Winter Testing Numbers

Since we're talking about OL, and assuming roughly 300 lbs body weight:

Tannner Farmer doing 385 x 7 reps, according to the link below is roughly 462 lbs once.

For comparison: 225 lbs x 32 reps (for the same 300 lbs body weight) = roughly 465 pounds.

So you're telling me that right now, Tanner Farmer has elite strength that only the strongest lineman at the NFL Combine have?

It's possible I suppose, but I highly doubt it.

http://strengthlevel.com/

I think it's possible. He's been noted as being about our strongest guy since he got to campus.

Although I'm not sure I think rep charts like that always tell the whole story, especially when you get up past 10 or maybe 15.

I don't doubt for a second that the young man is a beast and is incredibly strong...

I just think that like 40 times, the numbers might be a little exaggerated.

If Tanner Farmer goes to the NFL Combine after this season or the next, and busts out 30+ reps at 225, then okay. But until I see it... :snacks:

Seems like I recall some story about the time we recruited him, that he put up some bench numbers as a H.S. senior that would have placed him in the top ten of the NFL bench reps at 225.

I don't have a clue about the veracity, but certainly there were some bunyanesk tales around then.

I think it's possible. He's been noted as being about our strongest guy since he got to campus.

Although I'm not sure I think rep charts like that always tell the whole story, especially when you get up past 10 or maybe 15.

I don't doubt for a second that the young man is a beast and is incredibly strong...

If Tanner Farmer goes to the NFL Combine after this season or the next, and busts out 30+ reps at 225, then okay. But until I see it... :snacks:

First of all, this is a winter testing number from UNL strength and conditioning, not a 40 time. Much easier to judge and not fudge about. Second I don't care what your chart says, doing 7 reps at whatever weight does not mean he can do 30 reps at a lower weight. Fatigue may set in among other factors. Lastly, is it that far fetched we have an exceptionally strong lineman at Nebraska?
  • Fire 2

First of all, this is a winter testing number from UNL strength and conditioning, not a 40 time. Much easier to judge and not fudge about. Second I don't care what your chart says, doing 7 reps at whatever weight does not mean he can do 30 reps at a lower weight. Fatigue may set in among other factors. Lastly, is it that far fetched we have an exceptionally strong lineman at Nebraska?

Based on the past four years of performances along the OL? Yes.

I know it's not strictly apples to apples, but my point is, well here ---> hands Nebfanatic a couple grains of salt.

Would agree. You have to train your muscles to be able to do that many reps even at a lower rate. It would be like assuming someone who runs the 100m dash really fast would also win the 400m. Not really the case if they don't train for it.

I know it's not strictly apples to apples, but my point is, well here ---> hands Nebfanatic a couple grains of salt.

I never post, but 40 times and bench are measured completely differently obviously. Its really easy to get an inaccurate 40 times unless done electronically whereas counting reps is easy. And like Nebfanatic said it's winter testing not recruiting so no reason really to exaggerate results unless Farmer himself wanted to, but I really doubt it.

And IMO it's totally believable. He's been in Lincoln a few years and was advertised as being one of the stronger guys on the team right away I'm pretty sure.

Finally, raw strength is not the sole factor in good or bad O-Line play.

It goes back further then 4 years and you can thank Dobson for that. Until MP and crew got here, we didn't work on strength as much as we should have. Plus there wasn't any accountability to be had with the last S&C crew.

It goes back further then 4 years and you can thank Dobson for that. Until MP and crew got here, we didn't work on strength as much as we should have. Plus there wasn't any accountability to be had with the last S&C crew.

not that I necessarily disagree, but do you have any proof that we didn't work on strength as much as we should? Or there was a lack of accountability?

not that I necessarily disagree, but do you have any proof that we didn't work on strength as much as we should? Or there was a lack of accountability?

Yes

A couple testing numbers leaked out.

#1 - Farmer - 7 reps of 385

#2 - McNitt - 8 reps of 365

#3 - Decker

1 and 2 are pretty impressive. Decker didn't lift anything?

I know I am overly positive when it comes to NU football - however, if our 3rd best lifter on the team did ZERO we are in trouble....

• Fire 3

Tanner farmer has been our strongest offensive lineman since he set foot on campus.

In a 2015 article...he self reportedly could do 38 repetitions of 225 lbs already. See the below article with this information.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/redshirt-season-opened-tanner-farmers-eyes

You might want to retihnk the idea that we have weak offensive linemen.

It's quite possible that he just comes from a naturally strong family.

Tanner farmer has been our strongest offensive lineman since he set foot on campus.

In a 2015 article...he self reportedly could do 38 repetitions of 225 lbs already. See the below article with this information.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/redshirt-season-opened-tanner-farmers-eyes

You might want to retihnk the idea that we have weak offensive linemen.

It's quite possible that he just comes from a naturally strong family.

Farmer = wifi