Final Thoughts on Transfers

I'm tired of rolling through all the Hate-Miles posts in each thread, so I'm just going to address it all in a new thread.

This is starting to get the feeling of Bo's final year at Nebraska. Hate and malcontent from every which direction you look. Obviously the circumstances are quite different, but from my viewpoint, the fan angst is nearly identical.

Where did it go wrong?

Well, losing of course. Miles hasn't won. Well, Nebraska has never won to be exact. That's not to say it's okay that Miles has been below average, but it is a measuring stick for the entire program as a whole. Expectations finally existed after Miles was hired, new arena and a NCAA tournament berth. Good on Miles. Unfortunately for Miles those expecations rose, after those 3 things happened, and he hasn't measured up since.

It's on him. He hasn't been able to recruit "team first" guys. He hasn't been able to recruit legitimate depth at the 5 nor has he been able to recruit a true stretch 4. Those are his biggest shortcomings. If he hits on a couple of those guys, every other problem that fans and beat writers are discussing, haven't even occurred.

The guys he has landed, have been highly touted recruits. We have all seen the numbers, basically, the best collection of talented (by the stars), Nebrasketball has ever had. Did it work? Obviously not.

Miles can coach. He proved it in 2013-14. I know, 1 season. In that year though, he was able to get supreme buy-in from transfer players. Keep that thought in mind as my piece winds down.

Miles biggest selling point? Tai Webster.

He needs to be selling 1 man. TW. His only recruit at Nebraska to have played his entire career under him thus far. Talent development has been brought to question many times around these parts. But, who better to judge than the only player that has been under Miles for 4 years? How about that? Toss on the HS film of Mr. Webster. "Well son, what do you think of this guy?" Then toss on his tape of his senior season. "Well, this is who we helped turn him into at Nebraska."

Out of Position?

Most of us have heard allllll about Miles inability to play guys at their actual positions. Why do you believe it? From rumors and comments from player's themselves, the starting lineup (sans transfers), would've looked a lot like this in 2017-18 if players had their way: 5: Tshimanga 4: Jacobsen/Roby 3: Morrow 2: Taylor 1: Watson.

WOOF. What's the plus/minus of that lineup in the game? That's literally what a few players self-evaluation was. You can be mad at Miles all you want, and you can blame him for losing "good" players that led Nebraska to 12-19, but at the end of the day, can you really blame the man for not allowing kids to play "OUT OF POSITION?"

The Future, if Miles has one.

Glynn Watson's further development in year 3, is Plan A.

- Watson has shown flashes of being a primetime B1G scorer. Can he take another step?

Nana Akenten is going to be an integral part of Nebrasketball going forward. He absolutely HAS to be one of those Freshmen to make Miles some hay.

J-O-R-D-Y. If he is the big man Miles believes he can be, there is a chance.

The Transfers. This a startling good group of transfers Miles has assembled. If he can get that buy-in from 2013-14, then this team has a chance to be outstanding.

The remaining 4. Miles absolutely has to get a couple big guys. He has to find a way to fill the void left by Morrow/Jacobsen. It is obviously under heavy scrutiny what type of void that is, but they both provided value on the glass, without a question. Miles would be best served to find some shooters as well with his remaining open spots. If I'm Miles, i'm not taking guys that can't play until 2018-2019, for obvious reasons. He needs guys that can play tomorrow.

Like him or hate him, you have to respect the decision Nebraska made to keep Coach Miles for the following season. If you don't, you're part of the reason we will fail, if we fail.

Are you saying that if we would have cheered harder for Bo that he would still be here and winning 10-12 games a year?

Didn't intend to make this about Bo at all. Just getting the same feeling from the fan base. It's disgusting.

The fan base is wanting results. I don't think that's such a bad thing to ask for.

He gave results once... That's more than you can say for most of the rest of the entire history of Nebrasketball

You can't use the "history of Nebrsaketball" as an excuse. Yeah, Miles rattled off a great month and made it to the tournament, but he also has the worst record of any NU basketball coach in history (at least in the last 60 years).

To me, that month in 2013 is the outlier here.

