Jeriah Horne

As someone who wanted Miles dismissed, Horne transferring is a big 'meh'. It's the new norm in college basketball. We lose a couple each year and gain a couple each year.

Horne admitted little playing time was because of substandard practice habits.

Where is this? Haven't seen it.

Check some articles out, it's there.

Like I said, I can't find it. So if you've seen it I'd appreciate you pointing me to them so I could read about it.

I searched for it as well bc I hadn't read anything about it either but I did find it here:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/jeriah-horne-announces-decision-to-transfer-tim-miles-disappointed-but/article_82f95746-09ad-11e7-85de-2bfffdad32ae.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

But Horne also went through extended periods with little playing time, which he acknowledged occurred because of his substandard practice habits.

CHA CHING

Hate to see Horne go, but understand from his perspective.

Seems like he had the shortest leash (after a defensive lapse) than almost anyone.

I thought he was tougher on the boards than many give him credit for,

BUT MAINLY feel he was one of our best potential options for being a pure shooter.

(I understand his season stats didn't eventually reflect that, but it seemed his mechanics were fundamentally strong).

Would really have liked to see him get more than sporatic opportunities.

Horne admitted little playing time was because of substandard practice habits.

Where is this? Haven't seen it.

Check some articles out, it's there.

Like I said, I can't find it. So if you've seen it I'd appreciate you pointing me to them so I could read about it.

I searched for it as well bc I hadn't read anything about it either but I did find it here:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/jeriah-horne-announces-decision-to-transfer-tim-miles-disappointed-but/article_82f95746-09ad-11e7-85de-2bfffdad32ae.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

But Horne also went through extended periods with little playing time, which he acknowledged occurred because of his substandard practice habits.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that. Would like to have seen the actual quote.

I wouldn't have given up on a true freshman and his lack of defense.

What should Miles have done differently?

Obviously I can't speak for what went on in practice or in meetings. I can only speak on what I witnessed on the court. Some players are offensive minded. Some are defensive. Some can do both.

Horne was obviously an offensive minded player. And a threat to score when he was on the court. But Miles kept pulling him and reducing minutes for "lack of defense." No one on the team played consistent defense every game.

We had stretches of games where we wouldn't score for 5,6,7 minutes or more. And Horne, who was pretty good at stretching the defense, was left on the bench.

So What Miles could have done, was continue to use Horne offensively while still working with him to play better defense. Like I said, he was just a freshman. And as we have just seen with Webster, maybe giving up on someone too soon isn't the answer.

Lol... so limiting a guys playing time as a true freshman is giving up on someone?

Because he wasn't good at defense? Yes. There were plenty of guys playing sh**ty defense that wasn't the offensive threat Horne was.

It was more about his effort on defense than his ability to play. I think he seen the writing on the wall. Gill will be back along with Painter & Copeland.

Gill the guy who was abysmal at shooting and scoring before he was hurt?

Copeland the guy who just had back surgery?

And who is Painter?

That doesn't appear to me to be what i would hang my hat on just yet.

No one is hanging their hat on these guys, however it seems reasonable that there is something in those 3 that can replace where Horne was going with this program. Any time you recruit 6 or 7 guys (in a two year span) that are all about equal the one or two that get the least minutes are going to be flight risk. Don't think anybody on this board is glad he left, however can't see how it is worth getting overly excited about unless you are looking for a reason to go Miles hunting.

I guess the question now is...why is Miles recruiting guys that don't want to work hard?

Intereview process for any incoming potential recruit:

Coach Miles: You seem like a nice kid, are you willing to work hard?

Prospect: No i just want playing time because i'm a top 150 player.

Coach Miles: That sounds fair - how many minutes do you need to be happy?

• Fire 1

I guess the question now is...why is Miles recruiting guys that don't want to work hard?

Intereview process for any incoming potential recruit:

Coach Miles: You seem like a nice kid, are you willing to work hard?

Prospect: No i just want playing time because i'm a top 150 player.

Coach Miles: That sounds fair - how many minutes do you need to be happy?

Dude...scholarships are gold...you treat them as gold. You do your research and HW on every recruit and you find out all those things to try and eliminate this from happening.

• Fire 1

In all seriousness the fact that Horne didn't get more minutes and had a much stricter leash than McVeigh is a travesty. McVeigh is a defensive liability and during various game threads I repeatedly pointed this out.

I also would've rather had Horne at the 3 than any minutes from Evan Taylor at the 3. Taylor brings NOTHING offensively that scares anyone. Driving midrange pull up from the elbow. Thats it. Horne had a much higher ceiling than both these kids. You can't use "youth" as an excuse when you're playing the wrong guys. Best of luck to Jeriah.

• Fire 1

And MattyIce hits the nail on the head....

Horne admitted little playing time was because of substandard practice habits. I give Miles kudos for not handing out playing time to kids who aren't working hard. Lord knows Fuller was busting his ass and rarely played.

So, whose job is it to motivate the kid to practice harder?

Quite honestly.....once you are on a Div 1 basketball roster, if you don't have the motivation to work your holy ass off then that falls back on you. Even though the end results are not what anyone expected, there were kids busting their butts on the court to get results. Horne was man enough to admit he wasn't one of them.

Again...nothing alarming here.

Believe it or not, Tom Osborne even had players who didn't decide to bust their asses in practice and they didn't have success on the field.

I don't disagree; if you don't have that work ethic at this level, you aren't going to be successful.

What I wonder about is how effective of a motivator Miles really is. Even though it's almost the status quo nowadays, there has been more than enough attrition from both the roster and staff to warrant that.

Would you think he might've motivated Tai Webster to go from a joke to a B1G 2nd Teamer?

