Vanilla Spring Game Defense

I get the point. But I think it's pretty over-exaggerated. Not just in this case - in general.

It's not like it's the NFL where you play to competition right off the bat. It's only going to be a total surprise to Arkansas State. And if that's what we need to beat them, we're in trouble. To some extent it would affect the Oregon game. Then after that it's Rutgers and Illinois. We'll have played five games before we really get to an opponent where the game really matters and they'll have a pretty good idea what we're doing at that point. Certainly nothing that playing your base defense in a spring game is going to change.

The point is, if you show it all today, they have 5 months to review. If you show it in September, they have 5 weeks, but at the same time, they have to prepare for their upcoming opponent first.

Yep, there are no options between show it all and show none of it.

• Fire 2

Under previous regimes, we were vanilla and I thought it was because we were "hiding the good stuff" only to find out throughout the season that the product we saw is all that they had. No shake, no bake and mostly break..... Diaco announced at the beginning it'd be vanilla. I actually believe this guy. From his comments, reputation and more importantly the players themselves. If not this year, next years D will be pretty salty.

I also agree in not tipping your hand. No one has seen us in a 3-4, much like when Bo, in the game against MSU, had the DL standing up the entire game.....A sight and chess match to behold. I think we will see this creativity game in and game out with Diaco...

Yes, I don't agree with this. They've had 14 practices with Diaco. There's a long way to go until the first game. Better to make good use of the extra practice.

This is a really, truly odd decision. I completely agree with the arguments Mavric laid out and you guys know I'm not even skeptical about this staff.

I'm not saying it's a bad decision. I just think the reasoning given is making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill. It's not like we're the only school in the country that runs a 3-4.

But zoogs brings up a good point as well. Would probably be better to not "waste" a practice opportunity to work on the defense more. Especially one of the few that involved live tackling.

• Fire 1

Yes, I don't agree with this. They've had 14 practices with Diaco. There's a long way to go until the first game. Better to make good use of the extra practice.This is a really, truly odd decision. I completely agree with the arguments Mavric laid out and you guys know I'm not even skeptical about this staff.

Coaches are are more secrative than trump is about his taxes (ohhhh...some of you will hate this)

• Fire 2

I don't think it's that big of a deal either way. Showing the 3-4 now, in an intersquad scrimmage after only 15 days of it, probably wouldn't amount to jack for our opponents come fall. Don't show it and you for sure haven't given anything away. It's just a spring practice game. The only ones suffering are the fans that want to see it. Me thinks we can wait. If we're really lucky, we won't even see all the blitz packages and wrinkles until Wiscy/tOSU time.