• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

#1 MichiganDad3

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Why haven't the Huskers offered this guy? He is 6-9, nearly 400 pounds and can move. "The 17-year-old Faalele (Fa-ah-lay-lay) has yet to play a down, but he already has scholarship offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida State, Hawaii, Miami, Michigan and Oregon State."

And he is Samoan :)

http://www.si.com/co...demy-recruiting

#2 Nebfanatic

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

What connections do we have to the kid?

#3 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,908 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

I'm going to predict this kid doesn't amount to much in college football.  17 years old and already 400 lbs?

More concerned about the kid's life long health.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#4 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 13,916 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

We already offered a good kicker.
O2Z2aGv.png

#5 MyBloodIsRed16

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

I'm going to predict this kid doesn't amount to much in college football.  17 years old and already 400 lbs?

Also 6'9. Played with two kids 400+ in HS and they were both over 6'6". They could move. They both only played football for two years. One didn't like FB very much and the other went to a juco and then washed out. If he loves the sport and is willing to work he can make something of himself

#6 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Hard to tell if you love the sport enough to play in college & beyond when you haven't ever played a down.

"Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#7 gbr93

Starter

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

The kid is built pretty impressively. I don't think there is any reason to be concerned over his weight. Also, heres a video of him at a recent camp.

https://twitter.com/HamiltonESPN/status/835904884364935168

#8 Husker2019

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

Probably a pipe dream, but I'd love if he was a husker

#9 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

So other than 1 article about his arrival do you guys know something else?  What am I missing here?  Sure he's big, but seems like a couple of you are in love.

"Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#10 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,908 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

The kid is built pretty impressively. I don't think there is any reason to be concerned over his weight. Also, heres a video of him at a recent camp.

Not to be negative....but....that clip really doesn't show much.  The kid rushing the QB really didn't do much.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#11 spurs1990

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

Not to be negative....but....that clip really doesn't show much.  The kid rushing the QB really didn't do much.

I mean obviously one play can't be considered any form of sample size. What I take from this is that the rusher was looking to attempt a rip move around the outside or dip through with his speed. What Faalele showed was that he's quick enough to stay in front of him and strong enough to prevent the rusher from getting to the outside. I'd have even called it an offensive victory if he would have been able to ride that defender out which would have still kept the pocket clean, but the defender didn't even get there. That all looked pretty effortless, but that probably stems from him being able to get depth without taking large or many steps. 

He was aided by the defenders inability to lower his padless pad level but he also didn't allow the other guy to create any space between them. Not too bad for a guy who is relatively new to the sport right?

On the negative side, he cost his team 5 yards.

#12 gbr93

Starter

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

I don't think I'm in love with the kid (i know you didn't say it), but I do believe there is a lot to like about the potential this guy has. One thing the video does show is his strength obviously. Seems pretty realistic that as long as this kid can get his hands on a d lineman he is going to win more often than not, and with the wingspan of a 6'9" frame, he will be able to do that pretty easily.

#13 Nebfanatic

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

All this being said I don't see any problems in NOT recruiting this kid. If we go after him great, I hope we land him, but it's not like he is a must get at a position of need inside of the radius. He has some talent but he is really just a random prospect who they made some articles about because he hasn't played yet. I don't see any special reason to target this player.

#14 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,908 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

David Knevel is 6'9" also.  Size doesn't mean everything.

At best he is a major project....walkon.

George Bush

#15 spurs1990

All American

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

Agree to disagree

#16 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,908 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

Agree to disagree

That's fine.  But, just remember one part of the OP.  He has yet to play a single down of football. 

We know he is very large.  We have seen a total of one snap at a camp where pretty much everyone admits the defender being blocked really wasn't very good....AND, he false started.

Not sure how that isn't classified as a major project.

George Bush

#17 gbr93

Starter

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

Agree to disagree

That's fine.  But, just remember one part of the OP.  He has yet to play a single down of football. 

We know he is very large.  We have seen a total of one snap at a camp where pretty much everyone admits the defender being blocked really wasn't very good....AND, he false started.

Not sure how that isn't classified as a major project.

