DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

Trump hires Rudy - not the little squirt from the movie - the other little squirt.   They hope to end the investigation in

a week or two.  The senate better protect Mueller fast.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/19/rudy-giuliani-may-be-joining-trumps-legal-team/

Rudy Giuliani said Thursday that he will join President Trump’s legal team and hopes to bring an end to the special counsel’s investigation into Russian election meddling in “a week or two.”

“I’m going to join the legal team to try to bring this to a resolution,” Giuliani told The Post.

“The country deserves it. I’ve got great admiration for President Trump.

“I’ve had a long relationship with Bob Mueller. I have great respect for him. He’s done a good job.”

Giuliani, a former US Attorney, served as New York City’s mayor when Mueller was the FBI director.

“I don’t know yet what’s outstanding. But I don’t think it’s going to take more than a week or two to get a resolution. They’re almost there.

“I’m going to ask Mueller, ‘What do you need to wrap it up?’” he said.

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Trump hires Rudy - not the little squirt from the movie - the other little squirt.   They hope to end the investigation in

a week or two.  The senate better protect Mueller fast.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/19/rudy-giuliani-may-be-joining-trumps-legal-team/

water gate took 3 years.  the clintons were investigated for the last 20 years or so  i think.   but trump NEEDS to shutdown this investigation NOW!!!!  i wonder what the threat is to him if it continues without interference?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe this is a horrible move by the Democratic Party.  This does nothing but make any investigation look more partisan.  This lawsuit should happen (if ever) after the investigation is done and evidence was presented that shows this happened.

I agree. I think this is idiotic. Let the investigations play out and at the very least wait until the midterms are over so you don't lose votes.

• Plus1 2

I think it's a fantastic move. Dems or liberals are often accused of having all the aggression of a limp noodle or a wet paper bag. The running joke is that they think they'll beat Republicans with their own words while Republicans are busy just slapping them around.

I applaud this move away from that dynamic. Dems come off as milquetoast a lot of the time, but they have ton of lawyerly types in the party. About time they put them to good use.

An interesting point somebody made on Reddit: If Trump pardons someone, that is an admission of guilt that is admissible in civil court. Meaning that person would be vulnerable to this lawsuit and discovery therein that could compel a lot of additional evidence. 

The argument is that Russia's hack of DNC emails constitutes trespassing on their property and thus Russia should be held financially liable. I personally agree with that take.

I'm personally tired of watching Trump cronies and family members (namely Don Jr. and Jared) walk around acting like they did nothing wrong or will face no repercussions. Bring on the repercussions.

• Plus1 3

Come on, man. This is a little too on the nose.

This guy was a fundraiser for Trump's campaign, vice chair of his inaugural committee and most recently deputy finance chair at the RNC. Pretty well plugged in. He's the dude that just resigned because it came out Cohen had negotiated a $1.6M hush payment to a women with whom he had had an affair and undergone an abortion.

Baev was introduced to Broidy in October 2016, before Trump was elected. At the time, Broidy was serving as a top fundraiser for the Trump campaign; he would later become vice chair of Trump’s inaugural committee before transitioning to his most recent position at the RNC.

Broidy began sharing drafts of his lobbying plan with Baev by December. That month, he also sent Baev a Wall Street Journal article headlined “France Poised for Pro-Russia Pivot.”

The article describes how François Fillon and Marine Le Pen, the center-right and far-right candidates, respectively, during the 2017 French presidential election, both opposed punitive sanctions levied by French President François Hollande against Russia for its activity in eastern Ukraine. “With U.S. President-elect Donald Trump also promising friendlier relations with Moscow, Western agreement on sanctions against Russia could crumble,” the article says. Fillon and Le Pen were eventually defeated by France’s current president, Emmanuel Macron.

As the discussions continued, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and others began pushing legislation that would take the decision on whether to lift sanctions out of Trump’s hands and put Congress in control, a development that Novatek apparently recognized as a threat given that Broidy’s power to affect policy lay in his presumed influence with Trump.

In January 2017, Baev wrote to Broidy asking whether McCain’s bill would put their efforts at risk. “The client is asking how our road map would be affected by a new bill sponsored by Senator McCain to codify the existing sanctions and to impose new ones as a matter of federal law which the Administration will not be in a position to lift without consent of the US Congress. What are your thoughts on this?”

Broidy responded: “We need to convince McCain to abandon or water down the bill while we push the admin and other members of Senate to water down and vote no. Not a game changer."

