Will There be War wt N Korea next 4 years

Will there be a War with N. Korea?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

*snip* This kind of stuff whips up the base and distracts them from the Russia investigation, but it makes Trump and the US look as foolish in the eyes of the world as Saddam looked with his "mother of all battles" nonsense before the Gulf War. *snip*

The fact that this tweet has near 150K likes by the end of the day tells us everything we need to know.

I don't know how many of those are bots, but it is discomforting that that many people hang on Trump's every word and support this stuff. Way too many mili-boners out there ready to prove how "tough" America is without thinking through the implications, like, at all.

Skepticism is fine, but just saying "to play devil's advocate..." and having no support for that is just spinning tires.

We will not,- repeat, will NOT - use nuclear weapons against North Korea. Such an action against what is regarded as a hostage population would be condemned worldwide. Congress would condemn it and Trump's presidency would be, for all intents & purposes, over at that point. Both sides of the aisle would be hostile toward him and he does not have enough political clout to overcome that kind of opposition.

A president can not unilaterally order a nuclear strike. The Secretary of Defense has to sign off on such an order, and Jim Mattis is not the kind of person to rashly jump into such a conflict. He's already been a key figure in one botched military escapade (the Yemen strike) and he's not likely to make such a mistake again. Read up on what kind of man Mattis is.

After that nuclear strike - then what? If we don't eliminate North Korea's military in the first few minutes, they're going to retaliate. Seoul, with a population of millions, is within range of North Korean artillery. Without an evacuation, tens of thousands of civilians will die via North Korean counterstrikes. Past that, America & South Korea would have to enter North Korea and mop up what's left of the country - but there's China to deal with, and the Chinese do not want an American puppet on their flank. That's why North Korea exists at all. With under 50,000 US troops on the Korean peninsula, and with millions of Chinese just across the North Korea/China border, we'd lost that battle in days.

Here's NPR's analysis on why we aren't going to war. The last few lines echo other things I've read: The canary in the coal mine will be the evacuation of US citizens from South Korea. That hasn't even been hinted at yet.

You are assuming that I'm saying the US would strike first, but I said, "Suppose the US thinks that any engagement with NK is likely to result in using nukes against NK either because NK is likely to use nukes first". If NK strikes first, then what? Do you think the US won't shoot back? And do you think it's better for more US forces to be in the vicinity?

Just because the US isn't preparing to invade NK doesn't mean the US isn't ready for NK to strike. All I'm arguing is that there's a plausible strategy that doesn't involve Trump lying in his tweet, so people shouldn't jump to that conclusion but should instead also consider what it means if he's telling the truth.

Trump has not earned the benefit of the doubt.

If there's a choice between 1) Is Trump telling the truth, or 2) Is Trump saying something that is untrue but benefits him in some way, you ALWAYS choose #2.

I agree with that although I don't think I'm giving the benefit of the doubt as my version of what Trump's saying heavily implies nuclear retaliation. Either way Trump is treading in very dangerous waters.

• Fire 1

*snip* This kind of stuff whips up the base and distracts them from the Russia investigation, but it makes Trump and the US look as foolish in the eyes of the world as Saddam looked with his "mother of all battles" nonsense before the Gulf War. *snip*

The fact that this tweet has near 150K likes by the end of the day tells us everything we need to know.

I don't know how many of those are bots, but it is discomforting that that many people hang on Trump's every word and support this stuff. Way too many mili-boners out there ready to prove how "tough" America is without thinking through the implications, like, at all.

I wonder if those 150k likes are willing to stand at the DMZ with our soldiers at the time Trump hits the red button?? :dunno

So....let me just clarify something here.

Trump is wanting to take military action if Kim Jong Un doesn't get rid of his nuclear weapons right?

So....if Un doesn't do anything more but doesn't get rid of them......he's wanting to send in troops. Correct?

I don't think Trump has the same plan from minute to minute, so who knows where he stands. But I very much doubt we send in troops. If we do, I think it'll be the first time two nuclear powers have engaged in war.

So besides NK we got another member of the 'axis of evil' moving ships into the Atlantic - So we got Fat Boy to the left and Crazy Beards to the right and we are 'stuck in the middle with Trump' to navigate us through these foreign affair issues.

How does that make you feel? :o

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/iran-sending-warships-atlantic-ocean-amid-massive-new-military-buildup/

My wife and I just took the quiz together. I knew a couple of the Trump Tweets for sure but there were several that I wasn't sure of so I read them aloud to my wife. She gave Kim credit for the better vocabulary responses and the "short and simple" responses to Trump. She went 4/4....

In what is perhaps the least shocking news of the day:

North Korea backs off Guam missile threat: report

North Korea is backing off a threat to fire missiles at the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam, according to a new report.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he had decided not to launch an attack, but warned he could change his mind.

“If the Yankees persist in their extremely dangerous reckless actions on the Korean Peninsula and in its vicinity, testing the restraint of the DPRK [North Korea], the [North] will make an important decision as it already declared,” Kim said according to the country’s state media, as reported by The Wall Street Journal.

The statement could help reduce tensions in the region.

There will be people who claim victory for Trump and how amazingly he stared down the evil leader of DPRK.

However, let's not forget that Trump's goal is for Un to completely give up his nuclear weapons. So, one of two things are going to happen.

1) Trump all of a sudden forgets about his bold statements about this. (In other words, nothing would have changed from before Trump took office but he gets to puff his chest out as some great military leader)

2) He still caries through with trying to make Un get rid of his weapons. (Very possibly disaster.)