I want to be clear by saying I never said he wouldn't be a project and I wouldn't be upset if we don't recruit him. Honestly, I'm not sure if we are in a position where we can risk the scholarship with the low numbers in this class. I was simply saying that the kid is super impressive strength/size wise and in that clip shows really high potential. Ill trust the coaches on this one all the way. If they offer and go after him hard, he must show big-time promise. If not, we may not be able to spend the time developing him that he needs. 

#18 DrunkOffPunch

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

With his skill set you take a chance on him regardless if he's s project.

27/3

#19 Hedley Lamarr

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Saban wants him....i want him
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

#20 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,908 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

With the roster of linemen that Saban has, he has room to take one long shot.  If he's there for one year and Saban realizes he sucks, he's gone.

This doesn't mean Saban thinks the kid is a great football player.

George Bush

#21 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

His skill set being .... size?

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#22 spurs1990

All American

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Strength and freakish athleticism for a 400 pounder would be part of his skill set IMO. Add that with the frame and you have a player that you should take a chance on.

#23 DrunkOffPunch

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

We took a chance on Alex Davis who didn't play football until his junior(?) year is high school and he's getting first team reps right now. This kid is a freak athlete and if he gets a hold of your pads you're done. What's the big deal that he hasn't played a down before? He's playing at one of the premier HS football facilities in the nation and plans to enroll early. He has plenty of time to learn the game.

27/3

#24 Husker2019

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

I think you should take a look at his offer list

#25 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

I did - I just don't buy into the fact that because others have determined their program can take a gamble on a big kid that UNL is at that point.  It's potentially a big waste of scholarship if we can get someone who has played the game for 4+ years and understands the game.  One that can be continued on his football knowledge journey and not just start it.  I don't want any of our coaches having to spend time explaining defense vs. offense instead of coaching and perfecting game day skills.  Division 1 FB isn't the place to learn.

We can agree to disagree on this, it's ok.  

Edit:  if your friend jumps off a cliff do you jump off a cliff too?

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#26 gbr93

Starter

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

I did - I just don't buy into the fact that because others have determined their program can take a gamble on a big kid that UNL is at that point.  It's potentially a big waste of scholarship if we can get someone who has played the game for 4+ years and understands the game.  One that can be continued on his football knowledge journey and not just start it.  I don't want any of our coaches having to spend time explaining defense vs. offense instead of coaching and perfecting game day skills.  Division 1 FB isn't the place to learn.

I mean, lets not pretend like we would actually be teaching the kid the difference between offense and defense. He's at IMG, the best possible situation to prepare high school athletes for what college is going to be like. You really think after spending two years there, this kid is going to be that far behind, if it all, a lineman coming in from any other place? Lets also visit the fact that he didn't play any snaps last year. Look at the two people who started infant of him. Broc Bando is coming here to play, and Robert Hainsey was a four-star that signed with Notre Dame. I don't think it can be denied that he would have started at just about any other high school in the country. 

#27 spurs1990

All American

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

There are plenty of busts that have played since elementary school. You take a chance on every one in recruiting. That's that name of the game. You find potential you think you can mold to fit your needs. Its very clear this kid is moldable and has an incredibly high ceiling. Division 1 FB is definitely a place to learn. I betcha the NFL would tell you that as well. 

It is okay to disagree though. Conversations wouldn't be very fun if we all had the same thoughts.

#28 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,908 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

No way of ever being able to verify this.  But, I would bet that the offers like Alabama...etc. are not committable at this time.  It's more of a...."Cool....we're watching and if you prove you can play your senior year, we will talk".

George Bush

#29 mnhusker

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

With the roster of linemen that Saban has, he has room to take one long shot.  If he's there for one year and Saban realizes he sucks, he's gone.

This doesn't mean Saban thinks the kid is a great football player.

And Saban will just cut the kid if he doesn't work out.  

#30 Atbone95

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Clearly we shouldn't take him, the only projects we should take are Nebraska kids because at least they are passionate about the team 

/s 

#31 RunMickeyRun02

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

Saw this on cnn today. I'd take him. 

#32 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,908 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

No thanks.

George Bush

#33 Warrior10

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,245 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

No thanks.
Why?

Edit: Nvrm I see your above posts.

#34 Atbone95