** 2017 Opponent Previews: Purdue (Game 8) **

CollegeFootballNews.com

Purdue hired the “aw, (bleep)” guy.

As in, when Big Ten coaches saw who the Boilermakers brought on, they had to have said, “aw (bleep), we have to deal with this now?”

No one’s thinking Purdue will turn into a Big Ten powerhouse and challenge for a College Football Playoff spot anytime soon. And no one with a working brain will reasonable assume that new head coach Jeff Brohm will be a lifer in West Lafayette if he has even the slightest bit of success. But this is the right coach with the right offense to throw a scare into the rest of the league.

Read the rest: 2017 Purdue Preview: Brohm The Scary-Good Hire

2017 Purdue Preview: What You Need To Know

2017 Purdue Schedule Analysis

HuskerOnline: Spring opponent Preview - Purdue

Nebraska will travel to Purdue this year hoping to erase memories of their embarrassing loss in West Lafayette in 2015.

The Boilermakers will have a new coach in Jeff Brohm trying to get things turned around in 2017. HOL caught up with GoldandBlack.com's Stacy Cardie to get her take on Purdue coming out of the spring.

Overall 2017 win-loss expectation

"I think 2 to 3 wins is what's realistic. If you just look at the schedule, it's probably the worst case scenario as far as schedule. You bring Michigan on the schedule, then they play at Wisconsin and at Iowa. I think it's going to be difficult to get to 4 wins this year. You really hope you can start by getting one in your opener against Ohio. A lot hinges on that Ohio game, because if you can't beat them in the season opener on a Friday night under the lights, that might be pretty telling how your season might go."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/spring-opponent-recap-purdue

Athlon Sports: Purdue 2017 Preview & Prediction

Brohm was hired in December to replace the fired Darrell Hazell, who was 9–33 in three-plus seasons with the Boilermakers, including only 3–24 in the Big Ten and a horrific 0–14 in the month of November.

While Brohm has a talented and experienced quarterback in Blough, Purdue’s September schedule isn’t exactly conducive to a quick turnaround. The Boilermakers open on Sept. 2 against Louisville in Indianapolis’ Lucas Oil Stadium before playing Ohio University in West Lafayette, then travel to Missouri before entertaining Michigan on Sept. 23.

Brohm will have to rely on young players on the offensive line and transfers at wide receiver. Purdue likely will feature an exciting offense and an improved defense, but winning more than three or four games will be a challenge for Brohm and his coaching staff.

National Ranking: 84

Big Ten West Prediction: 6

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/purdue-football-2017-boilermakers-preview-and-prediction

SBNation: How 2017 can show Jeff Brohm was a great hire for Purdue

Even if the Boilermakers don’t win many more games just yet.

The most intriguing hires are the ones that both portend quality and make a nod toward a happy history. The most frustrating hires are the ones that do neither.

Purdue’s hire of Darrell Hazell in 2013 fell into the latter category for me. I gave it a B+ when it was first made, but when the time came to write the Purdue preview that summer, I was increasingly lukewarm. I called it taking the mannequin home — finding the most Big Ten person available, with the deepest Big Ten ties, and asking that guy to win in the Big Ten. Hazell was a longtime Jim Tressel assistant who played safe, focused on defense and ball control, and had had one good year as a head coach.

The hire was sensible, but it in no way acknowledged Purdue’s history. Over the last 60 years, the school has made three good football hires...

2016 record and S&P+ ranking: 3-9 (105th)

Projected 2017 record and S&P+ ranking: 3-9 (87th)

Biggest strength: If healthy, the defensive front seven could have the type of disruptive presence its coordinator asks for.

Biggest question mark: How long will it take a new receiving corps to provide some sort of threat?

Biggest 2017 game: I’m going to say the trip to Rutgers (Oct. 21). It comes on the heels of four likely losses and will serve as a test of confidence for a home stretch that includes a couple of tossups and few, if any, sure losses.

Summary: On paper, hiring Brohm made a ton of sense, and his next iffy offense will be his first in quite a while. But looking at what he inherits, it’s safe to hope for four wins and set real expectations beginning in 2018.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/20/15798188/purdue-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

More to come...

• Fire 1

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...