• You cannot reply to this topic
77 replies to this topic

#51 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

I dug up the penis (it's actually a type of clam) photo and a photo of the girl in the titty-showing tube top to use as my signature but now I suppose I can't do that.

#52 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,937 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

I dug up the penis (it's actually a type of clam) photo and a photo of the girl in the titty-showing tube top to use as my signature but now I suppose I can't do that.

Is it a geoduck?

That's what it looked like to me

2wroncj.jpg#RunTheDamnBall  2wrfc5h.jpg

EAT THE RICH

#53 Thanks_Tom RR

Wizard of Osborne

• Mods
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

Update: we're removing the ads. Yay! Thanks, Blackshirt.

Looks like you were 3 minutes too late for that quip, Moiraine. It's a thin line between a salient point and... dedhoarse

^_^

#54 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

I thought it was an elephant's tusk :lol:

But yeah. That was a bit of a problem.
check us out @Huskerboard !

#55 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Now I suppose if I want to donate I click the fall $500 thingie that's been up there for 2 years?

#56 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

Now I suppose if I want to donate I click the fall $500 thingie that's been up there for 2 years?

That should work. Please don't feel obligated, of course.

Ideally I'd like to see HB become self-sustainable with a low ad footprint, but I don't know how feasible that is. I'm attempting to push for a switch to a regular (monthly) donation drive, and I expect we'll also try and find less intrusive ad services. Can't promise how effective either of these things will be, but hopefully we'll at least have some options to explore.

#57 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:26 AM

That should work. Please don't feel obligated, of course.

Ideally I'd like to see HB become self-sustainable with a low ad footprint, but I don't know how feasible that is. I'm attempting to push for a switch to a regular (monthly) donation drive, and I expect we'll also try and find less intrusive ad services. Can't promise how effective either of these things will be, but hopefully we'll at least have some options to explore.

Could we add a Paypal button for the donations?

#58 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Update: we're removing the ads. Yay! Thanks, Blackshirt.

wfa.gif

The stupidity of some of our fans never ceases to amaze me. - ADS

#59 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,876 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

In the future, it's probably not a workable idea to install ads for revenue, then tell your users to block the ads using software.  My understanding is that using adblock software prevents the impression of the ad at all. It's self-defeating.

I clicked on the donation thing up there to chip in some $$$ to defray costs, but it said the connection wasn't secure.  I'd rather send a check or PayPal.  Any other options available?

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#60 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

It's certainly self-defeating. But I'm personally not going to encourage anyone to view ads, even if this limits board revenue. Ads are a scourge. They should all be blocked. My humble opinion as a user :D

I'm asking Blackshirt about other options and trying to see if we can get something to replace what's up there now. Stay tuned. We might be doing some experimenting this summer.

#61 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,558 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

In the future, it's probably not a workable idea to install ads for revenue, then tell your users to block the ads using software.  My understanding is that using adblock software prevents the impression of the ad at all. It's self-defeating.

I clicked on the donation thing up there to chip in some $$$ to defray costs, but it said the connection wasn't secure.  I'd rather send a check or PayPal.  Any other options available?

Yup, same. Except a check. Because I'm not a retiree.

;)

WFKrsLn.jpg

#62 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

Same here.

In fact, how about a permanent paypal donation link? If you think it's tacky, make it a small button and add it to the bottom of the page (But not a popup). Lots of people put them on their youtube channels.

#63 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,558 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

Same here.

In fact, how about a permanent paypal donation link? If you think it's tacky, make it a small button and add it to the bottom of the page (But not a popup). Lots of people put them on their youtube channels.

Agreed. Plus, I doubt it can be any more obtrusive than the ads we have been seeing.

WFKrsLn.jpg

#64 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

What I'd like to see is a monthly progress meter. In the meantime, I dug up this link:

http://www.huskerboa...oard-donors.htm

I think it still works?...I believe someone used this a couple months ago.

#65 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

zoogs - have you ever thought of having a huskerboard patreon?

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

#66 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

Hm, I haven't looked into that very much. It'd be neat, since sustaining web hosts does rely on patronage. However, they take a veryslightly larger cut than, for example, Donorbox. Anyway, this is all Blackshirt's call in the end. I also wonder if HB qualifies here -- HB isn't creating art. This is art:

cheeseburger.png

(Relatedly: http://www.poorlydra...-lines-patreon/ :D)

But it might be good to just have multiple options and that way, people can use whatever they're comfortable with. A paypal button, Patreon especially if they already use that, etc. I'll pass along all the suggestions.

#67 ZRod

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Thank you fellas!

#68 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

THANK YOU!

"Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#69 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

What's worse? National Enquiresqe ads about bald women and ugly feet or ads that hijack your phone so that you have to close your browser to get out of it? IMO, what is happening now is much worse than some poor taste ad boxes.
post-130-0-71012400-1485562235.png

BC- HANDLING THE HARD STUFF FOR HUSKERBOARD!
Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while... you don't do the right thing once in a while...you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.-Vince Lombardi

#70 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

And yet, only 4 people have donated less than $100 toward off setting the cost of the site.

"Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#71 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:41 AM

And yet, only 4 people have donated less than $100 toward off setting the cost of the site.

Maybe there needs to be some way that the donation opts you out of the advertising? I made a small donation awhile back and I'm still subjected to the same ads as others. Just an idea, don't know if it's practical.

Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while... you don't do the right thing once in a while...you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.-Vince Lombardi

#72 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

Actually, I do know it is practical. Amazing Ribs site has something like that. If you pay to join their "club", there are no ads.

#73 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

Maybe there needs to be some way that the donation opts you out of the advertising? I made a small donation awhile back and I'm still subjected to the same ads as others. Just an idea, don't know if it's practical.

That would be great - I like to think that people step up and contribute because it's the right thing to do, but that isn't the case.  Very sad when you look at the thousands of profiles of people who come here.  Even $5 from most would be a nice little windfall to fund the site.

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#74 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

These shouldn't be happening, period, and we've been asking the ad guys to look into it. I haven't managed to encounter it personally, but I don't typically browse on mobile devices in the desktop skin and only tried looking for it briefly this morning. Also, I do think we've managed to nip it in the bud for now... but please let us know if they continue.

#75 Enhance89

Legend

• Members
  • 10,233 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:03 AM

Is it also possible to get the top banner ad (I think it's a 728x90 ad) centered? Here's how it displays on my computer: it sort of jumbles the top portion of the site a bit.

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 9.01.35 AM.png   412.89KB   0 downloads

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am the Marquess of A--clownery

#76 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Try now?

#77 Enhance89

Legend

• Members
  • 10,233 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

Love it - I think that looks a lot cleaner.

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am the Marquess of A--clownery

#78 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Great! Thanks for the suggestion.

Please let me know if the browser hijacking is still happening, by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users