United Airlines PR Disaster

I may be in the minority I believe both parties are at fault.

United shouldn't have overbooked and allowed the passengers to board the plane and should've upped the $800 amount to $1,000 or more.

The doctor is at fault for not getting up and removing himself after been informed several times that he was going to be removed. The doctor has a shady past and as seen in the above video had plans to sue the airline before the confrontation. He resisted which lead to him meeting the armrest face first and then he has the audacity to run back onto the plane after being removed. And lastly who would rather go to jail than just remove yourself from the plane? Obviously this guy does as he said so

I'll join your minority on this one. United was definitely in the wrong but this guy had plenty of opportunity to prevent the physical altercation which is what everyone seems to be upset about.

Regardless, no paying customer, no matter the disagreement deserves to lose teeth, get a concussion and a broken nose.

He may not have acted as copacetic as one would like to think we all would in that situation, but nothing in the multiple videos captured of the moments leading up to the removal, during or after suggest that he was behaving in a way that deserved such force.

And the fact that anyone is speaking about his past is ridiculous. Everyday you're surrounded by people who have done bad things. Some illegal things, some disgusting things. It wouldn't make an assault on those people acceptable. Period.

• Fire 1

And you know what, I say it's fair to present pertinent background on the guy - like was he in the bar screaming before boarding? Did he push his way to his seat? Did he punch a baby in the airplane? All pertinent to this situation. A charge/conviction he had years ago, no matter the specifics doesn't matter here (unless he was charged with being a customer on an airplane and was then physically dragged out of his chair, knocked unconscious and etc)

Completely agree. Only germane information should be presented. Simply stating he had a troubled history or previous issues with police, issues that have no logical nexus between the plane incident, should not be reported.

The doctor having a shady past has nothing to do with this situation

True but it does give us a glimpse of who he is. Still they gave him several opportunities to leave. Another example where people lack respect
never disagreed with that. If you don't want trouble don't make it for yourself, but the fact his past was brought up in all of this is poor journalism and lazy thinking. If there was a correlation(he was doing similar things) then I understand. But the plane ordeal and his shady dealings in the past have zero connection

It certainly shouldn't be viewed as a glimpse of who he is. We have zero bearing of that situation or what he has done since to improve himself as a person. It is used to frame him as a shady person making it ok for United to do this. That's wrong. He wasn't wrong to be upset, United wasn't wrong to forcibly remove him. But using his past to frame the story is wrong

• Fire 1

I believe that it states on your ticket/boarding pass as well as through out the airline that you maybe be bumped from a flight.

Yes it sucks that he lost two teeth, suffered a concussion and a broken nose but he could've avoided the confrontation. It's his fault and he was warned on more than one occasion on what was going to happen if he didn't remove himself.

• Fire 1

I believe that it states on your ticket/boarding pass as well as through out the airline that you maybe be bumped from a flight.

Yes it sucks that he lost two teeth, suffered a concussion and a broken nose but he could've avoided the confrontation. It's his fault and he was warned on more than one occasion on what was going to happen if he didn't remove himself.

The boarding pass says they will physically assault you?

United overbooking the flight is his fault?

They warned him that he'd lose two teeth, get a concussion and break his nose?

• Fire 3

The boarding pass says they will physically assault you?

United overbooking the flight is his fault?

They warned him that he'd lose two teeth, get a concussion and break his nose?

Again listen and don't resist.....pretty basic common sense.

It's not like they were leaving him out to dry. They did offer to give him $800 , a free hotel stay and a free flight back home the next day all of which I would've took.

Also please re-read my first post on this subject where I stated that United was at fault too

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/04/11/the_united_scandal_should_remind_dems_that_consumer_protection_should_be.html

I think this is an important message, and not just as a matter of political strategy.

One party is utterly devoted to eviscerating consumer protections. It's not just that there is space to be filled here, but we need advocates for it. It has to be a priority. And it's a good way to build consensus where it's lacking in other areas -- even on social issues that are at least for me near and dear.

I'm too lazy to research but does anyone know what the protocol for getting bumped is? Like how do they determine who is more important than someone else to be on the flight?

In the United/Doc case, a computer was the one who picked out the 4 passengers.

I don't know the protocol but I would assume when you bought the ticket, if you're alone, frequent flyer with that airline, etc played in who got the boot or not.

I'm too lazy to research but does anyone know what the protocol for getting bumped is? Like how do they determine who is more important than someone else to be on the flight?

In the United/Doc case, a computer was the one who picked out the 4 passengers.

I don't know the protocol but I would assume when you bought the ticket, if you're alone, frequent flyer with that airline, etc played in who got the boot or not.

I thought I saw somewhere that their computer selects the lowest paid fares to be bumped first.