High School Newspaper Investigates Newly-Hired Principal; Principal Resigns Days Later

When things like this happen it always makes me wonder how many people lie about their education or just lie on their resumes in general. I think it is really dang close to 100% that stretch the old truth.

I don't think that's right and I hope it's nowhere close to 100%.

I think most people "embellish" a bit making their past duties and experience sound much more impressive than it likely is. But out and out lying, about discoverable facts? I sure hope people and society hasn't devolved to where that is commonplace.

I'm not sure what she did could be labeled as a lie (didn't read the article). Seems maybe she told the truth about where she got her degrees but they just weren't an accredited source. I guess I don't know much about accreditation.... Does that mean she put forth no effort and received no worthwhile education in pursuit of those degrees? I know some people who have gotten MBA's online that seem a little sketchy but they did pay some money and take some tests. Not sure what that means. I have a pretty low opinion of higher education nowadays anyway. Seems like even the accredited places are simply trading money for degrees without imparting much real world usefulness to the student.

I get what you are saying...I see them as one in the same. That is just me though. I see "embellishing" the same as lying.

This is not me taking some moral high ground...I "embellish" (lie) on mine...I just think it is the same exact thing.

I don't lie about degrees because I actually have to submit my transcripts. I wish I didn't!

Well, I suppose, if you're going count rounding 9 years 11 months up and calling it 10 years as a lie or your 3.79 GPA as a 3.8.....

I'd do it just so they wouldn't think I was some anal retentive nutjob. IMO, that's not a lie as it really has no bearing on your qualifications for the job.

When things like this happen it always makes me wonder how many people lie about their education or just lie on their resumes in general. I think it is really dang close to 100% that stretch the old truth.

I don't think that's right and I hope it's nowhere close to 100%.

I think most people "embellish" a bit making their past duties and experience sound much more impressive than it likely is. But out and out lying, about discoverable facts? I sure hope people and society hasn't devolved to where that is commonplace.

I'm not sure what she did could be labeled as a lie (didn't read the article). Seems maybe she told the truth about where she got her degrees but they just weren't an accredited source. I guess I don't know much about accreditation.... Does that mean she put forth no effort and received no worthwhile education in pursuit of those degrees? I know some people who have gotten MBA's online that seem a little sketchy but they did pay some money and take some tests. Not sure what that means. I have a pretty low opinion of higher education nowadays anyway. Seems like even the accredited places are simply trading money for degrees without imparting much real world usefulness to the student.

I get what you are saying...I see them as one in the same. That is just me though. I see "embellishing" the same as lying.

This is not me taking some moral high ground...I "embellish" (lie) on mine...I just think it is the same exact thing.

I don't lie about degrees because I actually have to submit my transcripts. I wish I didn't!

Well, I suppose, if you're going count rounding 9 years 11 months up and calling it 10 years as a lie or your 3.79 GPA as a 3.8.....

I'd do it just so they wouldn't think I was some anal retentive nutjob. IMO, that's not a lie as it really has no bearing on your qualifications for the job.

I totally get your point. But just for an example...say a job says "minimum 5 years experience" and you have 4 years and 7 months...so you round up. Right? I would. But clearly that is a lie and might actually get you the job and cost another person with say, 6 years experience, from getting it.

Trust me, I am 100% on your side with this. I think you answered it perfectly. It just drives me crazy when people pretend like most people don't lie or embellish or stretch the truth on their resumes.

I just call it all lying and I gladly lie on mine. For instance. I do this extra summer school teaching for a new program. I was the first one they hired and I basically get to do what I want.

Well...on my resume and cover letter I am sure to explain how I "developed and implemented the curriculum" for the program.

You want to know what I do for the class? We read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and discuss it and mix in some reading comprehension questions.

Safe to say that I lied/embellished :)

I think you're grossly overestimating how many people lie or embellish. It's never even occurred to me to do that. But whether people lie or embellish on their resumes is probably related to what field they're in and how many applicants the jobs have.

Same with me Moraine.

I don't disagree that it's done - my problem is that you are stating "MOST" do it. Simply not the case. "Many"? Perhaps.

I think you're grossly overestimating how many people lie or embellish. It's never even occurred to me to do that. But whether people lie or embellish on their resumes is probably related to what field they're in and how many applicants the jobs have.

Same with me Moraine.

I don't disagree that it's done - my problem is that you are stating "MOST" do it. Simply not the case. "Many"? Perhaps.

There is a wonderful Brady Bunch episode that basically covers this. :)