Final Thoughts on Transfers

I'm tired of rolling through all the Hate-Miles posts in each thread, so I'm just going to address it all in a new thread.

This is starting to get the feeling of Bo's final year at Nebraska. Hate and malcontent from every which direction you look. Obviously the circumstances are quite different, but from my viewpoint, the fan angst is nearly identical.

Where did it go wrong?

Well, losing of course. Miles hasn't won. Well, Nebraska has never won to be exact. That's not to say it's okay that Miles has been below average, but it is a measuring stick for the entire program as a whole. Expectations finally existed after Miles was hired, new arena and a NCAA tournament berth. Good on Miles. Unfortunately for Miles those expecations rose, after those 3 things happened, and he hasn't measured up since.

It's on him. He hasn't been able to recruit "team first" guys. He hasn't been able to recruit legitimate depth at the 5 nor has he been able to recruit a true stretch 4. Those are his biggest shortcomings. If he hits on a couple of those guys, every other problem that fans and beat writers are discussing, haven't even occurred.

The guys he has landed, have been highly touted recruits. We have all seen the numbers, basically, the best collection of talented (by the stars), Nebrasketball has ever had. Did it work? Obviously not.

Miles can coach. He proved it in 2013-14. I know, 1 season. In that year though, he was able to get supreme buy-in from transfer players. Keep that thought in mind as my piece winds down.

Miles biggest selling point? Tai Webster.

He needs to be selling 1 man. TW. His only recruit at Nebraska to have played his entire career under him thus far. Talent development has been brought to question many times around these parts. But, who better to judge than the only player that has been under Miles for 4 years? How about that? Toss on the HS film of Mr. Webster. "Well son, what do you think of this guy?" Then toss on his tape of his senior season. "Well, this is who we helped turn him into at Nebraska."

Out of Position?

Most of us have heard allllll about Miles inability to play guys at their actual positions. Why do you believe it? From rumors and comments from player's themselves, the starting lineup (sans transfers), would've looked a lot like this in 2017-18 if players had their way: 5: Tshimanga 4: Jacobsen/Roby 3: Morrow 2: Taylor 1: Watson.

WOOF. What's the plus/minus of that lineup in the game? That's literally what a few players self-evaluation was. You can be mad at Miles all you want, and you can blame him for losing "good" players that led Nebraska to 12-19, but at the end of the day, can you really blame the man for not allowing kids to play "OUT OF POSITION?"

The Future, if Miles has one.

Glynn Watson's further development in year 3, is Plan A.

- Watson has shown flashes of being a primetime B1G scorer. Can he take another step?

Nana Akenten is going to be an integral part of Nebrasketball going forward. He absolutely HAS to be one of those Freshmen to make Miles some hay.

J-O-R-D-Y. If he is the big man Miles believes he can be, there is a chance.

The Transfers. This a startling good group of transfers Miles has assembled. If he can get that buy-in from 2013-14, then this team has a chance to be outstanding.

The remaining 4. Miles absolutely has to get a couple big guys. He has to find a way to fill the void left by Morrow/Jacobsen. It is obviously under heavy scrutiny what type of void that is, but they both provided value on the glass, without a question. Miles would be best served to find some shooters as well with his remaining open spots. If I'm Miles, i'm not taking guys that can't play until 2018-2019, for obvious reasons. He needs guys that can play tomorrow.

Like him or hate him, you have to respect the decision Nebraska made to keep Coach Miles for the following season. If you don't, you're part of the reason we will fail, if we fail.

• Fire 4

Many blame TM for his inability to recruit 5's and 4's. His offense only works when he has at least 2 players on the floor that can hit 3's consistently. He also needs a player who can drive the lane. He doesn't need a huge scoring big in the middle, just one who can rebound and hold his own on defense. When NU made the NCAA run, Petteway and Pitchford were hitting three's and the offense was clicking. Nearly all our big wins since were when a few players were able to hit three's. The L'ville kid was supposed to be "that guy" this year.

Many blame TM for his inability to recruit 5's and 4's. His offense only works when he has at least 2 players on the floor that can hit 3's consistently. He also needs a player who can drive the lane. He doesn't need a huge scoring big in the middle, just one who can rebound and hold his own on defense. When NU made the NCAA run, Petteway and Pitchford were hitting three's and the offense was clicking. Nearly all our big wins since were when a few players were able to hit three's. The L'ville kid was supposed to be "that guy" this year.

Even though Ray Gallegos wasnt hitting, the threat of him opened up that offense GREATLY

I'm tired of rolling through all the Hate-Miles posts in each thread, so I'm just going to address it all in a new thread.

This is starting to get the feeling of Bo's final year at Nebraska. Hate and malcontent from every which direction you look. Obviously the circumstances are quite different, but from my viewpoint, the fan angst is nearly identical.

Where did it go wrong?