Guy plays a TON of basketball, on the international level. It's not inconceivable to think he maybe got better due to his own devices, is it?

• Fire 1

Horne admitted little playing time was because of substandard practice habits. I give Miles kudos for not handing out playing time to kids who aren't working hard. Lord knows Fuller was busting his ass and rarely played.

Quite honestly.....once you are on a Div 1 basketball roster, if you don't have the motivation to work your holy ass off then that falls back on you. Even though the end results are not what anyone expected, there were kids busting their butts on the court to get results. Horne was man enough to admit he wasn't one of them.

Believe it or not, Tom Osborne even had players who didn't decide to bust their asses in practice and they didn't have success on the field.

I don't disagree; if you don't have that work ethic at this level, you aren't going to be successful.

What I wonder about is how effective of a motivator Miles really is. Even though it's almost the status quo nowadays, there has been more than enough attrition from both the roster and staff to warrant that.

Would you think he might've motivated Tai Webster to go from a joke to a B1G 2nd Teamer?

He probably had some impact but I would venture to say it was more from Webster playing international summer ball. Aside from Tshimanga, who really had nowhere to go but up, would you say anyone else on the team was better by the end of the season?

LOL WOW. Talk about completely unwilling to give Miles any credit. So he gets minimal credit, but summer ball gets the majority of it? You gotta be kidding right?

Others this year?

Hell, Roby was on the up and up until he hurt his ankle.

Morrow started off pretty strong until got injured.

Watson started off at a SUPERSTAR level and slowed after his injury as well and couldn't get kick started after he was healthy.

Jacobson? Major improvements offensively and on the boards. His mid-range game picked up quite a bit actually.

McVeigh actually became a sniper from downtown, whereas he was not the year before. (perception wise at least)

Evan Taylor, a guy who has barely been here, even improved a ton. First game of the year, I didn't even trust him on the court. He missed major free-throws frequently. Towards the end of the year, he was as consistent of a player as we ha on the team.

You're overvaluing some of the talent on this team; if everything you said was true, Nebraska wouldn't have gone 12-19. Watson I'll give you, even if he is a walking heat-check, but Jack McVeigh a sniper? Roby on the "up and up"? Jacobson scoring marginally went up, and he became a better rebounder, but his turnovers went up, shooting % went down, and he shoots under 40% as a 4/5 (not to mention he has no post game to speak of).

• Fire 1

In all seriousness the fact that Horne didn't get more minutes and had a much stricter leash than McVeigh is a travesty. McVeigh is a defensive liability and during various game threads I repeatedly pointed this out.

I also would've rather had Horne at the 3 than any minutes from Evan Taylor at the 3. Taylor brings NOTHING offensively that scares anyone. Driving midrange pull up from the elbow. Thats it. Horne had a much higher ceiling than both these kids. You can't use "youth" as an excuse when you're playing the wrong guys. Best of luck to Jeriah.

Yeah, it's crazy to think that a guy (McVeigh), who has been there longer and works harder (2 sources now), plays more than Horne. Also add in the fact that McVeigh actually shot well this year....

Such a travesty.

He probably had some impact but I would venture to say it was more from Webster playing international summer ball. Aside from Tshimanga, who really had nowhere to go but up, would you say anyone else on the team was better by the end of the season?

LOL WOW. Talk about completely unwilling to give Miles any credit. So he gets minimal credit, but summer ball gets the majority of it? You gotta be kidding right?

Others this year?

Hell, Roby was on the up and up until he hurt his ankle.

Morrow started off pretty strong until got injured.

Watson started off at a SUPERSTAR level and slowed after his injury as well and couldn't get kick started after he was healthy.

Jacobson? Major improvements offensively and on the boards. His mid-range game picked up quite a bit actually.

McVeigh actually became a sniper from downtown, whereas he was not the year before. (perception wise at least)

Evan Taylor, a guy who has barely been here, even improved a ton. First game of the year, I didn't even trust him on the court. He missed major free-throws frequently. Towards the end of the year, he was as consistent of a player as we ha on the team.

You're overvaluing some of the talent on this team; if everything you said was true, Nebraska wouldn't have gone 12-19. Watson I'll give you, even if he is a walking heat-check, but Jack McVeigh a sniper? Roby on the "up and up"? Jacobson scoring marginally went up, and he became a better rebounder, but his turnovers went up, shooting % went down, and he shoots under 40% as a 4/5 (not to mention he has no post game to speak of).

I'll admit I'm exaggerating a bit with some guys, but what do you expect when I'm the only person defending the coaching staff and players?

McVeigh shot well from DT after his early season benching.

I posted this in the Daum thread but based off of this I don't know that I would classify anyone on this team as a "sniper"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McVeigh, Jack: 71-192 (37%) from the field, 45-135 (33.3%) from 3

Horne, Jeriah: 46-112 (41.1%) from the field, 21-63 (33.3%) from 3

Roby, Isaiah: 37-91 (40.7%) from the field, 4-19 (21.1%) from 3

Gill, Anton: 16-59 (27.1%) from the field, 8-29 (27.6%) from 3

Taylor, Evan: 58-144 (40.3%) from the field, 4-22 (18.2%) from 3

Jacobson, Michael: 70-178 (39.3%) from the field, 4-23 (17.4%) from 3

http://www.huskers.c...ID=100#TEAM.OCF

There is no doubt that offensively, Nebraska is about as effective as a sack of pubic hair laying at midcourt. I mean the fact that our starting Power Forward shoots 39.3% from the floor should probably tell you everything you need to know about how terrible Nebraska is at scoring the basketball.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazes me we let Evan Taylor even sniff the floor shooting that poorly from 3 as a 2 guard.

• Fire 3
  • seaofred92 changed the title to Jeriah Horne