• Fire 3

As much as I like Miles and want him to succeed, numbers just don't lie. The fact that he has the worst winning percentage out of all Nebraska coaches really nails home how bad things are. There's this perception of how great of talent he brings in and all the success he's had in the past. All that sounds great but when you just aren't getting the wins things need to change. Hopefully the tide will turn next year, but the odds aren't looking good.

Just for fun I looked up the odds of Nebraska winning the NCAA tourney next year. +25000 LOL

Okay. So you're right.

BUT. Miles didn't get fired. He is our coach for 1 more year. We have to come to terms with it and if your way of "coming to terms" is pointing fingers and hoping for the worst, you're part of the problem not the solution.

I'm tired of rolling through all the Hate-Miles posts in each thread, so I'm just going to address it all in a new thread.

This is starting to get the feeling of Bo's final year at Nebraska. Hate and malcontent from every which direction you look. Obviously the circumstances are quite different, but from my viewpoint, the fan angst is nearly identical.

Where did it go wrong?

Well, losing of course. Miles hasn't won. Well, Nebraska has never won to be exact. That's not to say it's okay that Miles has been below average, but it is a measuring stick for the entire program as a whole. Expectations finally existed after Miles was hired, new arena and a NCAA tournament berth. Good on Miles. Unfortunately for Miles those expecations rose, after those 3 things happened, and he hasn't measured up since.

It's on him. He hasn't been able to recruit "team first" guys. He hasn't been able to recruit legitimate depth at the 5 nor has he been able to recruit a true stretch 4. Those are his biggest shortcomings. If he hits on a couple of those guys, every other problem that fans and beat writers are discussing, haven't even occurred.

The guys he has landed, have been highly touted recruits. We have all seen the numbers, basically, the best collection of talented (by the stars), Nebrasketball has ever had. Did it work? Obviously not.

Miles can coach. He proved it in 2013-14. I know, 1 season. In that year though, he was able to get supreme buy-in from transfer players. Keep that thought in mind as my piece winds down.

He needs to be selling 1 man. TW. His only recruit at Nebraska to have played his entire career under him thus far. Talent development has been brought to question many times around these parts. But, who better to judge than the only player that has been under Miles for 4 years? How about that? Toss on the HS film of Mr. Webster. "Well son, what do you think of this guy?" Then toss on his tape of his senior season. "Well, this is who we helped turn him into at Nebraska."

Out of Position?

Most of us have heard allllll about Miles inability to play guys at their actual positions. Why do you believe it? From rumors and comments from player's themselves, the starting lineup (sans transfers), would've looked a lot like this in 2017-18 if players had their way: 5: Tshimanga 4: Jacobsen/Roby 3: Morrow 2: Taylor 1: Watson.

WOOF. What's the plus/minus of that lineup in the game? That's literally what a few players self-evaluation was. You can be mad at Miles all you want, and you can blame him for losing "good" players that led Nebraska to 12-19, but at the end of the day, can you really blame the man for not allowing kids to play "OUT OF POSITION?"

- Watson has shown flashes of being a primetime B1G scorer. Can he take another step?

Nana Akenten is going to be an integral part of Nebrasketball going forward. He absolutely HAS to be one of those Freshmen to make Miles some hay.

The Transfers. This a startling good group of transfers Miles has assembled. If he can get that buy-in from 2013-14, then this team has a chance to be outstanding.

The remaining 4. Miles absolutely has to get a couple big guys. He has to find a way to fill the void left by Morrow/Jacobsen. It is obviously under heavy scrutiny what type of void that is, but they both provided value on the glass, without a question. Miles would be best served to find some shooters as well with his remaining open spots. If I'm Miles, i'm not taking guys that can't play until 2018-2019, for obvious reasons. He needs guys that can play tomorrow.

Like him or hate him, you have to respect the decision Nebraska made to keep Coach Miles for the following season. If you don't, you're part of the reason we will fail, if we fail.

Are you saying that if we would have cheered harder for Bo that he would still be here and winning 10-12 games a year?

Didn't intend to make this about Bo at all. Just getting the same feeling from the fan base. It's disgusting.

The fan base is wanting results. I don't think that's such a bad thing to ask for.

