LJS: Retaining Miles May Create A Lot Of Pressure on Program

If Miles is indeed brought back -- a shaky proposition in the wake of four straight unsightly losses -- Nebraska would be expected to reach the NCAA Tournament. In fact, for Miles, a likely scenario would be Big Dance or bust. In other words, the heat would be significant from the get-go. It would be an almost daily discussion in the state.

RPI number-crunchers would have a heyday. Each setback would feel enormous.

Is Miles' program showing the level of mental toughness to tackle that sort of pressure? I have my doubts, especially after Sunday night's 93-57 home loss to unranked Michigan -- the worst home defeat in program history.

Once again, I ask you to think ahead to 2017-18. Even if Miles' roster remains intact -- it is a promising group of players -- Nebraska would nevertheless need to win several close games in the deep and talented Big Ten in order to land an NCAA Tournament bid. In close contests, in-game coaching -- personnel decisions, strategy, working the zebras -- becomes especially important. Miles, a good recruiter and excellent representative of the program, has shown to be only a so-so bench coach.

If you're a Nebraska fan, how much do you trust Miles and his staff to consistently out-prepare and out-smart Big Ten coaches?

I think I know the answer.

LJS

I'd like to see Miles get one more year, but that's more due to because I like him, rather than know he's a good coach. My guess is SE has already stoked the fire for coaches with interest in coming to Nebraska. If you think you have a home run replacement, pull the trigger. If you don't, give Miles one more year.

• Fire 1

I see Miles as being as good as any of the past half dozen or so coaches at Nebraska and probably just as good as any other we'd likely hire. Why make a change as it will no doubt result in a buy-out and buy-up to the next comparable coach? What evidence does anyone have that Nebraska will EVER have a top flight men's basketball team, let alone program? After so many decades of mediocrity (or worse), a fancy new arena costing many millions has not made one iota of difference, even for a supposed up and coming energetic coach of Tom Osborne's choosing.

I proudly cheer and have donate many thousands of hard earned dollars to the Nebraska Athletics Department over several decades and feel as justifiably positioned to complain as any everyday Husker fan/alum/supporter, but being realistic is also necessary on some basis. If you have a basketball 'legend' with instant national name recognition and repute, then bring him on! Otherwise, let's don't change for the sake of change. It is not fair to the players who Miles has recruited and who have made a commitment to the University to play their best as a Husker.

The Big Ten is a tough conference for a basketball wannabee like Nebraska (tougher than the Big 12 I feel) and it seemed apparent to me that Osborne led us to the Big Ten to get there primarily for football and perhaps for the academics and 'fairness' of the conference vs. the Big 12 (run by UT). He did not weight men's basketball very heavily in his decision certainly. Nebraska is at best the second best basketball program in Nebraska and at times over the years that might have been overrating them a tad. I hate being so negative but I think one needs to step back and acknowledge the honest facts as the many years have borne them out to be.

• Fire 1

I think this decision has to be made on the idea of an all in or all out approach. If they decide to keep TM he needs to be given a full contract, otherwise the type of recruits we need will never darken to door to Pinnacle. Kids won't seriously consider NU if they think Miles will be gone before they finish their freshman year. The few times when the team fired on all cylinders this year the team was hard to beat but other times it seemed like they were bi polar. I think there is a base of talent but a few pieces are missing. Another thing I'm not sure of is whether the kids doubt the coaches or doubt themselves and each other.