Daniel Faalele

David Knevel is 6'9" also. Size doesn't mean everything.

At best he is a major project....walkon.

Agree to disagree

That's fine. But, just remember one part of the OP. He has yet to play a single down of football.

We know he is very large. We have seen a total of one snap at a camp where pretty much everyone admits the defender being blocked really wasn't very good....AND, he false started.

Not sure how that isn't classified as a major project.

David Knevel is 6'9" also. Size doesn't mean everything.

At best he is a major project....walkon.

Agree to disagree

That's fine. But, just remember one part of the OP. He has yet to play a single down of football.

We know he is very large. We have seen a total of one snap at a camp where pretty much everyone admits the defender being blocked really wasn't very good....AND, he false started.

Not sure how that isn't classified as a major project.

I want to be clear by saying I never said he wouldn't be a project and I wouldn't be upset if we don't recruit him. Honestly, I'm not sure if we are in a position where we can risk the scholarship with the low numbers in this class. I was simply saying that the kid is super impressive strength/size wise and in that clip shows really high potential. Ill trust the coaches on this one all the way. If they offer and go after him hard, he must show big-time promise. If not, we may not be able to spend the time developing him that he needs.

With his skill set you take a chance on him regardless if he's s project.

His skill set being .... size?

We took a chance on Alex Davis who didn't play football until his junior(?) year is high school and he's getting first team reps right now. This kid is a freak athlete and if he gets a hold of your pads you're done. What's the big deal that he hasn't played a down before? He's playing at one of the premier HS football facilities in the nation and plans to enroll early. He has plenty of time to learn the game.

I think you should take a look at his offer list

I did - I just don't buy into the fact that because others have determined their program can take a gamble on a big kid that UNL is at that point. It's potentially a big waste of scholarship if we can get someone who has played the game for 4+ years and understands the game. One that can be continued on his football knowledge journey and not just start it. I don't want any of our coaches having to spend time explaining defense vs. offense instead of coaching and perfecting game day skills. Division 1 FB isn't the place to learn.

We can agree to disagree on this, it's ok.

Edit: if your friend jumps off a cliff do you jump off a cliff too?

I did - I just don't buy into the fact that because others have determined their program can take a gamble on a big kid that UNL is at that point. It's potentially a big waste of scholarship if we can get someone who has played the game for 4+ years and understands the game. One that can be continued on his football knowledge journey and not just start it. I don't want any of our coaches having to spend time explaining defense vs. offense instead of coaching and perfecting game day skills. Division 1 FB isn't the place to learn.

I mean, lets not pretend like we would actually be teaching the kid the difference between offense and defense. He's at IMG, the best possible situation to prepare high school athletes for what college is going to be like. You really think after spending two years there, this kid is going to be that far behind, if it all, a lineman coming in from any other place? Lets also visit the fact that he didn't play any snaps last year. Look at the two people who started infant of him. Broc Bando is coming here to play, and Robert Hainsey was a four-star that signed with Notre Dame. I don't think it can be denied that he would have started at just about any other high school in the country.

There are plenty of busts that have played since elementary school. You take a chance on every one in recruiting. That's that name of the game. You find potential you think you can mold to fit your needs. Its very clear this kid is moldable and has an incredibly high ceiling. Division 1 FB is definitely a place to learn. I betcha the NFL would tell you that as well.

It is okay to disagree though. Conversations wouldn't be very fun if we all had the same thoughts.

Saban wants him....i want him

With the roster of linemen that Saban has, he has room to take one long shot. If he's there for one year and Saban realizes he sucks, he's gone.

This doesn't mean Saban thinks the kid is a great football player.

And Saban will just cut the kid if he doesn't work out.