In a proposal dated February 23, 2017, Broidy told Baev that he had found “many influential experts, lobbyists, and attorneys” who were “willing and able to work immediately on your behalf and on behalf of Novatek.” The document, marked “strictly-confidential, attorney client privilege,” lays out a plan for a two-year influence campaign that Broidy claimed could dilute McCain’s bill and lift sanctions by February 2019.

The plan outlines a 25-step “Roadmap” that includes getting buy-in from congressional Foreign Relations committees, as well as outreach to the White House, the Treasury, and the Commerce, State, and Justice departments.

It also lists “issues for Congress” that would have to be overcome in order to implement the plan, including progress on agreements to resolve the situation in Ukraine. Congress would also “need information as to whether Russia did indeed hack DNC and attempt to influence US Presidential election,” according to the document.

He was ready and willing to help get this Russian gas company off the sanctions list for $26M, until his lawyer told him he'd have to register as a lobbyist. Then he backed out.

This part is interesting, though:

Broidy has worked to funnel money into the U.S. political system for others, however. Last month, the Associated Press reported that Broidy received millions of dollars from George Nadar, a witness in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation and a close confidant of Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed. AP reported that Broidy received that money weeks before he made personal donations to congressional campaigns in an effort to shape a bill critical of Qatar, which the United Arab Emirates is currently blockading. The New York Times also reported that Broidy was reimbursed by Nadar after he funded an October conference that was highly critical of Qatar, which was confirmed by documents obtained by The Intercept. The UAE has contracts with a private security company Broidy owns that are worth “hundreds of millions of dollars,” according to the Times.

Broidy has blamed Qatar for the hack and disclosure of his emails. His attorney wrote a public letter to the Qatari ambassador to the U.S. blaming the Gulf nation for spreading “false and stolen information about him,” and claiming that Broidy had “irrefutable forensic evidence tying Qatar to this unlawful attack.” Broidy has since filed a lawsuit seeking damages from the Qatari government.

The Qatari Embassy did not respond to The Intercept’s requests for comment. The documents were provided to The Intercept anonymously.

The bolded dude is cooperating with Mueller as he examines whether or not foreign entities have peddled influence within the Trump administration. Clearly this Broidy guy facilitated that with the payments. He was going to cash in on working against U.S. interests by lobbying against bills like McCain's to make sure Russia was punished and Trump couldn't do anything about it... WHILE he worked for Trump or the RNC.

Pretty nuts.

• Plus1 2
On 4/20/2018 at 2:53 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

I think it's a fantastic move. Dems or liberals are often accused of having all the aggression of a limp noodle or a wet paper bag. The running joke is that they think they'll beat Republicans with their own words while Republicans are busy just slapping them around.

I applaud this move away from that dynamic. Dems come off as milquetoast a lot of the time, but they have ton of lawyerly types in the party. About time they put them to good use.

An interesting point somebody made on Reddit: If Trump pardons someone, that is an admission of guilt that is admissible in civil court. Meaning that person would be vulnerable to this lawsuit and discovery therein that could compel a lot of additional evidence. 

The argument is that Russia's hack of DNC emails constitutes trespassing on their property and thus Russia should be held financially liable. I personally agree with that take.

I'm personally tired of watching Trump cronies and family members (namely Don Jr. and Jared) walk around acting like they did nothing wrong or will face no repercussions. Bring on the repercussions.

Won't it be great when he pardons his family, and then the civil suit goes forward - they lose and end up either going bankrupt with lawyers and payouts OR (more likely) they have to admit they never had the money at all in the first place and can't pay?

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Yet he pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI? 

As most American Patriots do.

I continue to be amazed at how the children of these maniacs are stupid enough to post on twitter.  Just goes to show how desparate they are for their daddy's attention and approval.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Just goes to show how desparate they are for their daddy's attention and approval.

I'm not going to go there because many of us would defend our parents too.  However, it is stupid for them to do it in a public forum like Twitter.

The families of people like this are put in a very difficult situation.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not going to go there because many of us would defend our parents too.  However, it is stupid for them to do it in a public forum like Twitter.

The families of people like this are put in a very difficult situation.

I love my parents, but I am not unaware of their shortcomings.

Some people know how, when, and where to conduct themselves properly and others do not. 

Edit:

I would actually take this a step further as I have grown into adulthood. If you are not keenly aware of the shortcomings of your parents and their personalities, you will impart those same behaviors, unwittingly, unto everyone you meet or raise. People are people, and they all have problems. Know which ones you are prone to.