He gave results once... That's more than you can say for most of the rest of the entire history of Nebrasketball

You can't use the "history of Nebrsaketball" as an excuse. Yeah, Miles rattled off a great month and made it to the tournament, but he also has the worst record of any NU basketball coach in history (at least in the last 60 years).

It doesn't change the fact that it still happened.

Where did it go wrong?

Out of Position?

It doesn't change the fact that it still happened.

Just like it doesn't change that Miles has completely sucked for the rest of his tenure at NU.

• Fire 6

Where did it go wrong?

Out of Position?

He gave results once... That's more than you can say for most of the rest of the entire history of Nebrasketball.

This is a dumb argument.

He has gone 41-55 (.427) overall and 17-37 (.325) in conference since taking the team to the dance.

Ok how about this. I think we can all agree if the basketball team has another bad year Miles will be gone and we may have been better off firing him now.

But what if Miles has a successful season and keeps his job, does he have this team set up to sustain that success? Or would we be seeing a one off like his last successful season appears to be? If the success can't be sustained and we are back to sucking shortly after, will we be better off because of the one successful season?

Ok how about this. I think we can all agree if the basketball team has another bad year Miles will be gone and we may have been better off firing him now.

But what if Miles has a successful season and keeps his job, does he have this team set up to sustain that success? Or would we be seeing a one off like his last successful season appears to be? If the success can't be sustained and we are back to sucking shortly after, will we be better off because of the one successful season?

It's do or die for Tim. If he dances, we dance.

Where did it go wrong?

Out of Position?

He gave results once... That's more than you can say for most of the rest of the entire history of Nebrasketball.

This is a dumb argument.

He has gone 41-55 (.427) overall and 17-37 (.325) in conference since taking the team to the dance.

THEN WHY is he still our coach? Because he is. You can't argue that. What say thee?

It's do or die for Tim. If he dances, we dance.

That wasn't the answer to the question I posed whatsoever. I know that. But when we look back will the dancing mean anything(sustained success, repeat trips to NCAA tourney) or will it just be a feel good moment that does nothing for our future except to ensure that Miles is in it? Because if it's the latter, that's almost worse than a trainwreck of a season and hitting the restart button

Where did it go wrong?

Out of Position?

This is a dumb argument.

THEN WHY is he still our coach? Because he is. You can't argue that. What say thee?

I don't know why he is still our coach. You would have to ask Eichorst/Boehm that.

I can argue that I don't believe that he should still be our coach. His teams have shown nothing over the past 3 years that would lead me to believe that he should be retained. Hell, he basically had the same team in 2015 that he took to the dance in 2014 and led them to a 13-18 record. And that team quit on him en route to dropping its last 9 games.

Wonder what types of athletes/players Miles replaces all these transfers with.We are in on two recruits so far and one ready to play transfer from Winthrop if I recall correctly. Tim might be after him to give us some good bench minutes for Jordy if he decides to play Copeland at the 4. Thomas Allen and his friend are somewhat interested and outside of those guys any transfer we are in on would have to sit out a year.

Ideally we need.

A solid back up point guard that can shoot.

A guard that can stand outside the arc and make threes and play great defense.

A big man to fill the void that's been left behind.

Gill could play the 1, so we may be going after a shooting guard, but only if Gill wants to be in a back up role. I assume he will start Gill at the 2 though.

I don't dislike Miles. He seems to be a nice guy - at least his public image ... won't go farther than that. He seems to do *most* things above average as it pertains to his job. He recruits relatively well. He's funny. He's good with the media and fans.

Unfortunately, the few things he lacks are the things that really matter the most - the ability to put a team together and, apparently, the ability to connect with players enough to keep guys around. And for as much all the other stuff is nice, at some point it simply doesn't matter when the product you put out on the floor is significantly below average.

Miles has almost every advantage imaginable compare to other coaches that have been here. He has an arena that is on par with most of the best college arenas in the country. He has a practice facility that is literally as good or better than any in the country - at any level. He has - supposedly - as much talent as we've had in at least 20 years.

Yet for all that, he's been within one loss of the school record four out of five years here. If you have all those advantages and continue to be about the worst we've ever been, really the only conclusion left to reach is that he is a sub-par coach.

That's the sad truth of it.

• Fire 1