Should Nebraska Recruit More In-State Kids?

In State Recruits  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I keep seeing kids from the state get offers from lower D-1 schools and uppers fcs schools. They might get a walk on from N but would rather play on scholarship. I feel we recruit a lot of kids from the state but should we recruit more or does the number of about 2-3 a class seem fair to the in state kids Outside of walk-ons, do we give enough of the in state kids a chance or do we just assume they will come here if they are offered a walk on?

One player that comes to mind is Easton Stick from Creighton prep. He is doing really well at NDSU and he could have been a serviceable back up here if offered a scholarship.

Many other in staters have done well elsewhere, but does that automatically translate to them doing well here? Probably not, but we will never know how good the said player would have done.

So are the players in the state just simply not good enough or is it the coaches that feel they are not good enough? We did really well back in the day with Nebraska born boys playing for us, is going back to that going to help us get to where we want to be?

Do we feel out of state players are that much more better than ours? comment below what your opinion is.

• Fire 1

Two thirds of our class is Nebraska kids lol

No it isn't. Out of the 20 kids we recruited 4 were from Nebraska and that is being generous by giving bando the nod as a Nebraska kid. I am talking the kids that get scholarships not walk ons. Around 20 percent of the class was Nebraska kids and in my mind that is fine but we aren't winning so either the talent in Nebraska is not good enough or we might need to offer more kids in the state to see what happens. We had open scholarships up this year, why not give one or two to deserving Nebraska kids rather than restock for the 2018 cycle.

No it isn't. Out of the 20 kids we recruited 4 were from Nebraska and that is being generous by giving bando the nod as a Nebraska kid. I am talking the kids that get scholarships not walk ons. Around 20 percent of the class was Nebraska kids and in my mind that is fine but we aren't winning so either the talent in Nebraska is not good enough or we might need to offer more kids in the state to see what happens. We had open scholarships up this year, why not give one or two to deserving Nebraska kids rather than restock for the 2018 cycle.

One, he was talking about 2018.

Two, because this class recruits at a high level, and we should always get the best talent... when they can grab a 4* regularly, why should they offer the 2* Nebraska kid with FCS offers...

• Fire 1

One, he was talking about 2018.

Two, because this class recruits at a high level, and we should always get the best talent... when they can grab a 4* regularly, why should they offer the 2* Nebraska kid with FCS offers...

2018 class will not end up 2/3 Nebraska kids by signing day.

We will be in on the elite talent but will still be disappointed by the end of the cycle. Half the class might be four stars and the rest will be 3 stars possibly one two star(the kicker if he gets rated). Hopefully that instate kicker gets a scholly because he deserves one-the kid from Burke. One more instate kid outside of him would get an offer but since he plays defensive lineman he won't get one. Can't remember his name right now but we will probably give him a walk-on. If we land the elite missouri talent at he d line position I will not mind him not getting a look. The lb from McCook in my mind deserves an offer but since we are stacked at LB, he won't get one either-unless we have a spot to fill on NSD.

I will eat these words if we get 10 or more four stars in this cycle. History tends to repeat itself and history is showing me that we will not land a lot of the four star recruits we are in on. I still believe this year we will get more four stars than any other year in a while here. My number is in the 7-9 range for the number of four stars we land, currently we have two committed so about 6 or 7 more will commit on NSD. In the past we did well with instate kids coming here, so why are we not winning at the same level with Nebraska kids walkon or scholarship?

we have a ton of Nebraska kids on the roster they're just walk ons and we have recruited higher rated talent than them. Someone from the OWH pointed this out the other day and I think its true- just like Wisconsin has had success with WI walk-ons taking over spots in the ILB/OLB roles of their 3-4 I think you will see more Nebraska kids thrive in this defensive system based off what the players are asked to do. Chris Webber is a pure 3-4 ILB as an example.

• Fire 1

we have a ton of Nebraska kids on the roster they're just walk ons and we have recruited higher rated talent than them. Someone from the OWH pointed this out the other day and I think its true- just like Wisconsin has had success with WI walk-ons taking over spots in the ILB/OLB roles of their 3-4 I think you will see more Nebraska kids thrive in this defensive system based off what the players are asked to do. Chris Webber is a pure 3-4 ILB as an example.

Nice response seofred, +1

I think the 3-4 fits the mold of the Nebraska program and helps walk ons in general as well. They need to come in and play with that fire and passion that we have so dearly missed in many years. A take over the game type defender that will help us win and can free up other guys to make plays. Suh and David are the last few that were take over the game type players and you could add Prince in there also. Hopefully the Dline gives more production this year and the defense as a whole improves to make us competitive and win the west.

Should Nebraska's coaches recruit Nebraska more heavily? Theoretically, I say yes.

Practically though, the answer isn't as cut and dried. You recruit offensive lineman from Nebraska and you're probably going to get very good to excellent run blockers, but they might not have the quickness to pass block.

Recruit "skill" positions from in state and they may have the heart but not the talent.

It comes down to: can kids from in state do what these particular coaches are asking them to do within the overall scheme?

If yes, then sure recruit more in state kids. If not, recruit elsewhere.

Because no amount of love for the program growing up is going to compensate for lack of ability.