Spring Practice - Tight Ends

There are 3-4 names of tight ends who have shown they can play (Hoppes, Stoll, Snyder, and even Engelhaupt making some catches). Plenty of good competition going into the summer and optimism about what this group could become.

Do the guys already here have enough skill/depth to have Rafdal and Allen redshirt? Those two obviously have taller frames but have no idea if they'll be looking to crack a line up here next year.

Don't forget Connor Ketter, who was injured this spring. I believe he will get some playing time as well. It will be a wait and see approach, but I assume we redshirt Allen and play Rafdal or vice versa. One plays and one sits is what I would think happens. If those 5 tight ends give us great play, then both could redshirt, but in my mind one will play and the other will redshirt.

» Tight end Tyler Hoppes: He took a lick on a few catches and came up with the ball. He became the No. 1 tight end at the right time. He’s destined for a big year.

» Tight end David Englehaupt: He had two costly drops when he tried to run with the ball before he caught it, but the redshirt freshman from Norfolk Catholic is really quick and decisive once he secures the catch. He’ll be a good one down the road.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-huskers-still-have-to-identify-top-playmakers-but-good/article_f9e44089-6576-5065-996e-e7178b053733.html

• Fire 1

There are 3-4 names of tight ends who have shown they can play (Hoppes, Stoll, Snyder, and even Engelhaupt making some catches). Plenty of good competition going into the summer and optimism about what this group could become.

Do the guys already here have enough skill/depth to have Rafdal and Allen redshirt? Those two obviously have taller frames but have no idea if they'll be looking to crack a line up here next year.

Just based on film (and injury history?) I would definitely want Allen to redshirt. Don't think we need him.

Think Rafdal could make a case for early playing time just based on unique size.

Just based on film (and injury history?) I would definitely want Allen to redshirt. Don't think we need him.

Think Rafdal could make a case for early playing time just based on unique size.

Agree with you on Allen Redshirting. We are in good shape at the tight end spot, but lets see how they do against the B1G defenses. Usually if a TE is open they can find a way to get open in most defenses because most defenses are concerned about the WR's.

Not that he will wind up doing this but I think Rafdal has the frame to be a hell of a Tackle. He doesn't run that well for a tight end but his size, length, and frame could make him an elite player as a Tackle.

This may be true, but he has pretty good hands in my opinion. Most tight ends do not have break away speed, in fact I recall Wisconsin having elite tight ends that were a bit slow. His size makes him a matchup nightmare in the redzone. If you do double him it can open up other players too, I think tight end will be his position here or we would not have spent time recruiting him imo.

Not that he will wind up doing this but I think Rafdal has the frame to be a hell of a Tackle. He doesn't run that well for a tight end but his size, length, and frame could make him an elite player as a Tackle.

This may be true, but he has pretty good hands in my opinion. Most tight ends do not have break away speed, in fact I recall Wisconsin having elite tight ends that were a bit slow. His size makes him a matchup nightmare in the redzone. If you do double him it can open up other players too, I think tight end will be his position here or we would not have spent time recruiting him imo.

Theres no doubt he starts his time here at TE but I personally am really not that high on him there. Re-watch his highlight film, its not that he doesn't have "break away speed", the kid is really really slow in space: http://247sports.com/Player/Kurt-Rafdal-85660

And we have big(ger) bodies at the position too who fill the role of big TE matchup nightmare in the red zone. Austin Allen is 6'8. Matt Snyder is 6'5. David Englehaupt to me looked like a player who will be a really nice player for us in a few years as he continues to add weight and finds his way onto the field. He gets to the second level on his routes quickly. Haven't even gotten to Cameron Jurgens yet who is a top 100 player in the country and is coming here to play tight end.

It was just an observation by me but don't rule it out because we recruited him as a tight end. Freedom started out at TE and is a multiple year starter at DE. Zack Darlington is a WR for us and he came in as a top 15 rated duel threat QB in the country. Things/people change and kids want to get onto the field.

Theres no doubt he starts his time here at TE but I personally am really not that high on him there. Re-watch his highlight film, its not that he doesn't have "break away speed", the kid is really really slow in space: http://247sports.com/Player/Kurt-Rafdal-85660

And we have big(ger) bodies at the position too who fill the role of big TE matchup nightmare in the red zone. Austin Allen is 6'8. Matt Snyder is 6'5. David Englehaupt to me looked like a player who will be a really nice player for us in a few years as he continues to add weight and finds his way onto the field. He gets to the second level on his routes quickly. Haven't even gotten to Cameron Jurgens yet who is a top 100 player in the country and is coming here to play tight end.

It was just an observation by me but don't rule it out because we recruited him as a tight end. Freedom started out at TE and is a multiple year starter at DE. Zack Darlington is a WR for us and he came in as a top 15 rated duel threat QB in the country. Things/people change and kids want to get onto the field.

Meh I want the 6-7 guy with pretty darn good hands catching passes. 230 to 300ish is a pretty big jump. He'd also have to do so relatively quickly to have adequate time to learn the OT position. He's certainly not fast but he's quick enough to run the routes a TE needs to and go get the ball. I don't really think he's as far off from the other guys as you think.

Interesting idea to bring up though and certainly not terrible to consider different ways to help out the line.

One thing I can say about trying to judge a guy's speed on film who happens to be 6'8 it's tricky. They look slower but they are usually covering lots of ground. If you are putting a SS on him he could be on that guy before he knows it and not be in a good spot to turn his hips. Hopefully you teach your TE how to push off as another tool to get open. Plus a little strength and conditioning could help with that as well

Meh I want the 6-7 guy with pretty darn good hands catching passes. 230 to 300ish is a pretty big jump. He'd also have to do so relatively quickly to have adequate time to learn the OT position. He's certainly not fast but he's quick enough to run the routes a TE needs to and go get the ball. I don't really think he's as far off from the other guys as you think.

Interesting idea to bring up though and certainly not terrible to consider different ways to help out the line.

I do not think Rafdal will redshirt, he will be playing, so he will get acclimated to the TE spot. It would be really hard to move him if he spends two years at the TE position, so that is why the move to OT is unlikely. AA will redshirt and Rafdal should play, that is the reason we got him was to play him early. Rafdal will be a big time redzone threat, and people don't realize this but some of the best TE's are walk-ons. I too was concerned about this position but now am glad it is being utilized and coached well.