Cheese Sauce Help

Does anyone know how to make a homemade cheese sauce?

I have tried equal parts butter and flour to make a roux. Cooking it for 4-5 minutes to cook the flour taste out, then adding milk, continuously stirring, until it thickens then adding shredded cheese a little bit at a time until a cheese sauce is there.

The problem is: it never turns out to tasting smooth and cheesy. It always turns out "gritty" vaguely floury...what am I doing wrong? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Depends on what you're making for what kind of cheese you use. For nacho/taco dip, a basic recipe is:

2 TBSP buttter
2 TBSP corn starch
1 cup milk (+ more as needed)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Melt the butter on medium, add the starch & stir with a fork or whisk until the frothiness of the flour abates & the mixture turns a little bit brown. Slowly add the milk & stir/whisk to keep it smooth. When it comes to a slight boil it'll thicken a bit. Add the shredded cheese while stirring. Serve immediately. I usually add more milk once the cheese is melted because I like my cheese sauce a little runnier.

I make this sauce with a very sharp white cheddar as a topping for baked potatoes.

There's another, simper method for making cheese sauce, though. I've been experimenting with it with good success. There's science behind this and there's no wiggle room in the recipe, so you have to use corn starch, you have to use evaporated milk, etc.

Cheese Sauce for Cheese Fries and Nachos Recipe

8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese (or a mix of cheddar and pepper Jack—see note), grated on large holes of a box grater
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 teaspoons Franks Red Hot or other hot sauce

Add cheese and cornstarch to large bowl. Toss to combine. Transfer to medium saucepan. Add 1 cup evaporated milk and hot sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with whisk until melted, bubbly, and thickened (about 5 minutes). Mixture will look thin and grainy at first but will thicken and come together after heating. Thin to desired consistency with additional evaporated milk. Serve immediately with fries, tortilla chips, burgers, or hot dogs.

• Fire 1