Well, losing of course. Miles hasn't won. Well, Nebraska has never won to be exact. That's not to say it's okay that Miles has been below average, but it is a measuring stick for the entire program as a whole. Expectations finally existed after Miles was hired, new arena and a NCAA tournament berth. Good on Miles. Unfortunately for Miles those expecations rose, after those 3 things happened, and he hasn't measured up since.

It's on him. He hasn't been able to recruit "team first" guys. He hasn't been able to recruit legitimate depth at the 5 nor has he been able to recruit a true stretch 4. Those are his biggest shortcomings. If he hits on a couple of those guys, every other problem that fans and beat writers are discussing, haven't even occurred.

The guys he has landed, have been highly touted recruits. We have all seen the numbers, basically, the best collection of talented (by the stars), Nebrasketball has ever had. Did it work? Obviously not.

Miles can coach. He proved it in 2013-14. I know, 1 season. In that year though, he was able to get supreme buy-in from transfer players. Keep that thought in mind as my piece winds down.

He needs to be selling 1 man. TW. His only recruit at Nebraska to have played his entire career under him thus far. Talent development has been brought to question many times around these parts. But, who better to judge than the only player that has been under Miles for 4 years? How about that? Toss on the HS film of Mr. Webster. "Well son, what do you think of this guy?" Then toss on his tape of his senior season. "Well, this is who we helped turn him into at Nebraska."

Out of Position?

Most of us have heard allllll about Miles inability to play guys at their actual positions. Why do you believe it? From rumors and comments from player's themselves, the starting lineup (sans transfers), would've looked a lot like this in 2017-18 if players had their way: 5: Tshimanga 4: Jacobsen/Roby 3: Morrow 2: Taylor 1: Watson.

WOOF. What's the plus/minus of that lineup in the game? That's literally what a few players self-evaluation was. You can be mad at Miles all you want, and you can blame him for losing "good" players that led Nebraska to 12-19, but at the end of the day, can you really blame the man for not allowing kids to play "OUT OF POSITION?"

- Watson has shown flashes of being a primetime B1G scorer. Can he take another step?

Nana Akenten is going to be an integral part of Nebrasketball going forward. He absolutely HAS to be one of those Freshmen to make Miles some hay.

The Transfers. This a startling good group of transfers Miles has assembled. If he can get that buy-in from 2013-14, then this team has a chance to be outstanding.

The remaining 4. Miles absolutely has to get a couple big guys. He has to find a way to fill the void left by Morrow/Jacobsen. It is obviously under heavy scrutiny what type of void that is, but they both provided value on the glass, without a question. Miles would be best served to find some shooters as well with his remaining open spots. If I'm Miles, i'm not taking guys that can't play until 2018-2019, for obvious reasons. He needs guys that can play tomorrow.

Like him or hate him, you have to respect the decision Nebraska made to keep Coach Miles for the following season. If you don't, you're part of the reason we will fail, if we fail.

Are you saying that if we would have cheered harder for Bo that he would still be here and winning 10-12 games a year?

• Fire 3

Where did it go wrong?

Out of Position?

Are you saying that if we would have cheered harder for Bo that he would still be here and winning 10-12 games a year?

Didn't intend to make this about Bo at all. Just getting the same feeling from the fan base. It's disgusting.

I hope all our highly touted players don't transfer, then we'll suck...oh wait.

P.S. - Miles will be nothing more than an average coach next year as well (I would love to be wrong but I just don't see it)

So, are we better or worse if Miles is an average coach? Also, what happens when you already sucked with the highly rated players?

Where did it go wrong?

Out of Position?

Didn't intend to make this about Bo at all. Just getting the same feeling from the fan base. It's disgusting.

The fan base is wanting results. I don't think that's such a bad thing to ask for.

• Fire 5

I hope all our highly touted players don't transfer, then we'll suck...oh wait.

P.S. - Miles will be nothing more than an average coach next year as well (I would love to be wrong but I just don't see it)

So, are we better or worse if Miles is an average coach? Also, what happens when you already sucked with the highly rated players?

Well we were much worse than average this year so I guess we would be better if he was average next year. However, average coaching is never going to take this program to the heights fans want to see and Miles is a career .500 coach.

That was the joke...but wouldn't that come back to coaching?

As much as I like Miles and want him to succeed, numbers just don't lie. The fact that he has the worst winning percentage out of all Nebraska coaches really nails home how bad things are. There's this perception of how great of talent he brings in and all the success he's had in the past. All that sounds great but when you just aren't getting the wins things need to change. Hopefully the tide will turn next year, but the odds aren't looking good.

Just for fun I looked up the odds of Nebraska winning the NCAA tourney next year. +25000 LOL

Where did it go wrong?

Out of Position?

You mean like fans that are rooting for the team to lose? Yeah, that is sort of lame. I know what you mean.

• Fire 2

Where did it go wrong?

Out of Position?

The fan base is wanting results. I don't think that's such a bad thing to ask for.

He gave results once... That's more than you can say for most of the rest of the entire history of Nebrasketball.