What Will It Take...

Miles needs to get back to the NCAA tournament and prove that the month run NU had in 2013-14 wasn't a fluke. Right now that month looks like the exception.

I kind of doubt that. Be a game or two over .500 and lose in the second round of the NIT. That will have enough people saying "look at the progress" and he'll stick around.

Maybe Miles was just taking a page out of Riley's playbook and making this year look so bad that almost anything will seem like improvement next year.

Did you really take time out of your day to type that?

I mean .... it was a joke.

But maybe the funny part is how serious people take defending Miles reputation.

• Fire 1

Miles needs to get back to the NCAA tournament and prove that the month run NU had in 2013-14 wasn't a fluke. Right now that month looks like the exception.

I kind of doubt that. Be a game or two over .500 and lose in the second round of the NIT. That will have enough people saying "look at the progress" and he'll stick around.
Well, I guess I have my expectations on what should keep Miles around. Although you are right in that people would think the season would be "progress" all while that type of season is still mediocre.

Maybe Miles was just taking a page out of Riley's playbook and making this year look so bad that almost anything will seem like improvement next year.

People want to defend Miles, the same way they want to defend Riley. They are both "nice guys" who are good with the media and fans. They also seem to bring in "talent", and with some fans think that should buy the coach years to develop that "talent". So, fans will cut them some slack when it comes to actual results, and want to take a wait and see attitude.
  • Fire 1

People want to defend Miles, the same way they want to defend Riley. They are both "nice guys" who are good with the media and fans. They also seem to bring in "talent", and with some fans think that should buy the coach years to develop that "talent". So, fans will cut them some slack when it comes to actual results, and want to take a wait and see attitude.

Why not?

A coach is building the talent on the team and representing the program well.

There will be a time when that is not enough.

Next year should be that time for miles.

If he doesn't get it done, the talent is there for the next guy.

I understand. It's not that they're wrong to defend him. There are things that can be pointed to as reasons to be defended.

But how far some people will go to defend him at all costs is a bit much for me.

Why not?

Why not is the $64,000 question. Because it's whether you think things will get enough better to justify it. You think so. Others do as well. Many do not.

Yes, he's building talent. But many tried to say we had the most talent ever this year. All Miles got us with that talent is the most losses in school history. So it's fair to question what he can do with the talent he gets.

Obviously there will be a time when that's not enough. To some, that time has already passed. Being within one loss of the school record for losses four out of his five years will do that. Maybe it's not for you, and that's fine. But it's fair to ask if that time has already come.

What will "getting it done" next year be for you?

• Fire 1

Why not?

Why not is the $64,000 question. Because it's whether you think things will get enough better to justify it. You think so. Others do as well. Many do not.

Yes, he's building talent. But many tried to say we had the most talent ever this year. All Miles got us with that talent is the most losses in school history. So it's fair to question what he can do with the talent he gets.

Obviously there will be a time when that's not enough. To some, that time has already passed. Being within one loss of the school record for losses four out of his five years will do that. Maybe it's not for you, and that's fine. But it's fair to ask if that time has already come.

What will "getting it done" next year be for you?

To be honest, the only reason it wasn't a worse loss record is because we ran out of schedule............