith --

If we make a change, we need a head coach who has been to more than one NCAA tournament - we've done the mid-level guys / 1 tournament and that hasn't worked (Collier, Sadler, Miles, Smith (would have none as a head coach -- barring conf. tournament)

I think Mark Gottfried who was just let go at NC State - 4 NCAA appearances in 6 six years - two sweet sixteens - that is right at the level we'd love to be at

Gottfried would be an epic homerun hire for NU

Agree completely, if Gottrfired wants the job that might also influence on whether we fire or keep miles. If he doesn't want it, keep Tim for an extra year and see what happens.
4 years and he's like 20 games under 500 in league play. No excuse for that. None.

Unbelievable basketball facilities, the arena alone is amazing, add in a passionate fanbase that shows and fills the arena given a sub .500 season and i would think the Nebraska job is very appealing to any coach out there. And unlike recruiting in football, basketball is a bit different. Absolutely no reason the smaller school Creighton in the state of Nebraska should be a more powerhouse in bball then Nebraska in the B1G. Go get McDermott or something. Tim Miles is a great guy but he has had ample opportunity to make progress at NU and he hasn't done it.

• Fire 1

The one thing that gave me hope was even though they were losing, they'd still fight to the end. That just went out the window these last few games.

They aren't playing like a team with hope. Mike Birbiglia says to be successful, you have to be delusional to begin. The team should have still been delusional about their chances for the season. After those two consecutive wins, you'd like the mindset of:

"If we get a better seed in the B1G tournament, maybe a two-round bye, catch a few breaks and we win the tourney and we're off to the NCAAs! It's anyone's ballgame then!"

Instead, they're playing and/or coaching like:

"Who cares what happens. Our season (My job?) is over, we have no chance of making any post-season. Let's just start over next season (next school)."

The dramatic shift in attitude has me wondering if his fate wasn't already sealed.

Would Craig even accept the job? Aren't he and Miles still really good friends?

Yes they are. After the USD-UNL game this year they even did a joint press conference. Never seen that before with opposing head coaches. Tim even made the crack during the press conference that Craig was interviewing for his job.

If we make a change, we need a head coach who has been to more than one NCAA tournament - we've done the mid-level guys / 1 tournament and that hasn't worked (Collier, Sadler, Miles, Smith (would have none as a head coach -- barring conf. tournament)

I think Mark Gottfried who was just let go at NC State - 4 NCAA appearances in 6 six years - two sweet sixteens - that is right at the level we'd love to be at

Agree completely, if Gottrfired wants the job that might also influence on whether we fire or keep miles. If he doesn't want it, keep Tim for an extra year and see what happens.
4 years and he's like 20 games under 500 in league play. No excuse for that. None.

Yea definitely no excuses for poor conference play. Add in the fact no wins vs Michigan or Creighton at all since Miles came here. Mark G.would take this job if we pay up for him. Outside of him getting Craig Smith would be going right back where we are now, up and comers that hopefully pan out. Although Craig would do a better job here I don't think he would get us to the top of the conference, but he may get us that tourney win that we still need. Only mid major coach I want is Archie Miller. He would recruit well here and beat the upper teams and be competitive in big time games.

Yea definitely no excuses for poor conference play. Add in the fact no wins vs Michigan or Creighton at all since Miles came here. Mark G.would take this job if we pay up for him. Outside of him getting Craig Smith would be going right back where we are now, up and comers that hopefully pan out. Although Craig would do a better job here I don't think he would get us to the top of the conference, but he may get us that tourney win that we still need. Only mid major coach I want is Archie Miller. He would recruit well here and beat the upper teams and be competitive in big time games.

I hadn't thought about Gottfried; that would be a great get. I'm in favor of interviewing Smith, but I highly doubt we could pull Archie Miller away; he's in line for a top tier job should he want to leave Dayton.