DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Someone posted Trump is play chutes and ladders but I don't know about that. He still has a lot of people on his side and unfettered access to them, and the GOP, especially the House, has shown they won't act. In fact they are actively trying to stop the investigation. He could end up with no negative consequences after all is said and done, other than going straight to hell.

I meant that as far as legal maneuvering. Mueller is intelligent, calculating, deliberate and experienced. Everything Trump and Rudy obviously aren’t. 

• Plus1 3

22 minutes ago, QMany said:

I meant that as far as legal maneuvering. Mueller is intelligent, calculating, deliberate and experienced. Everything Trump and Rudy obviously aren’t. 

Would you be shocked if Mueller found Trump & his cronies guilty of a number of offenses ranging anywhere from collusion to obstruction to financial crimes & Republicans just  took up Fox News/Trump talking points and refused to impeach him? I wouldn't at all. And I myself doubt Mueller would actually try to indict him.

It's so crucial we flip at least one house of Congress (preferably both so we don't get more Heritage chumps on the Supreme Court) this fall to act as a real check on Trump, or this Congress is just going to keep enabling him & not offering any real oversight.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Would you be shocked if Mueller found Trump & his cronies guilty of a number of offenses ranging anywhere from collusion to obstruction to financial crimes & Republicans just  took up Fox News/Trump talking points and refused to impeach him? I wouldn't at all. And I myself doubt Mueller would actually try to indict him.

It's so crucial we flip at least one house of Congress (preferably both so we don't get more Heritage chumps on the Supreme Court) this fall to act as a real check on Trump, or this Congress is just going to keep enabling him & not offering any real oversight.

Nope, that is exactly what I think is going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, QMany said:

Nope, that is exactly what I think is going to happen. 

Let's toss the bums out. :thumbs

(Except here in Nebraska where we're likely to re-elect the same common-sense conservatives who are fighting for us against liberal big government & give our dollar store Lex Luthor governor another four years.)

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Let's toss the bums out. :thumbs

(Except here in Nebraska where we're likely to re-elect the same common-sense conservatives who are fighting for us against liberal big government & give our dollar store Lex Luthor governor another four years.)

Image result for spit drink out gif

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T and others do this kind of thing all the time.

Tip of the iceberg was mentioned. Money in politics is my #1 issue. It's been obvious for awhile that these giant mega corporations buy policy but it's literally right in our face with the AT&T Cohen example.

And no this is not an "everyone does it" post. For one thing, I doubt everyone gets $ from a foreign government. But I would love it if this started a chain of events that caused some big, real changes, not just for Trump.

Someone posted Trump is play chutes and ladders but I don't know about that. He still has a lot of people on his side and unfettered access to them, and the GOP, especially the House, has shown they won't act. In fact they are actively trying to stop the investigation. He could end up with no negative consequences after all is said and done, other than going straight to hell.

Whoa whoa whoa....let's wait a minute on this....just normal political stuff corporations do.

AT&T specifically paid Cohen for this.  This isn't just some random lawyer who they hired to look into things and advise.  Trump is also involved with Cohen.  

When I hire a lawyer for something, if there is a conflict of interest, they are required to notify me of that and I find another lawyer.  THIS would have been CLEARLY a conflict of interest if Cohen was really just advising them and doing a little lawyer work with Trump.

This is obviously a payoff to Trump through Cohen.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Whoa whoa whoa....let's wait a minute on this....just normal political stuff corporations do.

AT&T specifically paid Cohen for this.  This isn't just some random lawyer who they hired to look into things and advise.  Trump is also involved with Cohen.  

When I hire a lawyer for something, if there is a conflict of interest, they are required to notify me of that and I find another lawyer.  THIS would have been CLEARLY a conflict of interest if Cohen was really just advising them and doing a little lawyer work with Trump.

This is obviously a payoff to Trump through Cohen.

Wait on what? I do think it's normal, and I think it's wrong.

I'm not talking about corporations. I'm talking about mega corporations. And I feel pretty damn sure this kind of thing is not an isolated event. I'm saying it's always wrong, even if it's not illegal. And I'm not talking advice. I'm talking about paying politicians to get policy or a decision that's favorable.

Some of it is done more out in the open with lobbyists but there has to be behind the scenes stuff like this going on when billions of $ are involved. The reason this specific example is coming into light is because of all of the other Trump/Cohen stuff. I think this kind of thing happens all the time and it needs to stop.

The above is all my opinion but I probably can't be convinced that all these congressmen, e.g. Nunes who was making like $45,000 per year, are just making all of the decisions they make because they think it's the right thing to do.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Interesting 

Not the word I would use. If someone's registration was deleted, I'm pretty sure they'd be screwed if they didn't find out until election day.

And our current administration doesn't seem to think we need to defend against it. 

I'd just like to take the time to congratulate myself for my post earlier. I noticed this, on my own, before CNN, without seeing it anywhere else on the news or any websites. That's a first! I even used Wayback machine. All I had was Columbus Nova's statement, which sounded like a big fat lie to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/politics/us-firm-scrubs-website-russian-oligarch/index.html

A US investment firm thrust into the spotlight because of its payment to President Donald Trump's personal lawyer has scrubbed its website, distancing itself from a Russian investment company and its oligarch chairman.

The Russian investment company, Renova Group, is controlled by Russian billionaire Viktor Vekselberg, a close ally of President Vladimir Putin who was placed last month on the US Treasury Department's list of sanctioned individuals and entities for Russian election meddling and other hostile activities.

Columbus Nova included the ties to Renova on its site as recently as last spring, but that information has since been removed. An archived copy of the site -- available on the Wayback Machine, which catalogues previous versions of websites -- links Intrater directly to Renova in his biography.

In filings made with the Securities and Exchange Commission in 2007, Columbus Nova said it was the "US-based affiliate of the Renova Group of companies, one of the largest Russian strategic investors."

• Plus1 2