Huskers to Receive Nearly $1M from NCAA to Benefit Student-Athletes

Nebraska's three Division I schools will receive next month more than $1.5 million combined from an NCAA endowment aimed to benefit student-athletes.

The special one-time distribution comes from a liquidated $200 million quasi-endowment and will be handed out April 19. According to the NCAA, schools may only spend this money on programs and resources that directly benefit the student-athlete and their "academic success, life skills, career success, health and safety and student-athlete focused diversity and inclusion initiatives."

Each Division I school will receive a share based on the number of athletic scholarships it provided during the 2013-14 school year. The bigger the athletic department, the more money a school receives.

That means Nebraska is getting a significantly bigger share compared to the state's other Division I schools — Creighton and UNO.

According to the NCAA's distribution report, Nebraska will receive $914,326 based on the 277.81 athletic scholarships it provided in 2013-14. Though that places the Huskers ninth among the 12 schools in the Big Ten at that time, it's still one of the highest totals in the country. Only 14 other schools nationwide will receive a bigger share than Nebraska.

OWH